Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Better than men raping innocent people. Prostitution helps because they pay for their needs and don't need to molest anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Better than men raping innocent people. Prostitution helps because they pay for their needs and don't need to molest anyone else.
    oh my god, its not just men who buy sex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    So you find it disgraceful/immoral etc, that's fine. But do you really think it should be the goverment's position to moralise for us? (And in doing so force people involved into a seedy underworld, 'regulated' only by criminals, who let's be honest are likely to be rather less fastidious in the way they operate.)
    Well, some will say its fine but they'll never argue its "morally acceptable" to be selling your body. If we made buying sex legal,[SIZE=2] we still have the many activities related to prostitution such as kerb crawling, brothel keeping, pimping and soliciting to tackle so making it legal wont resolve the problems.

ReputationRep:
    what happened to my post? lol

probably got deleted:

ReputationRep:
    Whatever floats your boat and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong... so wrong...

Don't sell your body people!

ReputationRep:
    It's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    I'm still not getting it. Dentistry's not good career progression? Dentistry is degrading? Prostitution is better than dentistry? I can't even begin to understand your logic.
    Dentistry is not a good career progression if, as statistics dictate, the climax of the career is your own self-inflicted death. I can't think of a worse career progression, prostitution certainly isn't worse.

Dentistry is degrading... yes. I would think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_<3_you)
    my opinion: Its sick,and degrading and a shameful thing. Why buy love? wait you cant do that! :rolleyes: i despise anyone involved in it, even if it turns out to be a good friend
    It's not love. It's sex. LOL

ReputationRep:
    It's probably morally wrong, and degrades a woman as a sex object tbh. And, we all know women are not sex objects, etc. However if it's going to happen illegally, it's better for it to be legalised and a 'sin' tax made of it, for various reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Being able to get more than a thousand per night...
    Doesn't seem as bad as it may be.

ReputationRep:
    Lmfao yes, every dentist kills themself. Suicide rates are higher in doctors. Does that mean you're going to decry medicine as degrading?

I'll drop out now and become a prostitute. I'll tell the doctors too.

What a ridiculous logic. Speak to me in three years when I'm earning triple your salary
    More dentists kill themselves than prostitutes, that's all I'm saying. It MUST be a degrading profession otherwise that wouldn't be the case, eh? Depressing, boring, undignified.

What about Medicine? What makes you think that I respect medicine any more than dentistry? Don't be silly. Being a doctor is degrading. You devote your entire life to a profession where you are a servant to the ungrateful... that's degrading in my opinion.

And, yes, very original of a dentistry student to bring SALARIES into it hahahahahahahaha. If the financial benefits of your career are the only advantages you can cite, and is your only justification for entering such a depressing vocation, then I pity you, I really do... considering the fact that massive financial payoffs are a property of prostitution...

If I wanted to be a dentist, I would have been. But I didn't... so your 'salary' arguments are meaningless here.

ReputationRep:
    Neither right nor wrong. Indeed, to describe it as inherently either right or wrong is ridiculous. If the prostitutes are badly treated or unhappy doing what they do, then it is wrong they should have to do it, but if all involved benefit and are perfectly happy with the situation, then it could be said to be right. And if a prostitute is skilled, clever and offers the kind of service it'd be hard to get without paying, there is really nothing to separate her (or him) from more 'respectable' leisure industries apart from prejudice. I do not even think prostitution is inherently degrading - of course, it can be degrading, and often is. But it need not be, unless some ridiculous standards are applied to say that a prostitute must be degraded even if she doesn't feel that she is. And on the edges of the sex trade, we have the professional dominatrices - most of whom won't have sex with clients but are nonetheless often considered prostitutes. Is a dominatrix being degraded when a businessman pays her £300 an hour to be beaten and humiliated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    I'm not saying that I agree with prostitution, not at all. But I think that girls who sleep around are equally bad, yet they're getting nothing for it..
    What a load of pig ****. The difference is they are a picking men/women that they want to have sex with. Prostitutes don't get to pick. And do you have the same narrow minded opinion toward men "sleeping around"?

ReputationRep:
    How many studies do you think have been conducted into an illegal, unregulated trade such as prostitution? How do you know the suicide rate? Source plz.

And no, salary isn't the only thing I love about my course. I love it when patients thank me for helping them, or talking down a phobic patient. But you're only going to poke silly little holes in anything I say.

I think engineering is depressing, boring and undignified. I can make unfounded statements about something I know nothing about too
    But that's not what you chose to cite. You chose to take your salary and run with it. What is it about your dentists salary that makes you think I'll be depressed knowing that you'll earn more than me? What is it about your bank balance that makes you think you're better than me? What is it about your profession and life path that makes you think you're better than prostitutes?

Get off your high horse.

I really hope you're not a home-grown Glaswegian. That would disappoint me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlanetTea)
    What a load of pig ****. The difference is they are a picking men/women that they want to have sex with. Prostitutes don't get to pick. And do you have the same narrow minded opinion toward men "sleeping around"?

Getting so drunk in a club that you end up going with practically anyone, and waking up in the morning hardly remembering what you did? That's picking is it? It happens, every weekend, true story.

And yes, I'm sorry that my post was gender specific. But I don't agree with either sex sleeping around. I don't agree with prostitution either, if you read my posts carefully, but I can't really distinguish between the two, except one is for money, one is for ....? Well I can't think of any reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it is morally wrong in every single case. Some women are happy to do it, I'm sure.

However I don't believe it should be legal. I don't think selling sex should be illegal, but paying for it should, because it is exploitative.

My views on this are exactly the same (or at least very, very similar) to my views on whether selling your own organs for transplant should be illegal. In theory, it's not always wrong. Some organ-sellers would be doing it out of choice, and not being exploited. But if it were legal, there would always be people who have no choice, or feel they have no choice but to do it. Legalising either would violate a person's right to their own body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    men rape 4 power not sex

ReputationRep:
    It's fine if that's what they want to do. I just don't want to hear about it in thousands of trashy, hideous memoirs that keep being published by nobrains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    I don't believe it is morally wrong in every single case. Some women are happy to do it, I'm sure.

However I don't believe it should be legal. I don't think selling sex should be illegal, but paying for it should, because it is exploitative.

My views on this are exactly the same (or at least very, very similar) to my views on whether selling your own organs for transplant should be illegal. In theory, it's not always wrong. Some organ-sellers would be doing it out of choice, and not being exploited. But if it were legal, there would always be people who have no choice, or feel they have no choice but to do it. Legalising either would violate a person's right to their own body.
    In America in the 1970s they offered to pay for people giving blood - the number of donors plummeted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.