Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    In America in the 1970s they offered to pay for people giving blood - the number of donors plummeted.
    Right. But I bet some people did it because they needed money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Right. But I bet some people did it because they needed money.
    The point is that when a price was put on it, people no longer wanted to do it as it seemed "dirty" rather than a good deed - I was suggesting the organ donor comparison sucked. Also if a price was put on organs or blood it could become like gold or oil - people knifing people for their blood etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    The point is that when a price was put on it, people no longer wanted to do it as it seemed "dirty" rather than a good deed - I was suggesting the organ donor comparison sucked. Also if a price was put on organs or blood it could become like gold or oil - people knifing people for their blood etc etc.
    I don't see how the comparison sucked. Both involve the exploitation of someone's body.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how the comparison sucked. Both involve the exploitation of someone's body.
    But the reason why selling organs/blood for money is banned is because it stops people from wanting to give them. If prostitution was legal would women stop wanting to have one night stands?

ReputationRep:
    But the reason why selling organs/blood for money is banned is because it stops people from wanting to give them.
    I don't care what the reason for it being illegal is, I didn't create the laws. I am coming from a moral perspective. These are the reasons I believe it should be illegal.

If prostitution was legal would women stop wanting to have one night stands?
    Erm, no?

One night stands and giving blood are in no way similar. One is an altruistic act, and one is for primarily one's own enjoyment.

ReputationRep:
    If we can defend prostitution, we can defend the mafia.

I don't believe it is morally wrong in every single case. Some women are happy to do it, I'm sure.

However I don't believe it should be legal. I don't think selling sex should be illegal, but paying for it should, because it is exploitative.
    What? Buying it is exploitative but selling it isn't? how so? Isn't the prostitute "exploiting" the customer whose circumstances have driven them to paying for sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    If the person is interested in some kind of opinion poll, they should be made aware that a larger than expected amount of people may think it is okay. TSR is extremely sexually liberal, perhaps more so than the general public, so someone shouldn't take any kind of poll result here into a conversation with someone.
    your argument here is flawed - you disagree with a poll becasue so many people are apprently in favour of it. surely that is teh point of a poll to find and gauge peoples opinions. Another flaw is the demographic on here, young modern people (for the most part) made up of 16- 21 and 22-30 year olds forming a second demographic. by that logic if the majority on here were opposed to it a poll would again be useless

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing how they charge like 100 to 150 GBP for an hour that is non-taxable! A lot of people are pulling 8 hour days and earn that in about a couple of days. They could work a day or two and provide "services" and still make as much as someone on the minimum wage for a month. What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    your argument here is flawed - you disagree with a poll becasue so many people are apprently in favour of it. surely that is teh point of a poll to find and gauge peoples opinions. Another flaw is the demographic on here, young modern people (for the most part) made up of 16- 21 and 22-30 year olds forming a second demographic. by that logic if the majority on here were opposed to it a poll would again be useless

I think we've understood each other.

I said, if someone is interested in some kind of poll of the opinion of the general public on an issue like this, TSR probably wont be the place to look because like you said, the demographic will most likely swing to one of the options more so and this probably will not represent the opinion of the general public. Having said that, I have never come across a group like TSR so sexually liberal so I question as to how much TSR actually represents the opinion of the youth demographic with issues concerncing sex.

Take that into consideration, I don't know how this "argument" can be considered flawed when I'm basically saying is; you might want to note the general attitude of people here before you take into account the pending results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    What? Buying it is exploitative but selling it isn't? how so? Isn't the prostitute "exploiting" the customer whose circumstances have driven them to paying for sex?
    Erm, no. Buying sex exploits the person you are using for sex. Selling it does not exploit anyone, except possibly other people who are selling sex because then the market is there/expected.

"whose circumstances have driven them to paying for sex"

WTF.

Buying sex exploits the person you are using for sex.
    How, any more than selling sex exploits the person you are using for money?

(You might have missed the part of my post which asked this -- because you obviously have an enitrely rational logic, and not just some thinly-veiled feminist agenda -- so i'll forgive you.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    It's amazing how they charge like 100 to 150 GBP for an hour that is non-taxable! A lot of people are pulling 8 hour days and earn that in about a couple of days. They could work a day or two and provide "services" and still make as much as someone on the minimum wage for a month. What a joke.
    It is taxable, they are self employed.
    If it is purely tax, then talk to an account as to how self employed people fiddle a alot of taxes... like hair cuts, petrol etc, bouncers get money back for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    If it is purely tax, then talk to an account as to how self employed people fiddle a alot of taxes... like hair cuts, petrol etc, bouncers get money back for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by layla_1234)
    The tax can be evaded from self employment though. But still, even if tax was levied the point still stands.

ReputationRep:
    How, any more than selling sex exploits the person you are using for money?

(You might have missed the part of my post which asked this -- because you obviously have an enitrely rational logic, and not just some thinly-veiled feminist agenda -- so i'll forgive you.)
    How does it exploit someone for money? Oh wait, I forgot that men don't have brains and can't make the decision themselves, and need sex in the same way a women living in poverty with kids to take care of and a drug habit she can't get out of needs money.

Nice misandry there.

ReputationRep:
    why does a woman have to be on drugs/desperate for the cash?

ReputationRep:
    why does a woman have to be on drugs/desperate for the cash?

How does it exploit someone for money? Oh wait, I forgot that men don't have brains and can't make the decision themselves, and need sex in the same way a women living in poverty with kids to take care of and a drug habit she can't get out of needs money.

Nice misandry there.
    Only women work as prostitutes, only men pay for sex, and all prostitutes are living in poverty with kids to take care of and a drug habbit to feed?

The people buying sex (as you put it, 'men') can make decisions for themselves, just as the people selling sex (as you put it, 'women') can make decisions for themselves. Ideas of sex trafficking etc -- where the voluntary aspect is removed -- I agree are exploitative, but the problem wouldn't be as prevalent if the whole thing was legalised.

So if buying sex is inherently exploitative does this extend to every relationship where monetary provision is involved? Prostitution makes the money aspect explicit, but having money has never hurt a guy's chances of getting laid.

Hugh Hefner apparently has three girlfriends:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Hugh's quite the stud, I'm sure you'll agree.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Only women work as prostitutes, only men pay for sex, and all prostitutes are living in poverty with kids to take care of and a drug habbit to feed?
    No, please read what I wrote. I said that someone would always be forced/feel forced into it, not everyone.

So if buying sex is inherently exploitative does this extend to every relationship where monetary provision is involved?
    I never said buying sex is inherently exploitative. I said the situations in which the woman has no choice are exploitative.

You're making arguments against what you perceive I might think, instead of what I actually said.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.