Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    No, please read what I wrote. I said that someone would always be forced/feel forced into it, not everyone.

I never said buying sex is inherently exploitative. I said the situations in which the woman has no choice are exploitative.

You're making arguments against what you perceive I might think, instead of what I actually said.
    Ah, see I thought you said

(Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    However I don't believe it should be legal. I don't think selling sex should be illegal, but paying for it should, because it is exploitative.
    And why would 'the woman' (not the man, naturally) have no choice? Human trafficking is a different crime altogether.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    Ah, see I thought you said
    Maybe I should have made it clearer, I was referring to it being exploitative overall and not in each individual case. The system would be exploitative. No one should be coerced by their situation into selling sex. If you read my whole reply, you'll see that I said I'm sure some women are perfectly willing and not coerced.

And why would 'the woman' (not the man, naturally) have no choice? Human trafficking is a different crime altogether.
    If either prostitution, or the other example I used (selling your organs) was seen as a legitimate way of making money, people in desperate need of money would use it as a final resort. Doing either of these things would damage the mental and/or physical health of the person in desperate need - thus they are being exploited.

ReputationRep:
    Ideas of sex trafficking etc -- where the voluntary aspect is removed -- I agree are exploitative, but the problem wouldn't be as prevalent if the whole thing was legalised.
    But that isn't the case for places like Holland where the number of trafficked women and children has rised so much, that it's lead to half the brothels being closed by the government.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/opini...s-$1228263.htm

(Original post by rlw31)
    But that isn't the case for places like Holland where the number of trafficked women and children has rised so much, that it's lead to half the brothels being closed by the government.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/opini...s-$1228263.htm
    Interesting point. Of course trafficking is unacceptable but that's largely to do with immigration and border control rather than prostitution. To defeat traffickers the government needs to compete with them. It needs to take take control of supply and in so doing reduce the demand for trafficked workers. Failures of the Dutch system are rooted in not providing a legal route of entry for 'sexual migrants', which would bring supply of voluntary workers in line with demand and eliminate the need for trafficking.

If you criminalise buyers of sex (as nolongerhearthemusic would have), you merely drive/keep prostitution underground, a la Sweden. It wouldn't reduce the demand for prostitution -- demand remains constant, satisfied by both voluntary and trafficked workers.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting point. Of course trafficking is unacceptable but that's largely to do with immigration and border control rather than prostitution. To defeat traffickers the government needs to compete with them. It needs to take take control of supply and in so doing reduce the demand for trafficked workers. Failures of the Dutch system are rooted in not providing a legal route of entry for 'sexual migrants', which would bring supply of voluntary workers in line with demand and eliminate the need for trafficking.

If you criminalise buyers of sex (as nolongerhearthemusic would have), you merely drive/keep prostitution underground, a la Sweden. It wouldn't reduce the demand for prostitution -- demand remains constant, satisfied by both voluntary and trafficked workers.
    But foreigners are allowed to work as prostitutes in Holland.

I don't think that criminalising the buyers of sex alone would help anything. Though I don't really understand why in this country the buyer of sex seems hardly ever seems to receive any punishment when the seller always seems to get into trouble, and you very rarely if ever, hear of pimps getting into trouble.

There are also other problems with the dutch, aussie and kiwi system, for example, in Holland drug dealing within "prostitution zones" is prohibited, so many prostitutes again go "underground" and so these safe zones are undermined. Also in all of these countries there's little evidence that the trafficking of women has decreased either. Other issues are that brothels can easily be used for money laundering and that the prevalence of some sexually transmitted diseases has increased.

Personally, I'm still undecided about whether or not it should be legal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3900361.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    The tax can be evaded from self employment though. But still, even if tax was levied the point still stands.
    I dont understand what you are saying.
    Only a small percentage of people actually are able to charge £100+ per hour and if they are not inderpendent then the agency normally takes 40-60%.
    Work can be slow and difficult.
    There is nothing stopping any one from working selling sex, but only a small percentage are sucessful. they are self employed like strippers and should be paying NI and tax.

ReputationRep:
    What is a student weas to make £150 per day... right or wrong?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.