Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware several universities present their degree certificates in Latin. I'm just wondering if any are still bonkers enough to try and translate graduands' names into Latin, as in this 1923 University of Glasgow one currently being flogged on ebay....

Spoiler:
    Show

(the person's name is apparently Cyril James Baile, and as you can see it rather ridiculously gets translated to Cyrillum Jacobum Baile; also note the Vice Chancellor signing his name as 'Donaldus ______ ')

Idle curiosity really.

I might be tempted to, Libertinus Septentrionalis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    I might be tempted to, Libertinus Septentrionalis.
    Pretension, thy name is Lib. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think you could translate names into different languages?

What would my TSR name be in Latin?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I can't really see the appeal. Though Latin is a lovely language and the foundation of much of ours.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see them translate my Persian name into Latin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    I didn't think you could translate names into different languages?

What would my TSR name be in Latin?
    Bee is bombus, but I don't think there's a Latin word for bubble that doesn't imply something being boiled. And boiling bees just ain't cool.

Edit: I'm going for Bombus Effervesceris though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Bee is bombus, but I don't think there's a Latin word for bubble that doesn't imply something being boiled. And boiling bees just ain't cool.

Edit: I'm going for Bombus Effervescerum though...
    You mean the Romans didn't have bubblebaths? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)

Edit: I'm going for Bombus Effervesceris though...
    Bullitus my dictionary tells me.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly Glasgow doesn't do that any more and it even gives an English translation of the Latin bits :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Bullitus my dictionary tells me.
    Cool. I'm currently imagining Romans pissing about with those massive bubble-making hoops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry skies)
    Sadly Glasgow doesn't do that any more and it even gives an English translation of the Latin bits :eek2:
    Glasgow's actually got the nicest degree certs I've seen. Save for St Andrews, which give you a pleb one for free, or charge you an extra forty quid or something to have one done in Latin, on vellum.

ReputationRep:
    It always seemed rather odd to me that people set such store in learning Latin, it's not like anyone speaks it.
    I would love to be able to read and write in Latin though, I was at a museum in Germany a few years ago and there were hundreds and hundreds of old notebooks this 17th centuary botanist had used, he wrote all his notes in Latin and they looked so beautiful, it felt like I was missing a sense because I couldn't read any of them, kind of like standing next to an amazing painting and not having eyes to see it with.

ReputationRep:
    I tried mine using an online translator - it just came out as "Alexander Fielding".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Glasgow's actually got the nicest degree certs I've seen. Save for St Andrews, which give you a pleb one for free, or charge you an extra forty quid or something to have one done in Latin, on vellum.
    Do Cambridge, do you know, have Latin certificates, for the off chance that I manage to make it in?

ReputationRep:
    Your Name in Latin

Oops! Looks like our database doesn't yet have a Latin equivalent for your first name or for the place where you live.

Try back after our next update: you'll be able to send us your name to research, or use a randomizer to pick another Latin name.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I become Laurentius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenFah)
    I become Laurentius.
    Well, it sounds better than Fahtius. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Well, it sounds better than Fahtius. :p:
    Oh wow, Lauren Fattyass. Excellent. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenFah)
    I become Laurentius.
    Female names end in -a in latin by the way...
    But have an -us by all means if you like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.