Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Universities don't translate your name on Latin certificates because it isn't your name and that means the certificate isn't valid.

Btw I have a Latin certificate.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm interested to see whether mine will be, my uni sets a lot of store behind Latin. I don't know about it actually being 'valid', when I am in the Gaeltacht, my name becomes Caitriona Ni Bhraonain and that's how I'm entered onto the records and attendance sheets and stuff. I think they can Latin-ize your name if they want. The baptism registers show loads of names entered in Latin when the name would be English/Irish..that doesn't mean the baptism wasn't valid..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Universities don't translate your name on Latin certificates because it isn't your name and that means the certificate isn't valid.
    Well, the example I provided was genuine. Plus I imagine several Gaelic speakers, for example, translate their mundane names into Gaelic and sign in another language. I can see no lawful grounds for it invalidating a grant either: it certainly is not a material flaw in the grant, nor does it change the intent to have the person as a graduate in good standing of the university.

Equally I doubt that if, say, St Andrews were to conduct its business as the "University of St Andrews" it would be any less valid than business conducted under its proper name of "Universitas Sancti Andreae apud Scotos". Whilst the Universities (Scotland) Act 1858 gives universities the right to sue and be sued under their modern English names, it does not change them. Interestingly enough, I note that the university has mysteriously changed English names some time between the 1858 Act and the 20th century ones: becoming "St Andrews" instead of "St Andrew's".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well, the example I provided was genuine. Plus I imagine several Gaelic speakers, for example, translate their mundane names into Gaelic and sign in another language. I can see no lawful grounds for it invalidating a grant either: it certainly is not a material flaw in the grant, nor does it change the intent to have the person as a graduate in good standing of the university.
    I'm sure it was but it was also quite a few decades ago as well. Things have changed and people are far more unremitting on matters of detail as far as identity are concerned nowadays. For example for the Gaelic name to be a valid legal moniker it would have to be registered as an alias (I have several friends who have such aliases printed in their passports, for example).

Equally I doubt that if, say, St Andrews were to conduct its business as the "University of St Andrews" it would be any less valid than business conducted under its proper name of "Universitas Sancti Andreae apud Scotos". Whilst the Universities (Scotland) Act 1858 gives universities the right to sue and be sued under their modern English names, it does not change them. Interestingly enough, I note that the university has mysteriously changed English names some time between the 1858 Act and the 20th century ones: becoming "St Andrews" instead of "St Andrew's".
    What has this to do with a person's name? Unless I missed something I wasn't originally christened with a Latin name. Also, as far as I am aware the Universities (Scotland) Act 1858 doesn't apply to my name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    I'm sure it was but it was also quite a few decades ago as well. Things have changed and people are far more unremitting on matters of detail as far as identity are concerned nowadays. For example for the Gaelic name to be a valid legal moniker it would have to be registered as an alias (I have several friends who have such aliases printed in their passports, for example).
    You do not have to 'register' aliases, just as you do not have to register your name or any changes thereof. A name is valid in law insofar as you are using it and have no fraudulent intent.

What has this to do with a person's name? Unless I missed something I wasn't originally christened with a Latin name. Also, as far as I am aware the Universities (Scotland) Act 1858 doesn't apply to my name.
    A university has legal personality, but the central point was that inaccurately stating a name on a document does not affect its validity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.