Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This may sound really silly, but i wanna get my thoughts out in the open and i could really do with some advice from people who have been in similar situations or just understand really. Basically, i have been with my wonderful man for around 6 weeks, and i cannot describe how perfect we are for each other, he is my dream come true. We had an accident on the night of the 24th, where the condom split. Through that weekend i had to work and he tried to go out and get me the morning after pill, but couldn't as they had to ask me questions apparently. Anyway, i finally got it from the family planning clinic monday morning, and the nurses were very supportive, and said there was a 58% chance of the pill working, although it's unlikely as it was more than half way through my cycle. Now judging i had my last period on the 3rd, that would be correct if my cycle was 28 days, but it can vary and yet it's been 5 weeks or so and still no period. Because of that i'm worried i ovulated later and therefore at a much higher risk.

Me and my boyfriend have been talking about my options if i ever become pregnant, it's almost like i want to prepare myself. He said he would support me whatever i decided, he has a full time job, a car and a house at 21, is very good at his job and has a pretty stable career, only just managing but has the potential to get pay rises or a better paid job. So he said he would be perfectly fine, almost happy to raise a child with me, and the thought of spending the rest of my life with him and our child just fills me with bliss.

But i am a student with a house contract and just having started my second year at uni at 19. I'm doing a subject i like (sort of), and i have very high ambitions (although not too sure what they are, just want to be big and make a change to the world) and dreams. I feel a child may just shatter everything, but then again it might also be the best thing i ever do, and i'm so comforted to know my man is by my side, even though we've not been together long. I can imagine all my friends and family supporting me, but thinking i'm being stupid to even think about giving everything up and raising a child with a man i've not even been with 2 months, but i can honestly see myself spending the rest of my life with him.

Another thing is, i have a rare blood disorder which means i would have to be closely montored if i ever got pregnant, as i have a higher risk of blood clots, which i have already suffered once before along with a pulmonary embolism. It seems so silly to me to be even considering it at all, but i just don't know if i could ever go through with an abortion.

Now you're probably all thinking 'well you don't even know you're pregnant yet!', but it helps me to just think about it in case it does happen, and what your views are about being a mum at uni, and whether anyone has ever given everything up and resumed an education once the child has grown up? Just the thought of it actually even makes me a little excited. I dunno, maybe if i don't turn out to be pregnant i might even be a little disappointed!

Sorry about the long post, and i really don't need people criticising this post or picking at me for getting all deep about something that hasn't even been confirmed. I am going back to the clinic in a week to get another test, which will no doubt give me the result i need. I did take one on friday, 5 weeks after my last period, and it was negative, but the nurses said it was too early anyway.

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This may sound really silly, but i wanna get my thoughts out in the open and i could really do with some advice from people who have been in similar situations or just understand really. Basically, i have been with my wonderful man for around 6 weeks, and i cannot describe how perfect we are for each other, he is my dream come true. We had an accident on the night of the 24th, where the condom split. Through that weekend i had to work and he tried to go out and get me the morning after pill, but couldn't as they had to ask me questions apparently. Anyway, i finally got it from the family planning clinic monday morning, and the nurses were very supportive, and said there was a 58% chance of the pill working, although it's unlikely as it was more than half way through my cycle. Now judging i had my last period on the 3rd, that would be correct if my cycle was 28 days, but it can vary and yet it's been 5 weeks or so and still no period. Because of that i'm worried i ovulated later and therefore at a much higher risk.

Me and my boyfriend have been talking about my options if i ever become pregnant, it's almost like i want to prepare myself. He said he would support me whatever i decided, he has a full time job, a car and a house at 21, is very good at his job and has a pretty stable career, only just managing but has the potential to get pay rises or a better paid job. So he said he would be perfectly fine, almost happy to raise a child with me, and the thought of spending the rest of my life with him and our child just fills me with bliss.

But i am a student with a house contract and just having started my second year at uni at 19. I'm doing a subject i like (sort of), and i have very high ambitions (although not too sure what they are, just want to be big and make a change to the world) and dreams. I feel a child may just shatter everything, but then again it might also be the best thing i ever do, and i'm so comforted to know my man is by my side, even though we've not been together long. I can imagine all my friends and family supporting me, but thinking i'm being stupid to even think about giving everything up and raising a child with a man i've not even been with 2 months, but i can honestly see myself spending the rest of my life with him.

Another thing is, i have a rare blood disorder which means i would have to be closely montored if i ever got pregnant, as i have a higher risk of blood clots, which i have already suffered once before along with a pulmonary embolism. It seems so silly to me to be even considering it at all, but i just don't know if i could ever go through with an abortion.

Now you're probably all thinking 'well you don't even know you're pregnant yet!', but it helps me to just think about it in case it does happen, and what your views are about being a mum at uni, and whether anyone has ever given everything up and resumed an education once the child has grown up? Just the thought of it actually even makes me a little excited. I dunno, maybe if i don't turn out to be pregnant i might even be a little disappointed!

Sorry about the long post, and i really don't need people criticising this post or picking at me for getting all deep about something that hasn't even been confirmed. I am going back to the clinic in a week to get another test, which will no doubt give me the result i need. I did take one on friday, 5 weeks after my last period, and it was negative, but the nurses said it was too early anyway.

thanks.

The best thing you can do is go on the pregnancy and parenting society on here, and ask them..they're mothers and fathers who are studying at uni aswell, and to be frank have more life experience than the rest of idiots on here when it comes to this issue

(Original post by anna_spanner89)
    The best thing you can do is go on the pregnancy and parenting society on here, and ask them..they're mothers and fathers who are studying at uni aswell, and to be frank have more life experience than the rest of idiots on here when it comes to this issue
    Ok i'll re-post it there. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    As above, although as the morning after pill messes with your periods up, I would just get a pregnancy test or go to the doctors to just put your mind at rest.

As for the pregnancy at uni, I don't know anyone whos done it, but I do know that uni's and student finance all cater for people with babies etc, and it's also possible for you to put your course on hold for a year or two just to get sorted out. As soon as you know, just talk to the help and advice available though your uni as they'll be able to tell you all of your options.

Good luck though!

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i have been with my wonderful man for around 6 weeks, and i cannot describe how perfect we are for each other, he is my dream come true
    rflmao - my wonderful man!

Oh who cares about career, it won't work out for you, you sound a joke! :yep:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.