Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am currently on the first year of my course in economics and history and have considered becoming either a secondary school history teacher or a lecturer in history.

I have a few questions:

Do you have to be rich in order to complete all of the extra training for lecturing (M.A. degree, PhD etc)?

Will I be able to do an M.A. or history PGCE considering the fact that I'm doing combined honours?

ReputationRep:
    Friend of mine is currently doing a history MA, which she's managing to fund with a job. She doesn't think she'll be able to do the same for PhD just yet though. She's expecting to have to save for a few years after finishing her MA for it.

ReputationRep:
    or you could get funding

and yes to the second question

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be rich to complete an M.A. or a Ph.D. Most postgraduates are always anxious about supporting themselves. And yes, there is funding

Yes.

ReputationRep:
    You can of course do a PG with combined, not a problem.

As for being rich, nope. If you want to self fund then I am sure it helps, but if you are good and you get a scholarship then no worries. I know very few people self funding a PhD. In fact I know very few rich people doing PhDs, as these people pretty much want to go and make money as soon as possible and on the whole a PhD will not help you achieve this goal and will eat up three + years of potential earnings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flexiblefish)
    You can of course do a PG with combined, not a problem.

As for being rich, nope. If you want to self fund then I am sure it helps, but if you are good and you get a scholarship then no worries. I know very few people self funding a PhD. In fact I know very few rich people doing PhDs, as these people pretty much want to go and make money as soon as possible and on the whole a PhD will not help you achieve this goal and will eat up three + years of potential earnings.
    Which leads me to the question. What is the point of doing a PhD, because there wouldn't be money in the sector you'd wish to go into?

I may do a PhD in Economics, although it really is too early yet to decide! But, is there really no money in gaining a Phd, from a relatively respectable university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daruishraz)
    Which leads me to the question. What is the point of doing a PhD, because there wouldn't be money in the sector you'd wish to go into?

Because you should not be doing a degree for financial advancement, but for personal development and knowledge. Not everything is about money.

I may do a PhD in Economics, although it really is too early yet to decide! But, is there really no money in gaining a Phd, from a relatively respectable university?
    well you can make money if you develop something that is commercially useful e.g. an engineering PhD might develop a new engine componant which they can patent.

As for relatively respectable university. with a comment like that I doubt you will do a PhD because you have a massive misconception of what a PhD is about. It is all about the research, the project, the supervisor, the department and not about the University. Having a PhD from the university of Hexham in certain areas will be possibly more useful and respected than an oxbridge PhD.

My PhD from imperial will not help me in anyway, shape or form in getting me in to a highly paid graduate recruitment scheme compared to some normal BA graduate from the university of Chippenham based simply on the bit of paper achieved. However, the reference from my supervisor and my papers will open (hopefully) many an academic doors in other good research groups be they at Southend Poli, or Harvard.

And yes it is too early to say, see how you get on with your undergrad. See if you have the interest and ability to go on to a masters and then a PhD. If money is your goal then 8-9 years of study will not be for you.

ReputationRep:
    my mum wasn't rich, and I remember helping her with it when I was a bit younger, but she got funding by a company that could make use of her findings. She did something about piglets and milk at Langford/Bristol Uni, so I think in the sciences it might be easier to find people willing to sponsor you to use your findings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flexiblefish)
    Because you should not be doing a degree for financial advancement, but for personal development and knowledge. Not everything is about money.

well you can make money if you develop something that is commercially useful e.g. an engineering PhD might develop a new engine componant which they can patent.

As for relatively respectable university. with a comment like that I doubt you will do a PhD because you have a massive misconception of what a PhD is about. It is all about the research, the project, the supervisor, the department and not about the University. Having a PhD from the university of Hexham in certain areas will be possibly more useful and respected than an oxbridge PhD.

My PhD from imperial will not help me in anyway, shape or form in getting me in to a highly paid graduate recruitment scheme compared to some normal BA graduate from the university of Chippenham based simply on the bit of paper achieved. However, the reference from my supervisor and my papers will open (hopefully) many an academic doors in other good research groups be they at Southend Poli, or Harvard.

And yes it is too early to say, see how you get on with your undergrad. See if you have the interest and ability to go on to a masters and then a PhD. If money is your goal then 8-9 years of study will not be for you.
    Thanks for your advice. Hmm, well money is my goal to be honest. However, I wouldn't mind to go as far as a Masters Degree.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice. Hmm, well money is my goal to be honest. However, I wouldn't mind to go as far as a Masters Degree.
    Unless you really need the degree then just get a job. You probably wouldn't make it on a PhD.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.