Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student overdraft before you get to University? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a place at Nottingham Trent confirmed, letter with me and everything, and am currently taking a gap year..

Just wondering if it is possible to go to the bank (preferably Halifax with their 3000 pound overdraft) and get the interest free overdraft BEFORE I actually begin the course??

I've heard various people say as long as you have the letter you can but am actually unable to find any decisive information, would love to know if anyone has any actual knowledge on the situation??

Thanks in advance, CAM

ReputationRep:
    I set up my account before I started, all I needed was my confirmation letter are it was all done. I think they'll set up your account, overdraft and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cameronmcgarry)
    I have a place at Nottingham Trent confirmed, letter with me and everything, and am currently taking a gap year..

Just wondering if it is possible to go to the bank (preferably Halifax with their 3000 pound overdraft) and get the interest free overdraft BEFORE I actually begin the course??

I've heard various people say as long as you have the letter you can but am actually unable to find any decisive information, would love to know if anyone has any actual knowledge on the situation??

Thanks in advance, CAM
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I would say to you that if you want any of the freebies/incentives/bribes(whatever you want to call it) then I would wait until June Next year. Most of the first year incentives have gone until next year.
    If you are working you may be able to get an overdraft from the bank. If the overdraft is all you want from the bank, ask them and explain that you have a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    You can probably get an overdraft, but it won't be the student one and it won't be interest free.
    Also, I'm fairly sure Halifax's student overdraft doesn't START at 3,000. That's most likely the maximum you can get, after having had the account for a longer period.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.