The Student Room Group

Should I take Advanced Higher Biology if want to study medicine

I am going into S6 and want to study medicine next year. I know unis don’t ask for any subjects specifically although advanced higher is recommended. I’m definitely taking advanced higher chemistry and maths but swithering between physics and biology as I enjoy both but probably physics slightly more however feel like biology would be more useful. Do you think id be at a disadvantage if I didn’t take bio in terms of how hard I’d find the work in med school?
Hi,
Honestly no medical school in Scotland is specifying what subjects they want, in fact the UoA says that students are able to choose programs of their choice or something vaguely similar to that. What's more important is that you get your grades not what subjects you do (they're significant to an extent)!!

Sadly due to a lot of timetable clashes (my school is not the best :/ )I'm doing AH bio & history (since chemistry clashed) along with H moddies.
honestly after looking at the course specification, I think AH bio will probably be more applicable? I mean one of the units from AH chem looks very physics based and from what I can see only 1 tiny section in the course looks applicable to medicine. It also looks extremely challenging!

Honestly pick the subjects you will enjoy the most & can score well and can handle for an entire year. I have already started my timetable and it can get intense but I'm enjoying my courses.

I would probably say that AH bio is probably the most relevant for medicine but if you feel that you would enjoy physics more then do that! Tho physics & maths are very similar & require alot of the same skills, do you want to do both? Most people that take both physics & maths tend to want to do stuff like engineering etc.

I would say AH bio will help you out for med school but at the end of the day you'll be sitting for an entire year in these subjects so pick what you'll enjoy! ATB
Original post by Nara_shortcake31
Hi,
Honestly no medical school in Scotland is specifying what subjects they want, in fact the UoA says that students are able to choose programs of their choice or something vaguely similar to that. What's more important is that you get your grades not what subjects you do (they're significant to an extent)!!

Sadly due to a lot of timetable clashes (my school is not the best :/ )I'm doing AH bio & history (since chemistry clashed) along with H moddies.
honestly after looking at the course specification, I think AH bio will probably be more applicable? I mean one of the units from AH chem looks very physics based and from what I can see only 1 tiny section in the course looks applicable to medicine. It also looks extremely challenging!

Honestly pick the subjects you will enjoy the most & can score well and can handle for an entire year. I have already started my timetable and it can get intense but I'm enjoying my courses.

I would probably say that AH bio is probably the most relevant for medicine but if you feel that you would enjoy physics more then do that! Tho physics & maths are very similar & require alot of the same skills, do you want to do both? Most people that take both physics & maths tend to want to do stuff like engineering etc.

I would say AH bio will help you out for med school but at the end of the day you'll be sitting for an entire year in these subjects so pick what you'll enjoy! ATB

this just isn’t true, chem is the basis of every medicine application. it’s just recommended to have other science subjects being bio phys and maths to compliment chem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending