Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am currently doing my A2s, I am doing Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry and AS biology, predicted A's for each one.

The problem is, I really, really don't know what to apply for, its been in my mind for ages, and each time I reach somewhat of a decision, something happens which makes me completely want to change my mind. And I am so afraid the deadline will pass without me having completed a good form, or worse, applying for a subject which I realize 5 months into the course, will not give me a career I am seeking.

Applying for mathematics, the question on my mind repeats, Am I good enough to do maths? Do i really want to do it? I don't want to work in an office, I don't want to become a teacher, I don't want to become someone in finance.

Engineering? Am I ready to take a course which only leaves a couple of job prospects for the future? I dont want to work in a factory..

Physics? What possible job could I get by doing this degree?

Medicine? Deadline passed , not even worth thinking about now.

Im just so worried, that if I pick a course, and decide to reapply in 2009 for 2010 entry to the same Uni for a different course, it would mean an automatic rejection?

Thanks, ANY help or advice would be appreciated, im really at breaking point now.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should apply for a subject that you enjoy studying. As the years pass by, if you study an interesting subject, you will find possibilities and opportunities. In general, I think your alternatives are very reasonable and not some bogus things (although even bogus subjects can get you far if you work hard and enjoy what you're doing). If you're doubting your maths potential, then maybe you should have a second thought about it. With physics there are many career opportunities such as industrial research and development. Although you do need to have an interest in maths as well in order to study physics, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with which you enjoy the most. Apparently if you do a maths degree it equips you for any job other than the vocational ones like medicine. Take a look at this
    www.maths.warwick.ac.uk/pydc/white/skills.html

ReputationRep:
    Applying for mathematics, the question on my mind repeats, Am I good enough to do maths? Do i really want to do it? I don't want to work in an office, I don't want to become a teacher, I don't want to become someone in finance.
    You don't have to be a genius to do maths at uni, and you don't have to join a career that is intimately related to your course.

Engineering? Am I ready to take a course which only leaves a couple of job prospects for the future? I dont want to work in a factory..
    You could try for civil engineering (big buildings, bridges, etc), electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, bio-mechanical engineering . . . engineering doesn't = factory work.

Im just so worried, that if I pick a course, and decide to reapply in 2009 for 2010 entry to the same Uni for a different course, it would mean an automatic rejection?
    I did that, and got more offers than I did the first time around. Don't worry so much!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know what to do, then don't go. You've no obligation to. You can go to uni at any point in your life. You should do a degree for a reason (either that you love studying the subject or want a career in a specific field), not just because it's the done thing. There's no harm in getting on with life for a while, and maybe you'll find what you want to do later on. Also, most jobs just require having "a degree" or "a science degree" - with a degree in engineering you have more options than just "engineer".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slender Loris)
    If you don't know what to do, then don't go. You've no obligation to. You can go to uni at any point in your life. You should do a degree for a reason (either that you love studying the subject or want a career in a specific field), not just because it's the done thing. There's no harm in getting on with life for a while, and maybe you'll find what you want to do later on. Also, most jobs just require having "a degree" or "a science degree" - with a degree in engineering you have more options than just "engineer".
    Excellent advice.

ReputationRep:
    I do sympathise as I had huge difficulty in choosing a subject at uni: I did Maths, Physics, English & Philosophy at AS (yes I had difficulty picking those too).

So many university courses are unfamiliar that this makes the problem even harder.

A couple of thoughts. If you can find a course that you will enjoy and do well in, you do not have to worry about what career it will lead to yet. 60% of graduate jobs advertised do not specify a degree - they care more about the indication of ability and transferable skills rather than the specific content of your degree. For example, I'm looking at law at the moment. About half of people who get training contracts did not do law for their first degree: they include chemists, english students, mathematicians, historians.

Secondly, you might want to take the pressure off yourself and instead plan a productive gap year. You don't have to go next year. If your gcses are as strong as your AS results, you could even apply to Cambridge for natural sciences, which will keep your options open even longer.

good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.