Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My mum does this. Personally, i dont. But, my mum works hard, earns her money and it is completely up to her what she spends it on and how she spends her time. Im not going to look down my nose at her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Exactly. Also familes who holiday in Disneyland so that the kids can shake Mickey Mouse's hand/eat McD's. Unimaginative fools.
    Disney is fun though

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather sit under a brolly and read, than lie in the sun and bake.

I'd also rather live to old age than dye of skin cancer in my 30's. Silly fools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL L

I don't know about you but I could for a lot of summer - I go with my friends every friday unless is is raining all year round, have a bbq etc - not always sunbathing but it is the beach

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Also familes who holiday in Disneyland so that the kids can shake Mickey Mouse's hand/eat McD's. Unimaginative fools.
    I agree. You know what's worse? Parents taking their infants on holiday. How's a one-year-old going to get anything out of a holiday?

(Original post by Juwel)
    I agree. You know what's worse? Parents taking their infants on holiday. How's a one-year-old going to get anything out of a holiday?
    It could get a tan I guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)

my parents took me on holiday when I was 6 months to Califonia but don't think that counts as it was so the rest of my family could meet me

ReputationRep:
    Disney is fun though
    Not my idea of fun. I enjoyed my annual trip to Eire playing with my cousins, working on building sites, mixing with the locals, exploring incredible and unspoilt greenery - as opposed to paying big bucks for Disneyland, and for what!

ReputationRep:
    Not my idea of fun. I enjoyed my annual trip to Eire playing with my cousins, working on building sites, mixing with the locals, exploring incredible and unspoilt greenery - as opposed to paying big bucks for Disneyland, and for what!
    Rides shows and entertainment!

What kind of kid works on a building site?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    to.. bathe in the sun?

ReputationRep:
    Rides shows and entertainment!

What kind of kid works on a building site?
    A kid who was brought up the right way, imo.

ReputationRep:
    I never understood the attraction either, my holidays are usually based around a theme park (Port Aventura, Europa Park, Orlando) as I'm utterly addicted to rollercoasters. Luckily my family waited till I grew up and stopped holidaying with them to go on 'beach' holidays.

ReputationRep:
    A kid who was brought up the right way, imo.
    lol! I didnt think kids wer even allowed to work until they're 14 or something let alone on a building site! isnt it dangerous what do they even do? play in the sand lol

ReputationRep:
    lol! I didnt think kids wer even allowed to work until they're 14 or something let alone on a building site! isnt it dangerous what do they even do? play in the sand lol
    At 14 I would expect my child to have earnt some sort of wage. None of this pocket money business, especially during summer.

Few things irritate me as much as a spoilt child.

ReputationRep:
    Because they like it?

Not everyone has the same idea of what is enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    At 14 I would expect my child to have earnt some sort of wage. None of this pocket money business, especially during summer.

Few things irritate me as much as a spoilt child.
    i find you really strange. i'd never send my kid to work on a building site. when they get to like 16 or 18 and arent a kid then they can go out and find construction jobs if thats what they want. what has pocket money got to do with anything?

ReputationRep:
    i find you really strange. i'd never send my kid to work on a building site. when they get to like 16 or 18 and arent a kid then they can go out and find construction jobs if thats what they want. what has pocket money got to do with anything?
    Irish schools have 3/4 months summers. It is really common for 14 year olds + to work throughout the holidays. When I worked on site for a few weeks it was basically wheeling crap up and down i.e. within the abilities of a fit and strong 14 year old. Call me old fashioned but I believe it is great that teens are given responsibilites from a young age; a bit of hands on work for a 14 year olds hasn't done me or anyone else any harm. Contrast to your average Joe Bloggs playing Playstation during the summer etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I can see the appeal.

All throughout my childhood, my foreign holidays consisted of getting up very early in the morning, very slowly wandering round historical sights, peering at antiquities and admiring cathedrals until it was time for dinner. It was ******* stressful.

About a year ago, I had a week away with my then girlfriend. We got up late, sat on beaches, drank a lot, read books, basically did nothing except enjoy the sun and potter around. There's really something to be said for it. I can't say I ever actually 'sunbathed' as such.

ReputationRep:
    Irish schools have 3/4 months summers. It is really common for 14 year olds + to work throughout the holidays. When I worked on site for a few weeks it was basically wheeling crap up and down i.e. within the abilities of a fit and strong 14 year old. Call me old fashioned but I believe it is great that teens are given responsibilites from a young age; a bit of hands on work for a 14 year olds hasn't done me or anyone else any harm. Contrast to your average Joe Bloggs playing Playstation during the summer etc.
    yes teens I agree... but i thought we were talking about kids? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    yes teens I agree... but i thought we were talking about kids? :lolwut:
    Oh that's child labour

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.