Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im really confused now.

okay

well. when i was a kid (8 years old) i loved disneyland and would have much prefered to go there on holiday than work on a building site. :lolwut: but if thats what you prefer then okay!

nowadays i like going to places to see the wildlife

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't know, I can see the appeal.

All throughout my childhood, my foreign holidays consisted of getting up very early in the morning, very slowly wandering round historical sights, peering at antiquities and admiring cathedrals until it was time for dinner. It was ******* stressful.

About a year ago, I had a week away with my then girlfriend. We got up late, sat on beaches, drank a lot, read books, basically did nothing except enjoy the sun and potter around. There's really something to be said for it. I can't say I ever actually 'sunbathed' as such.
    "L i b" in commoner shocker

ReputationRep:
    Losers who like to be cooked by the sun. Absolute waste of time and money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    im really confused now.

okay

well. when i was a kid (8 years old) i loved disneyland and would have much prefered to go there on holiday than work on a building site. :lolwut: but if thats what you prefer then okay!

nowadays i like going to places to see the wildlife
    I would never ever take my kids to Disneyland; personally I don't see the appeal. When I was 8 I was playing with cousins, walking across countryside, camping, trying to play Hurling and all for the cost of a train and ferry to Ireland. When I was 14 I started working in Ireland during the summer, and playing hard at night! Contrast that to your average Joe Bloggs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    I don't get these people. Go all the way to another country just to lie there and cook? As for calling it relaxing and getting away, there are plenty of good ways to do that right here.

I just think that if I was going to another country, I'd want to be able to tell stories about them, associate places on the atlas with stories more interesting than of sunbathing. I'd like to explore the history and culture and all that rubbish, or ski, or something.
    Yeah :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    I agree. You know what's worse? Parents taking their infants on holiday. How's a one-year-old going to get anything out of a holiday?
    It wouldn't; but the parents might avoid paying for a babysitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    "L i b" in commoner shocker
    I secretly long for a life of idle drunkenness; when I told my careers advisor he thought I was joking.

ReputationRep:
    A world war
    Was announced
    Days ago
    But they didn't know
    The lazy sunbathers
    The lazy sunbathers

The sun burns through
    To the planet's core
    And it isn't enough
    They want more

Nothing
    Appears
    To be
    Between the ears of
    The lazy sunbathers
    Too jaded
    To question stagnation
    The sun burns through
    To the planet's core
    And it isn't enough
    They want more

Religions fall
    Children shelled
    "...Children shelled ? That's all
    Very well, but would you
    Please keep the noise
    Down low ?
    Because you're waking
    The lazy sunbathers ..."
    Oh, the lazy sunbathers

ReputationRep:
    I think a balance is good..

Cook.. and see the places..

It is not like you can sunbathe in this country..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    I would never ever take my kids to Disneyland; personally I don't see the appeal. When I was 8 I was playing with cousins, walking across countryside, camping, trying to play Hurling and all for the cost of a train and ferry to Ireland. When I was 14 I started working in Ireland during the summer, and playing hard at night! Contrast that to your average Joe Bloggs.
    Well that's basically the life at home so when I went on holiday I'd prefer something different! I just like hot weather and swimming and sunbathing, I find it relaxing and different to our weather obviously! And as for being fools, how so? Because I like doing something other people see as a waste of time? Ok then. I haven't been in 5 years but if I went again it'd probably be the same kind of thing. With a bit of sightseeing and other activities thrown in obviously!

ReputationRep:
    For some people it's their only chance to relax. And maybe they feel they can't do that properly without being a few thousand miles away from work or whatever. Personally I like a bit of sunbathing/lazing on hols but do like to explore and soak up a bit of the culture etc too. Besides, I totally burn if I lie in the sun too long!! Never a good look.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god for my brown skin.

ReputationRep:
    Hah, people are mistaking being tanned and using bad fake tan. A natural tan will not turn you orange.

The fact is, some people genuinely like the sensation of sitting in warm sunshine. If I sunbathe on holiday it's partly due to this, it's partly because I can then do a swim-until-I'm-cold/sunbathe-until-I'm-hot alternating routine, partly because I can read my book and relax and partly because there is never that much sun in the UK.

I don't get people who JUST sunbathe for the entire holiday though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't, I might lay in the sun but with no intentions, just to relax. My sister does so she can get a tan, obviously.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.