Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Help..

So I'm looking at cars and insurance.. I'm looking for something half-decent, I don't want or expect really anything flashy for a first car, but I don't want it to look like a piece of ****, I'm sure you know what I mean!

I also don't want it to be so old that if I crash I get squashed; After seeing that episode of Top Gear, it **** me up a bit and made me alot more concious on buying certain cars from certain years! :o:..

It's also such a pain in the ass to find any decent car insurance quotes, I've tried a few comparision sites along with Endsleigh, Tesco Car Insurance and Quinn Direct directly and the cheapest I got was with Quinn Direct, third party fire & theft only with a 1996 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Merit 3dr Hatchback at £1,893.49 annually..

I think the only requirements I have for a car are basically:
    • Won't squash me and get me killed if I crash.
    • Doesn't look like crap (again, I don't expect anything really flashy! Just something like Fiestas, Corsas, etc!)
    • Cheap to insure!
    • One last odd requirement is that I want to be able to stick my own stereo tuner in..

Anyone have any ideas that are cheap to insure? Or any cheap ways to get insured (that doesn't involve fronting :yep:) or tips?

Cheers. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Cheaper way to get insured without fronting - add mother/father on as a occasional driver will most likley decrease cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_cool)
    Cheaper way to get insured without fronting - add mother/father on as a occasional driver will most likley decrease cost.
    I did, didn't decrease it that much.. Maybe £10/20..

My parents are both 39, almost 40 too and have both had their licenses for 20+ years and had zero thefts/accidents - ever..

ReputationRep:
    I think Renault Meganes are likely the safest car in the 'poor, young'uns and can't afford better' market sector.

One of them 'uns http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk..._mileage=60000

4 Stars in this Euro n-cap lark.

ReputationRep:
    Budget for car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Budget for car?
    About £1,500ish tops I'd say, give or take.. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparxy)
    About £1,500ish tops I'd say, give or take.. :o:
    Skoda Fabia - Much much much much much better cars than a Corsa and much cheaper insurance. Have a play around with the different models - will get much cheaper insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Skoda Fabia - Much much much much much better cars than a Corsa and much cheaper insurance. Have a play around with the different models - will get much cheaper insurance.
    Actually the Fabia is a good call. It's a VW Polo in drag, has low powered engines, typically driven by old people or people who don't care about their image due to it being a skoda (bargain point on insurance.) Handles really well, loads of space for people and stuff, reasonable build quality and an adaptor shouldn't be too hard to find to get your own HUD at some point. You'll be looking at Y-02 reg cars and some come in awful colours but should be easily had for 1.5-2k. Haggle them down a chunk and enjoy not driving a corsa

ReputationRep:
    try Bell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths Genius)
    try Bell?
    Yeah, I've tried them and even stripped down there 'Bell' policy to the minimum, tried various cars and the lowest I got was in the £2,100 area (including the Skoda).

So seems a Fabia isn't much good to me either.. :o:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position to you- cheapest insurance I can find is coming in at £1900 ish. Seems older cars with TPFT cover actually work out more expensive to insure than a newer one insured fully comp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euan...)
    I'm in a similar position to you- cheapest insurance I can find is coming in at £1900 ish. Seems older cars with TPFT cover actually work out more expensive to insure than a newer one insured fully comp.
    Yeah but with fully comprehensive there will be a 650 quid excess to take into account... with that factored in TPFT is probably cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    Yeah but with fully comprehensive there will be a 650 quid excess to take into account... with that factored in TPFT is probably cheaper.
    Excess was typically £250, so doesnt really work out cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Do a pass plus driving course, few hours driving at night and on motorway and cud save u coupla hundred quid on you first insurance.

ReputationRep:
    You can get a new shape Fiat Punto for under £1,500. Try Gumtree.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember that the first year is ALWAYS going to hit you hard, but after a year it drops dramatically as long as you don't claim in that year...

It won't be 1800 EVERY year until you're 25 or anything. It will drop considerably year after year given that you don't have any accidents that are your fault...

ReputationRep:
    my first year: £1500
    second:£800
    Third:£500

ReputationRep:
    Try actually ringing companies up rather than using the online quote things as they tend to give i found cheaper prices over the phone.

Also try LV and Footman James Insurance companies. I had LV in my first year driving and had fully comp for under £700, Footman James in my second year is now 3PFT £420. Both with my dad as on as well, breakdown and European cover. Thats for a 1.2L 1974 Beetle with agreed value of £2k.

And on the safety issue can i just say that having the safest car possible (eg 4-5 NCAP rating, ABS etc...) when you first drive is not possibly the best thing as it makes you complacent with having all these systems to keep you safe rather than actually driving safely. For example my car is essentially a 50 year old design and the safety on it is poor. Brakes on it are shocking compared to modern cars (even with discs fitted at the front), no headrests, no crumple zones (well as the engines at the back if you hit something head on your legs will become the crumple zone with the fuel tank sitting on your lap). If i had a serious crash i would be truly FUBAR
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKf4dsn9Zs0
    How ever it has made me really appreciate how much the systems in a modern car can help you and it has made me drive safer than i would do (eg taking longer to break, not sticking so close to people, not going as fast) if i had drove a modern car. Of course the simple way to avoid all this is don't crash, but this is a bit harder to keep in real life...
    I don't get in though and immediately see my self climbing into a death trap (far from it actually) because fundamentally you can drive any car and still crash badly, it all comes down to the driver and how (competently) you drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack1989)
    Do a pass plus driving course, few hours driving at night and on motorway and cud save u coupla hundred quid on you first insurance.
    I always say I've completed Pass Plus course on all the quotes anyway. :p:

(Original post by Mush)
    Just remember that the first year is ALWAYS going to hit you hard, but after a year it drops dramatically as long as you don't claim in that year...

It won't be 1800 EVERY year until you're 25 or anything. It will drop considerably year after year given that you don't have any accidents that are your fault...
    Yeah I know, but I was still just trying to see if there was any other decent cars that I could get for cheaper, but if the £1700/1800 area really is as low as it's gonna get, then I'll just have to go with it I guess.. :o:

(Original post by initiation)
    Try actually ringing companies up rather than using the online quote things as they tend to give i found cheaper prices over the phone.

Also try LV and Footman James Insurance companies. I had LV in my first year driving and had fully comp for under £700, Footman James in my second year is now 3PFT £420. Both with my dad as on as well, breakdown and European cover. Thats for a 1.2L 1974 Beetle with agreed value of £2k.
    I'll give them a try, cheers.

EDIT
    After trying LV, I get the £2,000 area on most cars I try.. As for Footman James, look at this page here.. Says there unable to give a quote for anyone under 25? :

ReputationRep:
    Saying "oh try these insurers they were cheap for me" is never going to work because insurance is based on personal circumstances and differs for each person. There are 3 cars in our household and it was cheaper for all of us to go with separate companies than trying to negotiate a multi car policy for the family, I'm with Elephant, my mum with LV and my dad with directline.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.