Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-E-N-O-V-A)
    Only a moron would use a £1800 insurance quote. Since when did pass plus save you 20%?

Idiot.
    I got 20% back on my first year insurance. You sound really harsh.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you don't bother using the comparison sites.... only use them to get a list of companies then try them all individually it might take longer but I found I got much better quotes and the comparison sites couldn't always get quotes from all the companies.

Also if RAC works out the cheapest you can use Quidco for £70 cashback (remember to clear your cookies after using comparison sites)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    You can get a new shape Fiat Punto for under £1,500. Try Gumtree.
    Talk some crap. Unless you mean the MK2 and not Grande.

I pay £1500 with Quinn in my Own Name Fully Comp with One Years Named Driving Experience (Not No-claims) and all my Mod's covered plus I can drive any car as well.

I got quotes of £1000 with Hughes Insurance but they couldn't cover my mod's so it was a no-no.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting quotes for like £3 - £5k - I can't seem to figure what I'm doing wrong!

Just got a quote for 6k on a 1.0 Corsa with Quinn. Even though I live in a nice area and the car will be parked on a driveway.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me how you know how much a car is worth for when it asks you? Does it mean how much it origionally was worth, how much it was when you bought it or what it's worth now?
    None of my parents are in at the moment... =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    I'm getting quotes for like £3 - £5k - I can't seem to figure what I'm doing wrong!

Just got a quote for 6k on a 1.0 Corsa with Quinn. Even though I live in a nice area and the car will be parked on a driveway.
    Wow, what mileage are you looking at?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn)
    Can someone tell me how you know how much a car is worth for when it asks you? Does it mean how much it origionally was worth, how much it was when you bought it or what it's worth now?
    None of my parents are in at the moment... =/
    What its worth now, what you bought it for if its pretty recent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    What its worth now, what you bought it for if its pretty recent.
    Awright... I dunno what I'm doing wrong as it's only coming up £598.29 a year which seems really low compared to other people my age...? I'm 17 and only have a provisional license, it should be higher right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn)
    Awright... I dunno what I'm doing wrong as it's only coming up £598.29 a year which seems really low compared to other people my age...? I'm 17 and only have a provisional license, it should be higher right?
    If your looking for provisional insurance, I used www.youngmarmalade.co.uk ,they insure you on any car and is a separate policy than your parents so you are building up your own NC while your still learning. Works out relatively cheap for a learner too as you renew on a monthly basis, working out at £60 a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Wow, what mileage are you looking at?!
    Only 3,000 miles.

I'm really confused. I know people who live in bad areas and drive 1.2 - 1.6l cars who are insured for £1200 - £1600.

I live in a good area and am getting £3 - £5k insurance quotes ona 1.0l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    Only 3,000 miles.

I'm really confused. I know people who live in bad areas and drive 1.2 - 1.6l cars who are insured for £1200 - £1600.

I live in a good area and am getting £3 - £5k insurance quotes ona 1.0l
    I drive a 2.5L Landie, and even at 17 it was under a grand, for 5 drivers.

Try something random and non classic young person, like, say, 1.9 TDI (105) VW Passat, and see what that brings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    That's called 'fronting' and is illegal. If the insurance company even suspect you of doing it they'll void all claims you make.
    How is that illegal?? Why would they let you have +1,+2,+3 driver(s) if it was illegal????

ReputationRep:
    ^ Because when your a named driver on a policy, strictly speaking, the main driver is meant to be driving the car the majority of the times. If your a named driver and only you drive the car and the insurance company find out, you could loose your policy or even be prosecuted for insurance fraud.

Im going to be a named driver on a policy, but its only because I wont be driving the car 24/7

ReputationRep:
    But they ask for how many miles you estimate you'll be doing. But i know if you surpass that limit then it affects your claims. Still in my situation i can only have a car for 6months anyway as uni, u cant bring it

ReputationRep:
    This Young Marmalade company seem pretty interesting.. How does it work? What exactly are they?

Is it just buying a new or slightly used car in combination with an insurance policy for a year or something? I kind of get the jist, anyone wanna cut it down for me? :p:

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparxy)
    This Young Marmalade company seem pretty interesting.. How does it work? What exactly are they?

Is it just buying a new or slightly used car in combination with an insurance policy for a year or something? I kind of get the jist, anyone wanna cut it down for me? :p:

Cheers.
    Yeah i'm pretty interested aswell, on their site is says 'from £127 a month'
    i wonder which car that applies to.

(Original post by J-E-N-O-V-A)
    Only a moron would use a £1800 insurance quote. Since when did pass plus save you 20%?

Idiot.
    Ring up Tesco and you'll find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    Yeah i'm pretty interested aswell, on their site is says 'from £127 a month'
    i wonder which car that applies to.
    Why didn't you just click Get a quote? I did. :p:

You have to pay a 10% deposit, which is about £700-£900 depending on which car you pick, then pay the monthly fees after.. You can pick out of the typical first cars, just click it mate.. Doesn't do anything but give you a quote.. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparxy)
    Why didn't you just click Get a quote? I did. :p:

You have to pay a 10% deposit, which is about £700-£900 depending on which car you pick, then pay the monthly fees after.. You can pick out of the typical first cars, just click it mate.. Doesn't do anything but give you a quote.. :yep:

tried a few..most come to over 200 quid a month, cant be bothered trying each one, i'll give them a call 2moz...and ask them which ones the cheapest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    tried a few..most come to over 200 quid a month, cant be bothered trying each one, i'll give them a call 2moz...and ask them which ones the cheapest
    Fiat Grande Punto, 1.2 Active 3dr 2007-07 Plate

£144.94 per month.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.