Chemical engineering with abb

Watch this thread
tony00005
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im predicted abb with an epq in which i will probably get an a/b. I want to study chemical engineering but im really not sure where to apply. i really like the look of scotland as there seems to be a few suitable options there maybe but im open to anything, thoughts and help?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tony00005)
im predicted abb with an epq in which i will probably get an a/b. I want to study chemical engineering but im really not sure where to apply. i really like the look of scotland as there seems to be a few suitable options there maybe but im open to anything, thoughts and help?
I wont comment on Scottish universities but the better in England require AAA. It might be worth applying for 2 AAA universities as you are just below. Also look for a couple asking for ABB or BBB. You could try Swansea for Engineering. Worth a try on a newish campus and tends to be quite flexible with grades.
PhantomMercy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The university of Greenwich has a really lovely ChemEng department and want 112 UCAS points (BBC) so they may be worth looking at for an insurance choice. The University of Southampton is also a really welcoming and nice department but they want AAA. I mention these two specifically as they are both TINY departments (around 8 per cohort) as they are relatively new. This means you get invaluable one-on-one support that bigger unis just don't have. Neither are IChemE accredited but are both working towards this accreditation. Southampton also has great links to industry and the department are always giving their students access to scholarship opportunities and the like!

I currently hold offers for ChemEng (UCL firm and Southamtpon insurance) so feel free to ask any questions (I am currently in the process of changing course to mathematics but I've attended all of the offer holder days etc and done interviews for ChemEng so I can still give advice).
SSana
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PhantomMercy)
The university of Greenwich has a really lovely ChemEng department and want 112 UCAS points (BBC) so they may be worth looking at for an insurance choice. The University of Southampton is also a really welcoming and nice department but they want AAA. I mention these two specifically as they are both TINY departments (around 8 per cohort) as they are relatively new. This means you get invaluable one-on-one support that bigger unis just don't have. Neither are IChemE accredited but are both working towards this accreditation. Southampton also has great links to industry and the department are always giving their students access to scholarship opportunities and the like!

I currently hold offers for ChemEng (UCL firm and Southamtpon insurance) so feel free to ask any questions (I am currently in the process of changing course to mathematics but I've attended all of the offer holder days etc and done interviews for ChemEng so I can still give advice).
Hi you mentioned that neither universities are ICHEME accredited, does this mean that you won’t have a chemical engineer title ?
HWU StudentRep 1
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
There are lots of great Chemical engineering degrees across the UK My advice would be look into what kind of uni you would want to be in! Whether it be campus-based or city-based for example, the area, life around the university, student satisfaction rates etc. What you think is important in a uni for you is worth looking into, since the degree is a big part of your life for so long

In terms of Scotland, Heriot-Watt is a campus based uni just outside the city of Edinburgh. You're welcome to look into our accredited Chemical engineering degree, its requirements, and ratings here https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/study/underg...ering-beng.htm

My best advice would be look at different courses and their content (some can differ slightly), the opportunities different unis have whilst studying like placements and international study etc. .

I hope that helps If you have any questions about HW, the course, or campus, please don't hesitate to ask!

-Claire
PhantomMercy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SSana)
Hi you mentioned that neither universities are ICHEME accredited, does this mean that you won’t have a chemical engineer title ?
You will be a chemical engineer just you won’t immediately be an chartered engineer (you’ll have to do a masters or a conversion course) however both are working towards accreditation as they are only in their first year or so so have not been able to be accredited yet. This is from the IChemE website:

“If you’re interested in studying a course that isn’t accredited it may be because the course is new (we’re unable to accredit a course until evidence of the learning outcomes for the first cohort of graduating students are assessed), or because the university hasn’t invited us to assess the course for accreditation.

Studying a course that isn’t accredited doesn’t necessarily mean that the course isn’t credible. Nor does it mean that your child will not be able to become a Chartered Chemical Engineer later in their career – it may just take a bit longer and they might need to submit additional evidence of their technical knowledge.”
Last edited by PhantomMercy; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Chemical Engineering isnt a competitive subject - so this means that its worth applying for a couple of choices wanting grades above your predicted grades. More advice here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections

Aston - BBB
Queens Belfast - BBB
Aberdeen - BBB
Swansea - ABB-BBB
Lancaster - ABB
Brunel - ABB
Loughborough - ABB
Southampton - AAA
Leeds - AAA
tony00005
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Chemical Engineering isnt a competitive subject - so this means that its worth applying for a couple of choices wanting grades above your predicted grades. More advice here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections

Aston - BBB
Queens Belfast - BBB
Aberdeen - BBB
Swansea - ABB-BBB
Lancaster - ABB
Brunel - ABB
Loughborough - ABB
Southampton - AAA
Leeds - AAA
Most of these are the Beng and most people obviously want to do Meng but ty for a good list
DarylO
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Most of these are the Beng and most people obviously want to do Meng but ty for a good list
They are BEng but with most universities, you can switch to the MEng course in your second or third year as long as your grades are satisfactory. Just email the university to verify this. If you don't want the BEng-to-MEng route, and you're set on going to a higher-tier university, you can just apply for MEng with a foundation year. I think a couple have such programmes.

Also, a lot of universities in England consider catchment areas. If you're from a region that's considered to be behind academically, your entry requirements will be lower. Depending on the university, I think some will still consider your application.
DarylO
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For Scotland, there are so many amazing top-tier universities that will take your grades for MEng and BEng. Their facilities and departments are just as great as the ones in England. Plus, tuition fee is so much less. Universities like Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Heriott-Watt are great.

Personally, I'm applying to at least two Scottish universities.
tony00005
Rep:
Yeah scotland really does seem like a great choice
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I know it's not in Scotland, but Aston University offers Chemical Engineering BEng as a course. The entry requirements are:

BBB to include Chemistry and Maths at minimum Grade B.

BBC to include Chemistry and Maths at minimum Grade B (with an EPQ or Core Maths at Grade B)

BCC to include Chemistry and Maths at minimum Grade B (contextual offers and for DTUS applicants)

The Chemical Engineering BEng course at Aston is ranked Top 10 in the UK for Engineering: Chemical (Guardian University Guide League Tables, 2022) and is Accredited by the Institution of Chemical Engineers which puts you on the path to acquiring Chartered Chemical Engineer status. You can tailor your final year to your career goals by choosing from a series of optional modules. Some companies Aston graduates have gone on to join include Procter and Gamble, Stone and Webster, BP, ExxonMobil, Kodak, PriceWaterhouseCooper, Unilever, AMEC, British Energy, Kappa, Mowlem, BT, Corus and Pfizer.

Apart from Scotland do you have any specific requirements in a university? any qualities, in particular, you're looking for? You can compare university choices on websites like this one www.whatuni.com and https://universitycompare.com/.

Hope this has helped

*Ethel
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Bath asks for the same grades for MEng and BEng - and many other Unis do too, check on their websites.

Bath Chem Eng courses - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...course-entries
The Placemnt program at Bath is one of the best in the UK - the 5-year MEng with Placement is a good option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads