The Student Room Group

Aspartamine - functional groups

According to an OCR question I just did, Aspartamine contains a carboxylic acid group and an amine group (as well as benzene, ester and amide) - I wrote amino acid but this isn't credited in the mark scheme. Why is aspartamine not considered an amino acid?
(edited 1 year ago)
If they're asking for what functional groups are present, then 'amino acid' wouldn't score because it's not a functional group. In addition, all amino acids have to have carboxyl group and an amino group connected to the same carbon. Aspartame is a methyl ester of a dipeptide formed when two amino acids (phenylalanine and aspartic acid) react together. So, you could make two amino acids out of aspartame by hydrolysis, but it's not an amino acid itself.
Reply 2
Hi,
If it explicitly asks for the functional groups in aspartame, then you need to state that it contains a carb.acid group and an amine group, because “amino acid” is not a functional group. It may be an amino acid, but it isn’t a functional group.

Original post by cata03
According to an OCR question I just did, Aspartamine contains a carboxylic acid group and an amine group (as well as benzene, ester and amide) - I wrote amino acid but this isn't credited in the mark scheme. Why is aspartamine not considered an amino acid?
Reply 3
Thank you both very much!!

Quick Reply

Latest