physics electric potential question...

Watch this thread
Abraham_Otaku
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'll file the attachment below..
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
the answer to this is B, I understand that it should decrease, as the positive plate is at a higher potential, and closer to negative plate the potential decreases so its either B or D... but why B? why does it have to be linear? is there some equation that implies that it should be? like V=Ed?
Attached files
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abraham_Otaku)
the answer to this is B, I understand that it should decrease, as the positive plate is at a higher potential, and closer to negative plate the potential decreases so its either B or D... but why B? why does it have to be linear? is there some equation that implies that it should be? like V=Ed?
...because in the question it says the field is uniform.
This means the electric field lines are parallel between the plates and the electric field (the value of E) doesn't change.
And yes, in a uniform field such as this E = V/d (This is the standard formula for the E field between 2 parallel plates.)
E is potential gradient and the gradient is constant because E is constant.
Hence a straight line graph of V against d.
It's a negative gradient here because you are going from + to -, as you rightly say, and V gets less as you move from + to -.
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
(Original post by Stonebridge)
...because in the question it says the field is uniform.
This means the electric field lines are parallel between the plates and the electric field (the value of E) doesn't change.
And yes, in a uniform field such as this E = V/d (This is the standard formula for the E field between 2 parallel plates.)
E is potential gradient and the gradient is constant because E is constant.
Hence a straight line graph of V against d.
It's a negative gradient here because you are going from + to -, as you rightly say, and V gets less as you move from + to -.
knew it had to do something with the fact that electric field is constant.. but in that case, doesn't that imply electric field strength is negative(as gradient would be -ve)?.. or is that something to do with direction of the electric field lines?..
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abraham_Otaku)
knew it had to do something with the fact that electric field is constant.. but in that case, doesn't that imply electric field strength is negative(as gradient would be -ve)?.. or is that something to do with direction of the electric field lines?..
Electric field strength is a vector and points from the + to the - plate: the direction that a positive charge experiences a force.
So yes, strictly speaking, it is defined as the negative potential gradient, because it points in the direction of decreasing electric potential.
Last edited by Stonebridge; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
32%
Take a gap year (6)
24%
Resit my exams (6)
24%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12%
I don't know yet (1)
4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4%

Watched Threads