The Student Room Group

How does laundry work at University?

Hey guys, can anyone explain how doing your laundry works at uni please. Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Usually your halls of residence will have a laundry room with laundrette style machines. You'll need to put your laundry, detergent etc in them, put the money in, then set it to run. Usually they're quite simple to operate and have instructions on the wall or on the machine. Then leave it to run and come back and get your things when its done. I'd suggest setting a timer for when it's due to finish so you can collect your things promptly - it's extremely annoying to find all but one machine in use, and the one that isn't running has someone's stuff in it. Not infrequently said items may end up getting dumped on the floor!
Your Mum won’t do it, neither will the Uni.

Most Halls have a cheap rate laundry, normally based on a card system. So you pay via contactless. Some might be coin op.
Some laundries are smart enough to text you when your load is close to finishing, some not
As said, you must be there when it finishes if you don’t want to find your stuff on the floor.
If it's Circuit Laundry, then it doesn't work.
I got pretty lucky with the circuit laundry in my halls in my foundation year and it worked pretty well. I never had any trouble finding an empty machine (although i did do mine in the evening on student union night :lol: ).

They'll be pretty big washers and dryers but you'll have to bring your own detergent /washing powder etc. Also bring to uni a big bag similar to those IKEA bags as they're useful for transporting your clothes to and from the laundry room :smile:
Original post by KrazyKriss
Hey guys, can anyone explain how doing your laundry works at uni please. Thanks in advance!

Depends on the facilities. Most uni accommodations will have their own system of functioning the laundry system. For example, my accommodation laundry runs on Circuit Laundry. So, I would need to download an app called Circuit Laundry, register, top up the money on the app and scan the bar code to the machine I'm using. I select the appropriate settings on the washing machine and then I click okay. The app tells me how long it takes before I need to collect my clothes, but it's never accurate. I figure out timings early on and remind myself the next time I do the washing.
Below are some times I found along the way:

Always make sure to collect your laundry within 10 minutes of the laundry finishing because it's rude to hold up other people who are wanting to use the machines too.

Find out when's best to do your laundry avoid the busy periods

Figure out if the washing machine takes the detergent/pods you want to use

If you become good friends with someone in your accommodation, you can save money and share the laundry between you guys

Veronica
Original post by domonict

Most Halls have a cheap rate laundry, normally based on a card system. So you pay via contactless. Some might be coin op.
Some laundries are smart enough to text you when your load is close to finishing, some not
As said, you must be there when it finishes if you don’t want to find your stuff on the floor.

lol u seem like a massive ****
how old are you anyway
Original post by artful_lounger
Usually your halls of residence will have a laundry room with laundrette style machines. You'll need to put your laundry, detergent etc in them, put the money in, then set it to run. Usually they're quite simple to operate and have instructions on the wall or on the machine. Then leave it to run and come back and get your things when its done. I'd suggest setting a timer for when it's due to finish so you can collect your things promptly - it's extremely annoying to find all but one machine in use, and the one that isn't running has someone's stuff in it. Not infrequently said items may end up getting dumped on the floor!

Thanks for replying. Can you use any type of detergent ie. Powder, liquid, pod?
Original post by domonict

Thanks for replying. No way people chuck other people's stuff on the floor 😮?! OMG seriously?
Original post by wiseowlz72

Thanks for replying. Could you elaborate please?
Original post by wiseowlz72

Lmaooooo It gave me trust issues.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chronoscope
I got pretty lucky with the circuit laundry in my halls in my foundation year and it worked pretty well. I never had any trouble finding an empty machine (although i did do mine in the evening on student union night :lol: ).

They'll be pretty big washers and dryers but you'll have to bring your own detergent /washing powder etc. Also bring to uni a big bag similar to those IKEA bags as they're useful for transporting your clothes to and from the laundry room :smile:

Thanks for replying. I appreciate the detail, what type of detergent: pod, liquid, powder?
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Depends on the facilities. Most uni accommodations will have their own system of functioning the laundry system. For example, my accommodation laundry runs on Circuit Laundry. So, I would need to download an app called Circuit Laundry, register, top up the money on the app and scan the bar code to the machine I'm using. I select the appropriate settings on the washing machine and then I click okay. The app tells me how long it takes before I need to collect my clothes, but it's never accurate. I figure out timings early on and remind myself the next time I do the washing.
Below are some times I found along the way:

Always make sure to collect your laundry within 10 minutes of the laundry finishing because it's rude to hold up other people who are wanting to use the machines too.

Find out when's best to do your laundry avoid the busy periods

Figure out if the washing machine takes the detergent/pods you want to use

If you become good friends with someone in your accommodation, you can save money and share the laundry between you guys

Veronica

Thanks for replying. This has been so helpful Veronica! How much does washing cost, and do you use the dryers or do you have an airer in your room?
Original post by Serene Dreams
Lmaooooo It gave me trust issues.

Oh? What's the tea on circuit laundry 😂😂😂

Whatever you prefer really :smile: me and my flatmates used a mix of all of those.
However, if you get a big box or bottle of powder or liquid its cheaper, but a bit heavy to drag down to the laundry room, so if you have any of those smaller bottles at home - keep them and pour from the big containers into the smaller ones, and take them to uni with you :yep:

Also another thing if you use liquid, the laundry detergents don't sell the plastic dosing balls anymore (well some do but they're really hard to find cos of plasic reduction), but you can get a free dosing ball from e.g. Surf's website and i found that really helpful :smile: :yep:
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for replying. This has been so helpful Veronica! How much does washing cost, and do you use the dryers or do you have an airer in your room?

Depends on the wash. Probably also depends on which university and where, to be honest, as prices vary.

For me, an eco wash is £2.80 whereas a superwash is £3.30 - both at 30 degrees. Drying is £1.80.

Sometimes I decide to forgo the dryer and dry in the bathroom. Usually, after a steamy shower, I will hang my clothes in there to dry. The steam from the shower helps to iron out wrinkles too.

Veronica
(edited 1 year ago)

Usually any I think, at the time I just got the pods because they were easiest to carry down to the laundry room with my laundry :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
Usually any I think, at the time I just got the pods because they were easiest to carry down to the laundry room with my laundry :smile:

Thanks so much! 1 more question, can you choose your temperature or is it fixed?
Original post by Chronoscope
Whatever you prefer really :smile: me and my flatmates used a mix of all of those.
However, if you get a big box or bottle of powder or liquid its cheaper, but a bit heavy to drag down to the laundry room, so if you have any of those smaller bottles at home - keep them and pour from the big containers into the smaller ones, and take them to uni with you :yep:

Also another thing if you use liquid, the laundry detergents don't sell the plastic dosing balls anymore (well some do but they're really hard to find cos of plasic reduction), but you can get a free dosing ball from e.g. Surf's website and i found that really helpful :smile: :yep:

Great! Thanks so much for that little gem at the end
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Depends on the wash. Probably also depends on which university and where, to be honest, as prices vary.

For me, an eco wash is £2.80 whereas a superwash is £3.30 - both at 30 degrees. Drying is £1.80.

Sometimes I decide to forgo the dryer and dry in the bathroom. Usually, after a steamy shower, I will hang my clothes in there to dry. The steam from the shower helps to iron out wrinkles too.

Veronica

Awesome, useful advice at the end. Thanks! Just 1 more thing, what's the highest temperature you can use to wash?

Quick Reply

Latest