The Student Room Group

Normal for teachers to offer rides?

//
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by scargarner01
For some background info:
I’m a student in my first year of sixth form (17 years old). I’ve got a school trip coming up and one of my teachers asked if i was going. I said yes, but told him i was slightly annoyed because my parents were away so i’d have to wake up at 5:45am to be at school on time. He offered me a ride and asked for my address which i declined because i don’t have a good relationship with him (and tbh the idea of getting a lift from any teacher makes me uncomfortable) and said i’d be fine getting the bus. When i told my friends about it they all seemed shocked and thought it was weird that he’d ask, although he did say ‘we could pick you up’ so i assumed he’d be with his wife or kids as well. I thought he was just being nice but everyone else seems to think it’s creepy? Even though he’d probably have his family w him and has a valid reason to make the offer?

i don't think its normal for teacher to offer a ride especially if you don't have a good relationship with them and you never know what he's intentions could be. Also the teacher could get in legal trouble without asking your parent permisson as you are still a minor.
Original post by scargarner01
For some background info:
I’m a student in my first year of sixth form (17 years old). I’ve got a school trip coming up and one of my teachers asked if i was going. I said yes, but told him i was slightly annoyed because my parents were away so i’d have to wake up at 5:45am to be at school on time. He offered me a ride and asked for my address which i declined because i don’t have a good relationship with him (and tbh the idea of getting a lift from any teacher makes me uncomfortable) and said i’d be fine getting the bus. When i told my friends about it they all seemed shocked and thought it was weird that he’d ask, although he did say ‘we could pick you up’ so i assumed he’d be with his wife or kids as well. I thought he was just being nice but everyone else seems to think it’s creepy? Even though he’d probably have his family w him and has a valid reason to make the offer?

Hi there.

This wouldn't just be allowed to happen. Your teacher would need some form of permission from your parents and a senior member of staff i.e. headteacher so this could be arranged. You're teacher may be genuinely concerned about your safety, as you're travelling alone and in the early hours, but would have to go through such safeguarding procedures before it'd be allowed to happen.

Hope this makes sense. :smile:
Best wishes and enjoy the trip!
(edited 1 year ago)
no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending