The Student Room Group

GCSE Papers - how are they made?

What programmes do exam boards use to create their exam papers?
that's a good question but i'm pretty sure they get a person to think of the questions and type them up, then they print it in bulk
Of all the questions that could be asked about exams, why this one?
Original post by Mintkoala

it's a good question though. like not that many people would have thought about that and it might actually be interesting on how exams were actually made and processed before given out to people. like that paper almost decides your future and everything. idk it sounds weird but it's just from my perspective
Reply 5
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
that's a good question but i'm pretty sure they get a person to think of the questions and type them up, then they print it in bulk

Thank you!

I was also trying to find out what software exam boards use to actually write up and create the exams. I was thinking Word but when I convert a PDF file of an exam through Acrobat to an editable docx. file, it’s a little funky. Not sure if that means anything at all, but if you find anything on this, please let me know! :smile:
Reply 6

Yeah, it’s a little bit of a weird question I suppose.

At my school, we use past paper questions on our formative & summative exams and the teachers *try* to replicate the design of a paper and it tends to look a bit off to the point where it looks horrid and it quite frankly annoys me. I was just wondering whether anyone knew the exact software/programme used to create exams so that I could pass that on.
Original post by Emboiled

At my school, we use past paper questions on our formative & summative exams and the teachers *try* to replicate the design of a paper and it tends to look a bit off to the point where it looks horrid and it quite frankly annoys me. I was just wondering whether anyone knew the exact software/programme used to create exams so that I could pass that on.

That’s what they did at my school as well. Unfortunately, teachers simply do not have the time to make the papers they put together look nice, and spend the time on formatting. They barely have the time to produce what they do now.
Edexcel upload their Maths papers in WORD as well as PDF for teachers ...

Reply 9
That’s what they did at my school as well. Unfortunately, teachers simply do not have the time to make the papers they put together look nice, and spend the time on formatting. They barely have the time to produce what they do now.

Thank you for the answer!
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
Edexcel upload their Maths papers in WORD as well as PDF for teachers ...

I didn’t know they uploaded their maths papers in the docx. format. The only thing I found was A-Level Edexcel Maths past papers in docx. format on Maths Genie, but even then it was still not formatting the questions properly. This is the closest I’ve gotten to a good looking paper though so thank you for this! :smile:
I didn’t know they uploaded their maths papers in the docx. format. The only thing I found was A-Level Edexcel Maths past papers in docx. format on Maths Genie, but even then it was still not formatting the questions properly. This is the closest I’ve gotten to a good looking paper though so thank you for this! :smile:

Teachers can access them via the Emporium.
Edexcel papers are made on Adobe InDesign, you can see it on the metadata
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
Teachers can access them via the Emporium.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by _gcx
Edexcel papers are made on Adobe InDesign, you can see it on the metadata

Brilliant. Thank you so much! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest