The Student Room Group

Argument with driving instructor

My driving instructor gets frustrated and annoyed easily, I have been taking lessons since February and since the beginning he gets annoyed when i don't do things right. Today i struggled to change lanes in time when turning right on the roundabout and also my observation wasn't good. But he got annoyed and kept asking what was i thinking and what my thought process was but in an annoyed way, this happened at about 3 roundabouts, normally I just agree but this time I said i am trying my best and he said no your not which annoyed me so i said can you teach me instead of shouting and he said he was not shouting and not to accuse him of something he didn't do and I said but I am trying and he said try harder, he also told me not to give him attitude when he is teaching me. Also my driving lessons are normally in the morning when there are less car on the road on a weekday, today it was at 12:30.

I honestly feel like its him getting annoyed that makes me make more mistakes because he calmed down after and wasn't getting annoyed anymore but even when someone was near a zebra crossing i didn't know what to do because if i stop then i thought he would get annoyed and say why did you stop they are far but if i didn't stop then he might get annoyed and say why didn't you stop. He is really good at teaching parking but that is it, but even then he was getting annoying at one point when i was taking time to position my car correctly.

was i wrong to get annoyed at him?
your in the right, you should feel calm while driving! get a new instructor!
I don't think so. My driving instructor was quite nice but I would feel the same as you when I'd get criticisms. I can't imagine dealing with it on the scale that you are though. You've vocalised to your instructor that they are shouting unnecessary but the fact that they deny it after? Honestly I'd look for a new instructor.
Look for a new instructor! Google patient driving instructors in your area, I don't know if you're a woman but as a woman I found my best most patient driving instructor that I felt the most calm with was a woman.
I had a similar situation with my intensive instructor, because I had lessons a couple years ago he skipped moving off and clutch control and then he was getting hysterical when I kept botching junctions. It was only after we went over clutch control and moving off (8 hours into lessons) that I understood and surprise surprise I did junctions better. I wish I could change instructors but I've already paid him for all my hours and booked my test in his car, so definitely change if you can.
You can't learn if you aren't calm and confident, and it's your instructors job to teach you - which involves identifying issues and giving you tools, not just repeating the same information but louder and angrier.
Original post by Anonymous
Look for a new instructor! Google patient driving instructors in your area, I don't know if you're a woman but as a woman I found my best most patient driving instructor that I felt the most calm with was a woman.
I had a similar situation with my intensive instructor, because I had lessons a couple years ago he skipped moving off and clutch control and then he was getting hysterical when I kept botching junctions. It was only after we went over clutch control and moving off (8 hours into lessons) that I understood and surprise surprise I did junctions better. I wish I could change instructors but I've already paid him for all my hours and booked my test in his car, so definitely change if you can.
You can't learn if you aren't calm and confident, and it's your instructors job to teach you - which involves identifying issues and giving you tools, not just repeating the same information but louder and angrier.

Thanks for replying but I have already booked my lessons with him and also my driving test as well
I don't think so. My driving instructor was quite nice but I would feel the same as you when I'd get criticisms. I can't imagine dealing with it on the scale that you are though. You've vocalised to your instructor that they are shouting unnecessary but the fact that they deny it after? Honestly I'd look for a new instructor.

Thank you so much, but I have already booked my lessons and driving test, too late to change now
your in the right, you should feel calm while driving! get a new instructor!

It's too late now to change but thank you so much for replying, I was feeling really guilty and I'm not someone that ever really says anything back to teachers
My driving instructor gets frustrated and annoyed easily, I have been taking lessons since February and since the beginning he gets annoyed when i don't do things right. Today i struggled to change lanes in time when turning right on the roundabout and also my observation wasn't good. But he got annoyed and kept asking what was i thinking and what my thought process was but in an annoyed way, this happened at about 3 roundabouts, normally I just agree but this time I said i am trying my best and he said no your not which annoyed me so i said can you teach me instead of shouting and he said he was not shouting and not to accuse him of something he didn't do and I said but I am trying and he said try harder, he also told me not to give him attitude when he is teaching me. Also my driving lessons are normally in the morning when there are less car on the road on a weekday, today it was at 12:30.

I honestly feel like its him getting annoyed that makes me make more mistakes because he calmed down after and wasn't getting annoyed anymore but even when someone was near a zebra crossing i didn't know what to do because if i stop then i thought he would get annoyed and say why did you stop they are far but if i didn't stop then he might get annoyed and say why didn't you stop. He is really good at teaching parking but that is it, but even then he was getting annoying at one point when i was taking time to position my car correctly.

was i wrong to get annoyed at him?

I would change instructor immediately; a good one won't get angry.
Original post by Muttley79
I would change instructor immediately; a good one won't get angry.

Thank you so much, but I can't now its too late
Thank you so much, but I can't now its too late

I don't believe it's too late. You're not wrong to get annoyed at you.

I can relate similarly. My first instructor reacted whenever I made mistakes and this heightened my anxiety and ability to drive. However, when I took a break and found a new driving instructor on my terms, my driving improved drastically. I ended up enjoying learning how to drive and I never felt safer behind the wheel.

A driving instructor is really personal and finding the right one can be a difficult process. I really feel that if your driving instructor is failing to understand your way of learning, it's time to move on to someone else. It's scary and exciting learning how to drive but driving confidently behind the wheel consistently takes time and reassurance from a driving instructor who understands and nurtures how you learn. When this happens, you start having faith in yourself and believe in yourself. Don't be afraid to take time away from driving and find someone else.

It's a huge relief knowing you can learn to drive, honestly!!

Veronica
you might be more comfortable with a lady instructor. they tend to be more emotionally aware.
Thank you so much, but I have already booked my lessons and driving test, too late to change now

Do you think you could get refunded for your booked lessons (I'm under the assumption you paid already)? If so, you could still find a new instructor. Only reason I'd still push for a change is because should you fail your driving test (hopefully you don't!) I can't begin to imagine your instructors response and behaviour on following lessons. However, I can understand why you would stick with your instructor because if you get a new one you're may have to adjust to a different car and it's just not worth the hassle. I'd like to give you the advice my old psychology teacher gave us moving forward, which was essentially that if someone does something to hurt you, don't think that it's because they are evil but rather because they are stupid. Go into your future lessons with your head held high and give it your best shot until your test comes. Hopefully all goes well and you can finally see the back of your instructor. If not, then I'd say following your driving test would probably be the best time to make a switch. Wishing you all the best with your driving!
If you can i would call up the main office if the company he works for and speak to them. So they can refund you or transfer it for when you take lessons with someone else through them. You can always cancel the test.

Honestly it's not worth putting up with an instructor like that. I've had an having an incredibly rough ride with instructors etc but got will eventually find someone and I'm this time I've learnt if you are not doing too get along with them that's fine don't waste time and find someone else.
Original post by unknownforever
If you can i would call up the main office if the company he works for and speak to them. So they can refund you or transfer it for when you take lessons with someone else through them. You can always cancel the test.

Honestly it's not worth putting up with an instructor like that. I've had an having an incredibly rough ride with instructors etc but got will eventually find someone and I'm this time I've learnt if you are not doing too get along with them that's fine don't waste time and find someone else.

Thank you very much for your reply, the problem I said I would like to have my test in August but because there is no availability in my area the instructor is in a group chat with other instructors who are also examiners, who let the instructors know first when someone cancels their date, and got me a test date but for £200. Some dodgy business which I am basically somehow become part of, so he basically got me my driving test in time, so is it bad if change instructors?
My instructor is a lot like that, one even began laughing and told me "figure it out yourself". Yeah... It's a **** behavior. You are in a situation where you can't really do anything about it. You can attempt to get a new instructor, but is this a solution?

I just don't take any of this personally. I laugh it off in my head.
What is my thought process? I don't know. I say. And ignore the rest. I agree with the rest he says. Nod. Try not to argue.

Although don't become passive completely. If you don't know something, ask.
I convinced myself that they actually don't mean any of this. But they are just making sure you'll remember it. They make things seem more serious than they actually are. Which is .... okay.. to an extent.

Good luck
Learning in a stressful environment in which you are shamed is only going to cause more mistakes and apprehension.

Definitely find an instructor worthy of your money.
Thank you very much for your reply, the problem I said I would like to have my test in August but because there is no availability in my area the instructor is in a group chat with other instructors who are also examiners, who let the instructors know first when someone cancels their date, and got me a test date but for £200. Some dodgy business which I am basically somehow become part of, so he basically got me my driving test in time, so is it bad if change instructors?

Could you call up the main office and speak to them about the situation see what they suggest? I think you have to weigh up what you'd prefer the test as planned or get another instructee and just do it at later date?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending