The Student Room Group

Biggest tube strike in 40 years during a level + gsce exams 21-26 june:

This poll is closed

How many of you will have to wake up earlier to sit exams due to strike?

will have to wake up at 2 am31%
will have to wake up at 3 am 0%
will have to wake up at 4 am8%
will have to wake up at 5 am31%
will have to wake up at 6 am23%
will have to wake up at 7 am0%
will have to wake up at 8 am8%
Total votes: 13
There is going to be a huge tube strike during the 21st to 26th June, in fact one of the biggest since the 1970s.

I honestly do not blame those workers who are striking especially since inflation is at 11% but the education ministers on the other hand need to give us a break or sort out this chaos. I know some people in my school who live miles away in the outskirts and it takes them an hour to come to school by train - I feel like this gives others an unfair disadvantage if they live particularly close to the school and those who have spent hours trying to commute for their A LEVEL/GSCE exams.

I personally feel like they should lower the grade boundaries for that particular paper, the strikes are going to be on - especially due to the overwhelming stress of not getting there on time.

What do you think about this?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the overthinker
There is going to be a huge tube strike during the 21st to 26th June, in fact one of the biggest since the 1970s.

I honestly do not blame those workers who are striking especially since inflation is at 11% but the education ministers on the other hand need to give us a break or sort out this chaos. I know some people in my school who live miles away in the outskirts and it takes them an hour to come to school by train - I feel like this gives others an unfair disadvantage if they live particularly close to the school and those who have spent hours trying to commute for their A LEVEL/GSCE exams.

I personally feel like they should lower the grade boundaries for that particular paper, the strikes are going to be on - especially due to the overwhelming stress of not getting there on time.

They chose to travel for more than the recommended journey ... they could have chosen a local school. There are alternatives to trains ... no concessions should be allowed.

TSR’s answer to everything:

“Covid! Lower the grade boundaries!”.
“Hot weather affecting my performance! Lower the grade boundaries!”
”Tube strike! Lower the grade boundaries!”.

This is why universities’ entry requirements keep going up every year, because more and more people are getting higher grades, making grades worth less than they were before. The answer is not lowering the grade boundaries. Why should the other 90% of the country get lower grade boundaries because of something that’s happening in London? (Not that those in London should get lower grade boundaries in the first place).

This is life. Stuff happens.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mintkoala
TSR’s answer to everything:

“Covid! Lower the grade boundaries!”.
“Hot weather affecting my performance! Lower the grade boundaries!”
”Tube strike! Lower the grade boundaries!”.

This is why universities’ entry requirements keep going up every year, because more and more people are getting higher grades, making grades worth less than they were before. The answer is not lowering the grade boundaries. Why should the other 90% of the country get lower grade boundaries because of something that’s happening in London? (Not that those in London should get lower grade boundaries in the first place).

This is life. Stuff happens.

There is a huge amount of students in London though? The strike is also impacting routes from all over Britain anyways London or not. Also, yes maybe lowering the grade boundaries is overdoing it but they should at least reschedule the exam so it can be more convenient.
There is a huge amount of students in London though? The strike is also impacting routes from all over Britain anyways London or not. Also, yes maybe lowering the grade boundaries is overdoing it but they should at least reschedule the exam so it can be more convenient.

Yes there is a huge amount of students in London, not as huge as the rest of the country put together, not even close. Such a small percentage over the country get a train or tube to school anyway.

Reschedule until when? Nobody knows when these tube strikes will end, not even the people organising the strikes. 3,4,5 weeks? A week before results day? A week after results day?

In life things happen. If it snows and the buses stop running, people are expected to get a taxi to work. It’s unfortunate, but what would be more unfortunate is next year’s students having even higher university offers to meet, because all the grade boundaries this year were lowered because of an irrelevant tube strike.

You can’t always get what you want.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Muttley79
They chose to travel for more than the recommended journey ... they could have chosen a local school. There are alternatives to trains ... no concessions should be allowed.

Yup, up em'.

Very few students travel to school by train.

the bus workers are going to be on strike as well though ): all throughout the country
(edited 1 year ago)
I don't see how altering grade boundaries is fair considering not all students get the train, there are different levels of service in different parts of the country etc.

I do feel for you, here there are 0 trains running (as in no trains all week at all) and there are no rail replacement buses so I dont know how those students who take the train to school will be able to get there.

In my opinion the best solution would be for the school to run a mini bus on the days of exams with students being able to not attend school on the days they don't have exams. But i realise not all schools have the funding for this.
All our school buses will be running ...
the bus workers are going to be on strike as well though ):
All our school buses will be running ...

I don't agree that concessions should be allowed, but some people have no choice but to take public transport, like myself. Bus and train staff are on strike in Wales, where schools are few and far in between, especially in the Valleys. My school also does not offer private transport. Just because your school/area isn't affected doesn't mean others won't be...
https://youtu.be/kUs-q2lfcMw

bloody tfl workers holding london to ransom. They nearly always make up the largest portion of working days lost every year from public sector strikes even though they make up a minority of striking workers
The rmt is a joke
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Indililam1
I don't agree that concessions should be allowed, but some people have no choice but to take public transport, like myself. Bus and train staff are on strike in Wales, where schools are few and far in between, especially in the Valleys. My school also does not offer private transport. Just because your school/area isn't affected doesn't mean others won't be...

So people will have to get lifts or taxis - there are always ways. I've picked students up when they've forgotten exams ...
just sleep at school
Original post by Fickfackfeck
just sleep at school

My school isn't allowing that. I really am worrying about the other students who live so far away.
(edited 1 year ago)
So people will have to get lifts or taxis - there are always ways. I've picked students up when they've forgotten exams ...

Majority of people cannot afford taxi's to drop them off everyday though especially those who are in public schools. Taxi's are expensive in London.
My school isn't allowing that. I really am worrying about the other students who live so far away.

stay in your lane kiddo

Spoiler

It takes me about an hour to go to school by bus and I've had delays because of strikes- but there's no way grade boundaries should be lessened because of this. That is just ridiculous. As people have mentioned, there are different ways to go to school- you could ask a friend's parent to drive you in if your own can't, you could leave the house earlier.... countless ways. If that is the case, every year where there have been strikes then the distinction of achieving grade 9 from a grade 1 and a*s from a U become less valuable over time, it would never work and you can't use lower grade boundaries as a solution for everything happening day to day.
(edited 1 year ago)
Majority of people cannot afford taxi's to drop them off everyday though especially those who are in public schools. Taxi's are expensive in London.

I doubt many people have exams every day - they'll have to find a way just like I do when it snows and all the buses stop.

False. Don't release a false statement so confidently. To the school I went, at least 60% arrived by the train.

Quick Reply

Latest