The Student Room Group

how do people clean their glasses??

above question. basically mine still has a bit of fingerprint marks on them even when i clean it, i dont know what to use to make sure the lens are clear

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
above question. basically mine still has a bit of fingerprint marks on them even when i clean it, i dont know what to use to make sure the lens are clear

lens cleaning alcohol wipes
Uh... soap and water? A cleaning cloth won't get them clean.
i get my dog to lick them
Original post by the bear

I lick mine. :dontknow:

:rofl:
agreed, soap and water. I just use hand wash straight on each lens, rub it in, then wash. Then if you want 4K vision get tissue, breath on your glasses and wipe. Using a cloth to wipe doesn't get it as crisp and clear as a tissue
agreed, soap and water. I just use hand wash straight on each lens, rub it in, then wash. Then if you want 4K vision get tissue, breath on your glasses and wipe. Using a cloth to wipe doesn't get it as crisp and clear as a tissue

ew I meant breathe****
Reply 8
Washing up liquid is good. An optician told me
with our feet
'shirt' :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Lens cleaning wipes are good but environmental awful. A little spray of Windolene and a lens cloth is a bit better for the environment. Soapy water and a tissue to dry works too. The real issue is that they are dirty again in no time, particularly if you take them on and off. One of the reasons why contact lenses are great
Uh... soap and water? A cleaning cloth won't get them clean.

wait frr, i thought they'd destroy the chemical in the lens or something like that
wait frr, i thought they'd destroy the chemical in the lens or something like that

No, soap and water is the best way to clean glasses. It's just a myth that it will destroy them.
Soap/dishsoap and water wont destroy the lenses but it can degrade any special coatings you have on them. When i used to use soap and water i also noticed that the water could seep in to the frame and cause a bit of corrosion.

As i have blue light coating on my glasses i am extra careful and just use lens cleaning spray. You can pick up a bottle of this fairly cheaply on amazon, I put a few squishes of this on and clean off with a cloth.
(edited 1 year ago)
soap and water.
sometimes I use a special microfiber cloth and water, but usually I use the soap and water. It doesn't destroy the coating as many think unless the soap is extra strong, that's why I use the hand soap and not the dish soap.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Zarek
Lens cleaning wipes are good but environmental awful. A little spray of Windolene and a lens cloth is a bit better for the environment. Soapy water and a tissue to dry works too. The real issue is that they are dirty again in no time, particularly if you take them on and off. One of the reasons why contact lenses are great

Contact lenses not so good for the environment either, though. Plastic bottles of lens solution, plastic lens case, the lenses themselves, and the packaging.

Soap and water with a cloth is definitely a good suggestion.

very informative answer. i shall try the above and let u know how it goes fellow sir
Reply 18
Original post by Meduse
Contact lenses not so good for the environment either, though. Plastic bottles of lens solution, plastic lens case, the lenses themselves, and the packaging.

Soap and water with a cloth is definitely a good suggestion.

Fair point on the environmental credentials of contact lenses
Original post by sizzlerb
very informative answer. i shall try the above and let u know how it goes fellow sir

if you have contact lenses it is safer to get your cat to lick them.

Quick Reply

Latest