Turn on thread page Beta

I'm far too tired to write an in depth story but basically I have a few questions;

-Am I over-reacting, am I really depressed?
    -What to say to my GP when I go to see them?

I checked the NHS Direct site out, and I seem to match the criteria, I also have a history of depression, but I just have no idea what to say to my GP.

I'm aware this is all vary vague, but I just don't know what to say

Help appreciated.

Thanks

...and looking at it now I realise the first can't be answered, but the second one is a big issue for me.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you just have to try your best to describe how you are feeling, if you can. But it's hard.

ReputationRep:
    "I think I'm depressed".

They should take it from there.

Hope you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, just be honest. Stop looking at the 'criteria' for someone who is depressed, because this can be counter-productive. Just go and say how YOU feel, not in relation to a text-book definition of what depression is, but because it's something you are going through. They'll take care of the diagnosis, that is their job.

ReputationRep:
    Well you should write down something before you go. Jot down what you've been feeling like, how long you've been feeling each one, any symptoms of depression you might have. Make sure you list the frequency of each one. Maybe write a little about how each one affects your life at the moment. You could always hand this to your GP and not speak as much if speaking makes you feel uncomfortable. It could help?

ReputationRep:
    Tell your GP you think you might be depressed - he/she will ask you some questions, and take it from there. For an idea of what to expect, read the NICE guildines on depression.

You'll probably be sent home for "watchful waiting" and asked to come back in a week or two.

i went in and said ive been feeling really low the past few weeks and i think i might be depressed then he asked me some q's like had my sleeping habbits and eating habbits changed. Its not as scary as you think going to the doctors about it though, i was shaking in the waiting room i was that scared but its not too bad

totally off the topic, but what would anyone say to this-

i see some of my friends progressing so fast at the moment, earning a decent amount of money, doing well at college, doing extremely well with their ucas statements, passing their driving tests...

..whereas I, can't find a job, are just about doing ok at college, haven't started learning to drive because I can't afford it, and generally seem to be getting nowhere. I seem to be stuck in a rut.

I don't understand why it's affecting me so much, most of these things are just general day to day issues, but oh i just don't know.

sorry for the rambling

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to make the effort to see my GP about the very same thing. I've put it off for quite a long time as I didn't really want to admit to myself that something was up, but enough is enough now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't understand why it's affecting me so much, most of these things are just general day to day issues, but oh i just don't know.
    Your depression is making these things hard for you to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    see a doctor. Try and write it down for him to read if you can't speak.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.