The Student Room Group

Not losing weight

I have tried to lose weight over the years, I’ve tried fasting, going gym and home work outs. But nothing seems to be working. Can anyone suggest anything?
You're eating more than you think. Have you tracked calories?
calories counter. you're probably still eating many more calories than you realise. try 'my fitness pal'
you might not be fasting for long enough, or undoing your work by binging after or overeating after your fast ends. You need a consistent approach, not just random attempts. Also exercise will not help you actually lose weight by burning calories unless you're doing an abnormal volume of it

really all just comes down to limiting calories and finding a diet you can stick to. probably will involve lots of whole grains, protein (esp for breakfast) and non starchy veg to make you feel full
Are you on any medications or suffering from any heath problems?
How much daily exercise do you do and what types?
What is your weight, bmi and body fat %
What type of meals, snacks and drinks do you usually consume on a regular basis?
Go to the doctor and have a blood test

I struggled with a mild eating disorder for years, used to basically starve and not lose weight and not know why
Then I found out I have PCOS which was causing weight gain
similar thing happened to a school friend who then found out she had underactive thyroid
Reply 5
Original post by gtty123
You're eating more than you think. Have you tracked calories?

I used to but realised I ate really poorly in order to get under the calorie intake so I stopped.
Reply 6
Original post by Fickfackfeck
calories counter. you're probably still eating many more calories than you realise. try 'my fitness pal'
you might not be fasting for long enough, or undoing your work by binging after or overeating after your fast ends. You need a consistent approach, not just random attempts. Also exercise will not help you actually lose weight by burning calories unless you're doing an abnormal volume of it

really all just comes down to limiting calories and finding a diet you can stick to. probably will involve lots of whole grains, protein (esp for breakfast) and non starchy veg to make you feel full

Thank you for answering
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
Are you on any medications or suffering from any heath problems?
How much daily exercise do you do and what types?
What is your weight, bmi and body fat %
What type of meals, snacks and drinks do you usually consume on a regular basis?

I am obese, not sure what my bmi is. I do cardio and sometimes weight lifting at least 2/3 times a week. I’m not on any medication. I normally drink water and I don’t tend to snack however my family would get takeaways on the weekends like pizza.
Reply 8
Original post by stickylikehoney
Go to the doctor and have a blood test

I struggled with a mild eating disorder for years, used to basically starve and not lose weight and not know why
Then I found out I have PCOS which was causing weight gain
similar thing happened to a school friend who then found out she had underactive thyroid

Would the doctors be able to recommend a way to lose weight if they find anything in my blood tests
Original post by Cloudster
I used to but realised I ate really poorly in order to get under the calorie intake so I stopped.

Don't do it all the time. Just so you get an accurate picture.
Original post by Cloudster
Would the doctors be able to recommend a way to lose weight if they find anything in my blood tests

if you find out you have a condition, obviously there won't be a miracle cure but then you will feel better knowing why you are struggling, and you will also be able to research/find out better how to manage the condition and hopefully shift the weight better
Cos of PCOS I've had a mild eating disorder since I've been about 15
I got diagnosed by 21. I have continued to struggle with my weight but it was much more comforting knowing why I wasn't loosing weight and finding out a diet suitable for PCOS
I've been losing weight cos I put on weight after covid. In about 10 months I've lost about a stone and a half :smile:
IMG_20220613_224828_460-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Quick Reply

Latest