The Student Room Group

Interview Lesson

Hi, I have an interview in the week at a special school, I have been asked to teach a 45 min lesson on which ever I choose, to a class of 10 with complex SEMH. Including ADS, MLD and ADHD attainment level yr 2-4. I am at a complete loss of where to even start or what to do! Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
(edited 1 year ago)
Try asking them for more advice. I love being around disabled folks but sometimes you have to be realistic and ask for help.
Original post by louisec94
Hi, I have an interview in the week at a special school, I have been asked to teach a 45 min lesson on which ever I choose, to a class of 10 with complex SEMH. Including ADS, MLD and ADHD attainment level yr 2-4. I am at a complete loss of where to even start or what to do! Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hello @louisec94,

If you have the freedom of choosing the subject for the lesson you deliver, I would encourage you to teach a lesson in the subject you are most passionate about - this will come across in the interview, and you should go into the lesson feeling more confident.

Having worked in an SEMH setting for 10 years myself, ensure you have plenty of differentiation, and resources to cater for the differing needs and abilities.

Worry less about getting through the lesson plan, and focus more on the pupils and their understanding - have lots a questions planned for the lesson. Keep referring back to the lesson objective - WALT (We are learning to...) & WILF (What I'm looking for) (gives the lesson purpose and a focus, and serves as a reminder for the pupils). Praise the pupils, and know the behaviour policy (not for sanction purposes but more importantly to be familiar with the reward/positive recognition system in place at the school - for that particular class). Ask yourself, what do you think pupils with these additional needs will find engaging/interesting/inspiring? Often when attempting to deliver stimulating and engaging lessons to young people - you would include a certain practical element - and young people with these type of additional needs are no different, but they do often perform better with more structure, so be mindful of this also.

Best of luck.
Tom
I think you should ask the level of of the ability of the group semi and ADHD can be if any ability but MLd is specific.you need to know what level you are teaching to and the nature of the disability.as you can teach such a group without that knowledge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending