Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was told by my lecturer to approach Taylor series from the left and from the right....

What the hell? - I failed to ask any more questions before we went away for 2 weeks. I'm supposed to meet up with him when he comes back to show him what I've found out but what he gave me is very little to go on.....

Does anyone have a clue what this leads to or is about?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell is your lecturer? I'm thinking he was just too lazy to give you some proper work.

Closest approximation -
    from the left - find out why Taylor series 'work' and why they are alternate representations of functions
    from the right - find out the (extremely numerous) applications for taylor series.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: What else were you told in the lecture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunderX)
    Who the hell is your lecturer? I'm thinking he was just too lazy to give you some proper work.

Closest approximation -
    from the left - find out why Taylor series 'work' and why they are alternate representations of functions
    from the right - find out the (extremely numerous) applications for taylor series.
    I think it's something different...

I think he's after something like, you see the Taylor series on wikipdia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

He scribbled down on the back of my log book in pencil "a a+L = x".

He didn't say much at all and that's all he's written down....

I know what the taylor series is and it's applications etc.... but I'm still puzzled, is there something I haven't learnt some where?!

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusufu)
    :rofl: What else were you told in the lecture?
    Unfortunately, it's not a lecture, it's just mini-projects-type-things....

I've been paired up with a weird person, our meetings last less than 5 minutes and he's so brief....

Gah......

ReputationRep:
    I think he wants me to approach "a" from the left and from the right...

I have NO idea why and what it's meant to lead to.... ?!!! :confused:

Such a depressing module.....

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he's talking about, for example, the function f(x)=\frac{1}{1-x}. The Taylor series are different for -1 < x < 1 and x>1, (the former series is 1+x+x^2+x^3+..., which clearly diverges when x \geq 1). so he might want you to approach the point 1 from the left and right using two different Taylor series.

Then again, I have no clue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.