Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Something all Students need to know. Take your "Young Persons" railcard [or Disabled Persons, HM Forces or Senior railcards] to your local tube station and ask them to apply the discount to your Oyster card.

Full details can be seen at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

Which include how much your Oyster will be capped at is you don't live/travel in Zones 1 & 2.

Please note though, that your Oyster card will need to have enough money on for the journey in which the 'capping' takes place [i.e. you will need to have at least £1.50 for Zone 1/2 even if you've travelled twice - the journey will only cost you 10p, but you need to have £1.50 on your Oyster or it won't let you through the gates!]

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Liam

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can't tell you how much money this little-known fact has saved me over the last year!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate. Heard of this before but forgot to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Hm....I dont understand properly !

So, if you cap it at £3.10, you can use if for the whole day where ever you want to travel ?

ReputationRep:
    Within zones 1 & 2. The maximum you will pay is £3.10. Once you have applied your Young Persons railcard to you Oyster card [ask at a ticket booth in a station] then you don't need to do anything special.

ReputationRep:
    I think I love you.

No really.

ReputationRep:
    ah...got it, thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I think I love you.

No really.
    Why thank you. :o:

Feel free to express this love if you ever see me about campus :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand how this works.

I have a student oyster card (which gives me 30% discount on 7day travelcards+).

And I travel between zones 1+2 and also use busses.

How would this work for me?

Sorry, I realise the stupidity of my question, but I'm very, very tired !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Mortell)
    Why thank you. :o:

Feel free to express this love if you ever see me about campus :p:
    Ooooooh, a QMUL-er! Exciting. Say hi if you see me (unless you're a walking lamp post thingy I'm unlikely to recognise you...)

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a Student Oyster card for this to work. You need a National Rail Young Person's Railcard. If you were to get your Young Person's railcard applied to Oyster card then the maximum you would pay each day is £3.10 which would work out weekly as £21.70 if you travelled Off-peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    I don't really understand how this works.

I have a student oyster card (which gives me 30% discount on 7day travelcards+).

And I travel between zones 1+2 and also use busses.

How would this work for me?

Sorry, I realise the stupidity of my question, but I'm very, very tired !
    Use this discount instead of your student discount.
    This applies a £3.10 cap for the day whereas your student discount only helps you if you're buying a weekly travelcard.

ReputationRep:
    This is good, but you have to travel more than just to and from x in order for it to save you anything, so it isn't good for me because I seldom spend more than that on the tube anyway

Very good tip though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkie)
    Use this discount instead of your student discount.
    This applies a £3.10 cap for the day whereas your student discount only helps you if you're buying a weekly travelcard.

Thanks. . I currently get a monthly travelcard, but if (over the holidays, for example) I am only using it for intermittent days, could I then use the cap?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. . I currently get a monthly travelcard, but if (over the holidays, for example) I am only using it for intermittent days, could I then use the cap?
    Of course! You don't have to do anything [aside from making sure your Young Persons & Oyster are sorted as mentioned above] for it to work on a daily basis. Once it is applied, it is done!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, on a bog-standard Oyster (if it's registered to the same name that's on your 16-25 railcard).

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You can apply to a student Oyster, as I have done it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.