Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Something all Students need to know. Take your "Young Persons" railcard [or Disabled Persons, HM Forces or Senior railcards] to your local tube station and ask them to apply the discount to your Oyster card.

Full details can be seen at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

Which include how much your Oyster will be capped at is you don't live/travel in Zones 1 & 2.

Please note though, that your Oyster card will need to have enough money on for the journey in which the 'capping' takes place [i.e. you will need to have at least £1.50 for Zone 1/2 even if you've travelled twice - the journey will only cost you 10p, but you need to have £1.50 on your Oyster or it won't let you through the gates!]

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Liam

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can't tell you how much money this little-known fact has saved me over the last year!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate. Heard of this before but forgot to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Hm....I dont understand properly !

So, if you cap it at £3.10, you can use if for the whole day where ever you want to travel ?

ReputationRep:
    Within zones 1 & 2. The maximum you will pay is £3.10. Once you have applied your Young Persons railcard to you Oyster card [ask at a ticket booth in a station] then you don't need to do anything special.

ReputationRep:
    I think I love you.

No really.

ReputationRep:
    ah...got it, thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I think I love you.

No really.
    Why thank you. :o:

Feel free to express this love if you ever see me about campus :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand how this works.

I have a student oyster card (which gives me 30% discount on 7day travelcards+).

And I travel between zones 1+2 and also use busses.

How would this work for me?

Sorry, I realise the stupidity of my question, but I'm very, very tired !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Mortell)
    Why thank you. :o:

Feel free to express this love if you ever see me about campus :p:
    Ooooooh, a QMUL-er! Exciting. Say hi if you see me (unless you're a walking lamp post thingy I'm unlikely to recognise you...)

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a Student Oyster card for this to work. You need a National Rail Young Person's Railcard. If you were to get your Young Person's railcard applied to Oyster card then the maximum you would pay each day is £3.10 which would work out weekly as £21.70 if you travelled Off-peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    I don't really understand how this works.

I have a student oyster card (which gives me 30% discount on 7day travelcards+).

And I travel between zones 1+2 and also use busses.

How would this work for me?

Sorry, I realise the stupidity of my question, but I'm very, very tired !
    Use this discount instead of your student discount.
    This applies a £3.10 cap for the day whereas your student discount only helps you if you're buying a weekly travelcard.

ReputationRep:
    This is good, but you have to travel more than just to and from x in order for it to save you anything, so it isn't good for me because I seldom spend more than that on the tube anyway

Very good tip though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkie)
    Use this discount instead of your student discount.
    This applies a £3.10 cap for the day whereas your student discount only helps you if you're buying a weekly travelcard.

Thanks. . I currently get a monthly travelcard, but if (over the holidays, for example) I am only using it for intermittent days, could I then use the cap?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. . I currently get a monthly travelcard, but if (over the holidays, for example) I am only using it for intermittent days, could I then use the cap?
    Of course! You don't have to do anything [aside from making sure your Young Persons & Oyster are sorted as mentioned above] for it to work on a daily basis. Once it is applied, it is done!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, on a bog-standard Oyster (if it's registered to the same name that's on your 16-25 railcard).

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You can apply to a student Oyster, as I have done it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.