The Student Room Group

Parents don’t think I should go to school

I’ve had a bit of a breakdown and I’ve been in bed crying for a worryingly long time (more than a day). I’ve got loads of stuff going on and I just panicked I guess. I’ve not been eating much and I haven’t done my homework, just haven’t done anything, because I can’t.

My parents want me to stay at home and rest for as long as I need - even if I’m off school all week - before I do something stupid, but I have mocks and an important geography trip that’s going to make up a significant part of paper 3 next year.

I feel like I have to go, even if it makes things worse. Do I go or do I listen to my parents?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe try to do online learning for a few days to balance your mental health and learning. But I would definitely go on the trip.

Try to get all the help you need. No need to stress out. But clearing out the backlog of things to do will reduce the stress
Original post by Lucadahse
Maybe try to do online learning for a few days to balance your mental health and learning. But I would definitely go on the trip.

Try to get all the help you need. No need to stress out. But clearing out the backlog of things to do will reduce the stress

Even if I do online learning, I’ll miss my mocks :frown: I have one exam per day until Wednesday. I’ll see how I am tomorrow though, and I’ll do what I can to go on the trip. Thank you :smile:
I'm sorry you're going through this :frown:
Have you tried explaining to them why you don't want to stay at home? Maybe you can compromise. But you do need to be kind to yourself.
Original post by iL1L
I'm sorry you're going through this :frown:
Have you tried explaining to them why you don't want to stay at home? Maybe you can compromise. But you do need to be kind to yourself.

Yeah, I’ve mentioned the mocks, but they told me that my mental health is more important than my grades…
Thank you :hugs:
Original post by RushingRiver
Yeah, I’ve mentioned the mocks, but they told me that my mental health is more important than my grades…

I guess you have to decide what will make you feel better overall...
Original post by iL1L
I guess you have to decide what will make you feel better overall...

Yeah… I’ll probably make a decision tomorrow morning, in the hope that sleep will help :redface:
Maybe do the mocks now, then take a complete break with e-learning until the trip
Maybe do the mocks now, then take a complete break with e-learning until the trip

I can’t… my exams are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, then the trip is Thursday. The mocks are done in controlled conditions and everything so I guess maybe I could resit if I have to but I’m not sure how it all works.
It’s 4 days. Try to survive them and then take along break
It’s 4 days. Try to survive them and then take along break

Alright, I’ll try… thank you

They are absolutely correct - your mental health matters a lot more that mocks that ultimately mean nothing in the long run. Look after yourself and don't worry about the mocks.
Original post by black tea
They are absolutely correct - your mental health matters a lot more that mocks that ultimately mean nothing in the long run. Look after yourself and don't worry about the mocks.

That’s true, I’m just worried about the school being annoyed cause my attendance is only like 90% anyway. I keep taking days off for my mental health and it’s not ideal!
That’s true, I’m just worried about the school being annoyed cause my attendance is only like 90% anyway. I keep taking days off for my mental health and it’s not ideal!

It really doesn't matter if they get annoyed - you are unwell and it's not your fault if you need time off. Are you getting any help with your mental health?
I’m really sorry you’re going through a hard time. From experience I say prioritise your mental health, that’s the thing I wish I did when I was in a similar situation. I went through a depressive episode but instead of giving myself time to get through it I pushed myself too hard and that only made things worse in the long run. Take as much time as you need, your education will still be there when you’re ready and if you miss your mocks I’m sure they’ll be other ways for your teachers to find out what grades you’re working at. As for the trip, it depends on if you think you can push through it but don’t push yourself too hard. Be kind to yourself and I hope things get better for you soon :smile:
It really doesn't matter if they get annoyed - you are unwell and it's not your fault if you need time off. Are you getting any help with your mental health?

Yeah, I guess I’ll probably be taking a day or two off then :/
Yes, I’m in counselling but it’s not really working (counsellor seems kinda biased) so my parents are looking for a new one I think. The school knows I have depression as well and they put me on the waiting list for the school counsellor but the waiting list is so long that I don’t think anything will ever happen.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m really sorry you’re going through a hard time. From experience I say prioritise your mental health, that’s the thing I wish I did when I was in a similar situation. I went through a depressive episode but instead of giving myself time to get through it I pushed myself too hard and that only made things worse in the long run. Take as much time as you need, your education will still be there when you’re ready and if you miss your mocks I’m sure they’ll be other ways for your teachers to find out what grades you’re working at. As for the trip, it depends on if you think you can push through it but don’t push yourself too hard. Be kind to yourself and I hope things get better for you soon :smile:

Yeah, I guess I’ll probably be taking a day or two off then :/
Yes, I’m in counselling but it’s not really working (counsellor seems kinda biased) so my parents are looking for a new one I think. The school knows I have depression as well and they put me on the waiting list for the school counsellor but the waiting list is so long that I don’t think anything will ever happen.

Sorry to hear it's not working, but glad to hear that your parents are supportive and are looking for other ways to help you. Hope you manage to find a counsellor who is more helpful soon. May be worth seeing your GP is you haven't already.
Sorry to hear it's not working, but glad to hear that your parents are supportive and are looking for other ways to help you. Hope you manage to find a counsellor who is more helpful soon. May be worth seeing your GP is you haven't already.

I did see a GP a while ago, who suggested counselling. I might have to go back looking for more help in the future though, cause if I’m not coping now, there’s no way I’ll cope with A-Levels or uni :/
I did see a GP a while ago, who suggested counselling. I might have to go back looking for more help in the future though, cause if I’m not coping now, there’s no way I’ll cope with A-Levels or uni :/

You should definitely go back if things are getting worse

Quick Reply

Latest