The Student Room Group

a level options

hello hi, i was wondering if anyone who is doing/has done a level chemistry and/or a level english language could tell me what they thought!! i really can't decide between the two and need some help!! btw my other a levels are spanish, german & physics and i'm predicted a 9 in chemistry and an 8 in english language!!
I take A-level Chemistry (AQA), but don't take English language.

Do you have any specific questions or concerns?
Physics without Maths is not a great idea - most degrees involving Physics want Maths.
No-one needs 4 A levels.
Hi!! I take a level chemistry and really enjoy it (doing my actual a level paper 2 tomorrow!!) Is there anything you want to know specifically?
As a summary, there are 3 main parts to a level chem: Physical chemistry (maths based), Inorganic (elements and memorising equations) and Organic (carbon and drawing structures) which I think it what makes chemistry a really great A level subject because it keeps it dynamic and interesting but also, everyone is usually good at at least one of the 3 depending on your interests and strengths. Plus Chemistry A level really integrates a lot of subjects into the spec for example, physics and particles, biology when you learn about DNA and proteins etc.
Hope this helps!!
Original post by imclx
hello hi, i was wondering if anyone who is doing/has done a level chemistry and/or a level english language could tell me what they thought!! i really can't decide between the two and need some help!! btw my other a levels are spanish, german & physics and i'm predicted a 9 in chemistry and an 8 in english language!!

Hiii, I'm representing A-level English Language here!
I've just finished a level exams and at GCSE I got a 7 (pretty average). I went for it and loved it! Everyone goes for Lit because they think Lang will be boring but honestly it's so different at A-level.
If you do AQA like me it's split into:
-Frameworks (the basics of language like grammar, phonology, etc. DONT WORRY bc they teach you everything, even if you don't know your nouns, etc. This is the most boring bit but doesn't last long and can be interesting. Needed for analysis qus.)
-Sociolinguistics (the interesting parts! Here you learn real case studies and theories about why people speak the way they do. It can be split into Region, Sexuality, Gender, Occupation, Social Groups, Age, etc. It's SO interesting and shows how society works)
-CLA (this is Child Language Acquisition- basically how children acquire language. The most interesting part for me as you learn why kids need to acquire lang before puberty, what words they speak first, why and much more. Really fun)
-Lang throughout time (The history of language which is SUPER interesting. We learnt about dictionaries being made, technology impact, why Americans use different words and spell them differently and much more)
-Coursework of a creative piece (story, article, blog, anything really and you can write about whatever you want)
-Coursework of personal investigation (look into anything you want regarding language. I do media so I linked it to that by doing 'How do fiction television programmes verses non-fiction programmes represent police officers' where I watched Line of Duty and 24hrs in police custody and transcribed the lang used.)

That's pretty much everything- its a really interesting and different subject that people who do it love. I know nothing about Chem lol cant help there.

Quick Reply

Latest