Wider reading for Spanish and Portuguese?

Watch this thread
blue-banisters
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hello! not sure if I’ve posted this in the right place but I’m in year 12 and I’m planning on studying Spanish and Portuguese at uni.. I’m doing Spanish A-level but I’ve never done Portuguese before so does anyone have any book recommendations for wider reading? they can be in either languages (English aswell) and about anything related to the language/culture/history even fiction and if you’ve watched anything I might find useful let me know! thank youu x
kcsjeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
love in the time of cholera? i want to read that personally, since it's referenced in one of my favourite shows.
paulo coelho is a famous writer in portuguese.
i read half of don quixote in the summer of 2019. it was fun!! but then i had to return it before i could read part 2.
what job are you planning on getting with your degree?
blue-banisters
Rep:
thank you! I love the ballet of don quixote so hopefully I’ll like reading it haha. not sure what job I’m planning on yet, maybe teaching? I really don’t know there’s so many options 😭 but thank youu
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there!

I'm currently finishing up my Spanish degree at Lancaster and whilst books were a big part of my degree, I can also recommend some films which were not only integral to the degree but also to learning about the culture!
For Spain, we had Almodóvar's Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios, (part of the madrilena movement) Del Toro's El espinazo del diablo (useful for the civil war), and whilst this may be an English film, Land and Freedom by Ken Loach is really good for looking at the Civil War, a topic that comes up a lot as you can imagine.
I know you asked for reading but one thing that was really made obvious on my course was the value that films have for showing a particular time in history.

-Daisy (student ambassador)
blue-banisters
Rep:
Hi thank you so much! In all honesty I would probably prefer watching films anyway, its just that my school has been preaching books at us hahah. A mix of both is probably the best way to go about it so thank you!
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hi there!

I'm currently finishing up my Spanish degree at Lancaster and whilst books were a big part of my degree, I can also recommend some films which were not only integral to the degree but also to learning about the culture!
For Spain, we had Almodóvar's Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios, (part of the madrilena movement) Del Toro's El espinazo del diablo (useful for the civil war), and whilst this may be an English film, Land and Freedom by Ken Loach is really good for looking at the Civil War, a topic that comes up a lot as you can imagine.
I know you asked for reading but one thing that was really made obvious on my course was the value that films have for showing a particular time in history.

-Daisy (student ambassador)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (28)
19.58%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (33)
23.08%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (75)
52.45%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.9%

Watched Threads