The Student Room Group

Unis with Biology with focus on animals?

What respected unis do a biology bsc with a lot of ecology/zoology modules? I know Bristol has a nice general course, but I’m wondering what other unis do this.
Also I’d like to hear in general from students doing biology bsc what uni you go and how genuinely interesting/engaging the course is? I’d ideally like to go to a russell group due to the prestige.
Original post by floppyfish
What respected unis do a biology bsc with a lot of ecology/zoology modules? I know Bristol has a nice general course, but I’m wondering what other unis do this.
Also I’d like to hear in general from students doing biology bsc what uni you go and how genuinely interesting/engaging the course is? I’d ideally like to go to a russell group due to the prestige.

Hi @floppyfish

At the University of Lincoln we have a BSc Biology degree that may interest you as it has lots of Ecology and Zoology modules you can choose from. If you want to look at the specific module overviews for the degree you can view them here: BSc Biology

Although the University of Lincoln is not a Russell Group University we still have very successful graduate outcomes and some of our degrees are ranked amongst the highest in the UK especially for student satisfaction which is really important to us. If you want to chat to some of our current students about their time at the University of Lincoln or about studying with us you can do so via our Chat with Our Students page using UniBuddy here: UniBuddy Link

If you have anymore questions you would like to ask about the University of Lincoln you can do so via UniBuddy or by emailing our dedicated enquiries team on [email protected]

Best of luck with your search

Megan
Y3 BA Education Student
In general a biology/biological sciences course will cover a range of areas including zoological topics, plant sciences, as well as some "fundamental" bioscience material (i.e. biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology).

If you're really primarily focused on animal biology I'd suggest looking at zoology courses :smile: They usually are pretty similar to biological sciences degrees, you just don't do the plant sciences content and sometimes as a result have slightly more focused content on e.g. developmental biology, physiology and so on.
Original post by artful_lounger
In general a biology/biological sciences course will cover a range of areas including zoological topics, plant sciences, as well as some "fundamental" bioscience material (i.e. biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology).

If you're really primarily focused on animal biology I'd suggest looking at zoology courses :smile: They usually are pretty similar to biological sciences degrees, you just don't do the plant sciences content and sometimes as a result have slightly more focused content on e.g. developmental biology, physiology and so on.

I want it to be a 'biology' degree because it gives a wider range of job opportunities in many different fields, as opposed to zoology. Biology also gives the opportunity to do a masters in physio which is a career I'm slightly interested in (a few decades down the line) so I want to keep that door open.
I'm also interested in other branches of biology which wouldn't be covered in a specific zoology degree.
thank you for your answer though!
I want it to be a 'biology' degree because it gives a wider range of job opportunities in many different fields, as opposed to zoology. Biology also gives the opportunity to do a masters in physio which is a career I'm slightly interested in (a few decades down the line) so I want to keep that door open.
I'm also interested in other branches of biology which wouldn't be covered in a specific zoology degree.

I would note for physiotherapy, most pre-reg masters look specifically for degrees in e.g. biomedical sciences, physiology, human biology etc, rather than biological sciences (or zoology) generally. However it's also an exception subject which means you can get full funding from SFE for doing it as a second undergraduate degree, rather than a pre-reg masters.

Outside of that, there isn't going to be any material difference in "job prospects" between zoology and biological sciences. They cover largely the same content (excepting plant sciences) and most generalist grad schemes in business, the media, civil service, etc, don't care what your first degree was in.

So if your main interest in animal biology, it would make a lot of sense to do a zoology degree as you really don't miss out on anything compared to doing biological sciences in the long run, but might enjoy it more in the short run! Also the only area that tends not to be covered in zoology but is covered in biological sciences is plant science related topics. Plus you can probably take those as optional modules anyway if you wanted...

Otherwise most biological sciences degrees will focus on animal biology roughly the same amount - slightly less than their parallel zoology courses, but much more than any biomolecular science course (e.g. biochemistry, biomedical sciences, genetics, physiology etc). You might also want to look at courses in conservation and/or ecology generally as well.

One thing you need to be aware of is that in terms of Physiotherapy pre-reg masters degrees (and undergraduate degrees) that a lot of Universities request that the qualifications be recent (usually max 5 years).

Hi @floppyfish!

I am about to graduate from the University of Southampton with a BSc degree in Zoology so I may be able to answer some of your questions 😊.

If you plan to pick ecology- and zoology-related modules at the university which belongs to the Russel Group, I would encourage you to take a look at our BSc Biology course. The structure of the first year is quite fixed so that all students can get appropriate foundations, but as you progress, you have much more freedom, and you can pick subjects you genuinely enjoy.

According to your interest, you could choose, e.g. modules such as Animal Behaviour, Vertebrate Zoology or Behaviour and Ecology Field course. At the same time, you could think about more human-focused ones, such as Neuroscience. It is just important to remember that their names may change from one year to another, and it’s worth taking a look at the detailed course structure before applying 😊.

Being a person with a wide spectrum of interests, I can understand why you want to go for a slightly broader course. I picked modules from the field of evolution and ecology along with those concerning genetics and bioinformatics and really enjoyed this combination as it allowed me to see the bigger picture. I also appreciated the opportunity of having both fieldwork as well as labwork experience.

Having said so, I would just double-check the requirements for the Physiotherapy degree as others have already pointed out since it might influence your plans…

Please let me know if there is anything you would like to know more about,
Agnes Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest