Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,
    I'm currently a high school senior interested in applying to the LSE this year. Test scores are as follows:
    SAT - 790 Math, 800 Critical Reading, 750 Writing
    SAT II - 800 Mandarin and Math II, 770 World History, 760 Biology
    AP - 5's on Biology, World History, and US History, 4 on Chemistry
    I will also be taking AP's in Economics (Macro and Micro), Physics C (E and M), French Lit, Calculus BC, and Psychology this May. I expect to get 4's or 5's on them.

I've already looked through both the UCAS and LSE websites, but still have many questions regarding the UK college application system. For my reference, would it be better to ask my guidance counselor (who could evaluate my performance in school in relation to the rest of the student body) or a high school teacher (who would only be able to assess my performance in one class)? Also, how should I go about getting predicted scores?

I am also uncertain about what should go into the reference letter. I've talked to my guidance counselor, and she's basically told me to edit the letter she's already written as needed (I've already submitted her letter for my apps in the US). In the current letter, she talks about my extracurricular activities and academic performance.

Still writing my PS, so I'll probably have questions about that soon too.

Also, chances would be nice. At this point, I'm deciding between Economics and Economics and Economic History. Would it be a bad idea to apply to both?

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    with regards to references it is best to ask your guidance counselor as you need someone to talk about your overall performance both academic and extracurricular.

Priedicted scores- ask your teachers and the higher they are (as long as you are able to achieve them) the better

ReputationRep:
    hey zephyr!

to begin with: WELL DONE ON YOUR EXAMS...your SAT and SAT II scores are IMPRESSIVE!! also, its not the norm people takin so many APs, is it?! anyways..for straigh economics, you will defs need a 5 in Calculus(so get your teacher to predict you this)...dont worry too muc abot the reference, as long as your teacher writes somethin nice, it will be fine(though tell him/her she should focus on your academia, becaue LSE is not that bothered about extra curricular activities)...I rekon you have a very good chance of gettin in, your grades should really guna cut it!

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies! I'm definitely really nervous about the application process because no one I know has ever tried applying to school in the UK. Would LSE need to see a hard copy of my test scores as proof? Obviously, there isn't a CEEB code for LSE so I wouldn't be able to send the score reports in normally via Collegeboard. I've read that you could have the scores sent to your school, seal them, and then send them in yourself. Is that necessary though? That might take a while....

In regards to the reference letter, my counselor has asked me to edit the letter myself and then discuss with her (she really doesn't have the time since she has dozens of other letters to write). So, would it be possible for someone here to take a look at it? I'm really not too sure about what to add, especially since half the letter is currently taken up by my extracurricular activities. >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zephyr739)
    Thank you for the replies! I'm definitely really nervous about the application process because no one I know has ever tried applying to school in the UK. Would LSE need to see a hard copy of my test scores as proof? Obviously, there isn't a CEEB code for LSE so I wouldn't be able to send the score reports in normally via Collegeboard. I've read that you could have the scores sent to your school, seal them, and then send them in yourself. Is that necessary though? That might take a while....

In regards to the reference letter, my counselor has asked me to edit the letter myself and then discuss with her (she really doesn't have the time since she has dozens of other letters to write). So, would it be possible for someone here to take a look at it? I'm really not too sure about what to add, especially since half the letter is currently taken up by my extracurricular activities. >.<
    They would ask for it if they need a hard copy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zephyr739)

I don't know how the process works if you are applying directly from high school, but they would most likely want to see hard copies of your test scores. I had to send them official copies of my university transcripts because they requested it. I reckon you can have the scores sent to you and then resend them to LSE?

As for the reference letter, I would advise you against having anyone on TSR to look at it. It isn't the same as a personal statement and I don't know if it is really kosher, but that might be just me. Perhaps you could ask one of your teachers to look it over? Also, I'd focus more on academics than on extracurricular activities.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel very comfortable posting my reference either, but no one I know has any idea what should be put into it. I guess I'd feel more comfortable if someone who's actually familiar with the UK system had a look at it before I submitted it, especially since my counselor told me to edit it myself.

ReputationRep:
    Wow...you are from Boston, I went to B.C. High in Dorchester (JFK/UMass Station red line) for 2 years before I came to Africa, ... it's really nice to see another Bostonian applying to LSE. As for the reference, my teacher filled with academic evaluations (he went around each teacher who's teaching me in 6 different subjects and just wrote down their impressions upon my academic ability...and potential, of course).
    Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, Lexington's more like a suburb outside of Boston...but I do know my way around the red line. That reference idea seems interesting, though I'll probably have to go around myself. My counselor has like 50 other students to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    And plus... I just wanted to add my own thought about the UCAS recommendation: It looked very very superficial... presumably due to the fact that my counsellor tried to squeeze in academic evaluations and comments on potentials from all 6 of my teachers into 500 words limit...and the evaluation also contained a number of "constructive" comments about,... bascially about my academic weaknesses (in a more euphemistic way, however)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.