The Student Room Group

Losing oil more and more since service

Hey,
I got a service in january on a 2017 hyundai i10. I bought it in september from arnold clark. After the service the oil was slowly draining (no visible leaks, no puddles where i park). Up until the last month and a half it wasnt too bad then i was all of a sudden having to fill the oil from minimum to maximum roughly every 3 days (i drive 50 miles to work and 50 miles home monday to friday).
It was an arnold clark renault garage that serviced the car. The car is in with an arnold clark hyundai garage (further away from home hence why the service wasn't done there) and they said i have 1 week left of warranty left (hyundai's 5 year warranty as arnold clark only give 60 days).
If they dont take the engine out before the end of this week (they claim there busy) then it wont be covered and if they take the engine out theres a chance it wont be covered anyway and will cost me around £750 or more to fix.
Do i have any leg to stand on?

When the car is fixed and the mot is done im going to trade the car in for hopefully a plug in hybrid, currently paying £126 a month fornthe car, its a 5 year loan. Willing to go up a bit if it saves a big chunk on my current £400 a month on petrol.
Closest chargers are an hour walk away and my work has chargers so a hybrid would be ideal.
(edited 1 year ago)
Issue has been brought to their attention whilst the warranty is still in place, therefore warranty will be valid for this issue. Make sure you let them know you know this.
Reply 2
Make sure you put the complaint of major oil loss in writing addressed to the service manager at Arnold Clark - there are many reasons for oil loss but the consumption you outline is excessive.

Some of the problems with buying a used cars (even from a big dealer like Arnold Clark) is that the car mileage can be easily 'clocked' and turned back. You can check some mileage history on the Govt/MOT history checker site, but if the mileage was low from new it only takes one person to hammer the living daylights out of the car since the last recorded MOT, digitally change the mileage then part ex it at Arnold Clark.

When the engine gets worn it can dump oil into the catalytic converter hence you won't see any oil leaks, but eventually the usual orange engine management light comes on. I know this is obvious but do make sure you have correctly identified the minimum & maximum marks on the dip stick - we have had some cars that are very difficult both to see oil against those marks which makes overfilling an engine damaging possibility.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights-aAnMC5b0ZzJb are the time limits on faulty car claims?

Consumer Rights for Second Hand Cars

I’ve owned the car for less than 30 days
The Consumer Rights Act gives you an initial 30 days to reject it, if it is faulty, and claim a full refund from the dealer that sold it to you. You can also ask for it to be repaired or replaced

After those first 30 days you have to give the dealer a chance to repair or replace the car.

There is a handy 'Which' tool to find out what your legal rights are.

I’ve owned the car for more than 30 days
You're entitled to ask for a repair or replacement free of charge.

If the repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you're entitled to a refund. The car dealer can deduct ‘fair use’ from the refund after the first 30 days.

First six months If you take the vehicle back within six months of purchase, the dealer should accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold and offer a partial refund or to repair or replace it.

If the dealer doesn't accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold, they'll have to prove this.

After six months
It will be up to you to prove there was a problem with the vehicle when sold to you, after you've owned it for longer than six months.

You'll have to provide evidence of this so it may help to get an independent report which could establish the condition of the vehicle when sold.

Up to six years You can take action for breaches of the Consumer Right Act, like being sold a faulty car, for up to six years (five in Scotland) after the date of the contract. But you need to think carefully whether you're claim is realistic, especially if you've got an older vehicle that's been used for a reasonable length of time.

The link below may help if they refuse to play ball and you want to take the issue further

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-to-do-if-your-car-warranty-company-won-t-pay-for-repairs-at9Wy1X9cEeN

Good luck - Beware that the 'fair wear and tear' exclusions in warranties often exclude nearly everything on warranty claims and you may have to get an independent garage report for the car.

Use any legal expenses cover you might hold if you consider making a small claims court claim. The legal expenses can be any from contents insurance, student union membership, home insurance, your own car insurance (if you took it out)
Glasgow lad here, Arnold Clark went right down the toilet pan as soon as the old man passed away. I wouldn't touch them now.
Original post by StriderHort
Glasgow lad here, Arnold Clark went right down the toilet pan as soon as the old man passed away. I wouldn't touch them now.

What's their nickname? Arnold Shark right

Quick Reply

Latest