Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Great, you would have to be going to the Uni of Nottingham...

ReputationRep:
    maybe something switches on routinely at 3am and creates a smell. or maybe farting without realising too much at night time is the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DominF)
    Great, you would have to be going to the Uni of Nottingham...
    Well, I did say I didn't really believe in ghosts, that must make me slightly rational and therefore intelligent and therefore a good representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotboy)
    maybe something switches on routinely at 3am and creates a smell. or maybe farting without realising too much at night time is the problem
    I stopped the farting early on by using a cork, yet the smell continued...

Good idea about the switching on of something, I forgot to mention there's a food smell machine in there, how silly of me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    OK, so I'm here at Nottingham Uni, and I noticed from the first day here my pantry felt weird to go into, as if there was someone watching me. Over the first few weeks I found that all the other pantries (kettle, toaster,microwave,sink, No oven) in my hall all smell pretty fresh, yet the one opposite to me always smells really weird, meaning I don't use it and use the one at the other end of the corridor!

I've noticed that each morning, around 3am, sitting in my room at the laptop or after coming in from a club, there is a very strong smell wafting in under the door - a few nights ago there was the smell of curry, last night there was another smell like it, and today there is a smell that is similar, although some nights it's different...

I've noticed this for a few weeks now, and have actively started to watch out for anyone using the pantry to put my mind at ease, so I've been leaving my door ajar and listening out for anyone using it that could explain the smells.

Obviously I have seen no-one yet the smell comes through again, and I go into the pantry and the smell is really strong in there yet there's nobody about, and I would have heard the microwave or toaster for definite if they had been in use!

The other pantry smells fresh as usual.

I don't really believe in ghosts but I cant think of an explanation, I've been in there during the day and attacked the smell with the best air freshener i could buy, and the smell was back within the hour.

I'm not really looking for advice, just wondering if anyoen has experienced anything like this before?
    hahahaha, I just watched the spoiler in your sig!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    hahahaha, I just watched the spoiler in your sig!
    Lol it's a hidden gem

I don't suppose he died after that fall and had any kind of haunting vendetta against me for showing the video... did he...?

I'm sure it's no related that the smell is of curry :eek:

ReputationRep:
    How the hell does "Curry smell = ghost" ?

ReputationRep:
    It's not the fact that it smells of curry, just that it smells really strongly all of a sudden yet nobody has been into the pantry for three or four hours - it does smell of different things some nights, but not sure what exactly.

ReputationRep:
    is there a bin in there? maybe someone likes to get curry after a night out, eat it while they're getting back, and puts the leftovers in the bin when they get in?

also if there's anything that heats up, like a radiator, near the bin, it'll make the smell stronger

ReputationRep:
    It's probably an Indian ghost. Christian, I would set up a video camera in the pantry over night and see if there's anything creepy going on.

ReputationRep:
    A pantry? Oh lah-dee-dah, Mrs. Frenchman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdasta)
    :rofl: I was gonna say something remotely helpful but now I cant XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdasta)
    Lol not my word

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.