The Student Room Group

Sixth form preparation

I will be taking french, English literature and psychology. I have heard that some people get ready for as levels during the summer before year 12. Is this a good idea? And, if so how should i prepare? Thank you. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by abc-2006
I will be taking french, English literature and psychology. I have heard that some people get ready for as levels during the summer before year 12. Is this a good idea? And, if so how should i prepare? Thank you. :smile:

There's really not a lot you can do before - I'd suggest just doing some extra reading etc or watching some things in french or brushing up on gcse knowledge... however all of it is taught at alevel and it's perfectly fine :smile:

i do physics maths and geography, so there's not alot i can relate to, but i'd just make sure that you've looked at your specifications (if you know which exam boards you're doing) and are clear about the course and its structure. honestly you should relax over the summer. there will be people who do work over the summer but don't feel like you should just because they are.
my only advice is once year 12 starts, revise from the first day onwards because that was my biggest mistake, i kind of slacked off at the start :frown:

you just finished gcses! relax, have fun and sleep lots, its gonna be the last time you can have a fully chilled out summer for a while :smile:

people who do work over the summer before they start don’t do any better than those that don’t, just prepare yourself because as soon as you’re there, its game on
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by greentrea
i do physics maths and geography, so there's not alot i can relate to, but i'd just make sure that you've looked at your specifications (if you know which exam boards you're doing) and are clear about the course and its structure. honestly you should relax over the summer. there will be people who do work over the summer but don't feel like you should just because they are.
my only advice is once year 12 starts, revise from the first day onwards because that was my biggest mistake, i kind of slacked off at the start :frown:

I'm doing the same a levels and did the same in year 12 and now I'm looking at unis I'm like ahhh.
But yeh as soon as year 12 starts then make your best effort

I don't take any of your subjects but my friends who take languages say to keep practicing all over the summer as you will lose your skills if you don't practice. Even if it's just a bit of duolingo or watching a show in french every other day all of that will help! I went from a very high level of french (my parents are fluent) to only being able to say bits and pieces over the summer because I didn't use my french at all!
Reply 6
Original post by PhantomMercy
I don't take any of your subjects but my friends who take languages say to keep practicing all over the summer as you will lose your skills if you don't practice. Even if it's just a bit of duolingo or watching a show in french every other day all of that will help! I went from a very high level of french (my parents are fluent) to only being able to say bits and pieces over the summer because I didn't use my french at all!

Thank you, i'll make sure to practice.:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Jake9920
There's really not a lot you can do before - I'd suggest just doing some extra reading etc or watching some things in french or brushing up on gcse knowledge... however all of it is taught at alevel and it's perfectly fine :smile:

Thank you:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by greentrea

Thank you :smile:
same i feel like my predicted grades won't be high enough

Original post by Jake9920
I'm doing the same a levels and did the same in year 12 and now I'm looking at unis I'm like ahhh.
But yeh as soon as year 12 starts then make your best effort

I do English Literature and I'd recommend pre-reading the novels if you'd like to do some work before starting, however if you don't it is absolutely fine as they go over it all at A-Level anyway!

Enjoy the summer and make the most of it as it is a very long summer and you deserve some rest after GCSEs :smile:

All you need to do is make sure you don't manage to somehow forget how to speak French, and to order and read the books for English. Other than that, your summer is free to enjoy! If you really want to, you can take a look at the specification for your courses and see the topics, and see if any YouTube videos come up (like documentaries and the such, rather than revision videos - you will have plenty of time to watch those, believe me) that you find interesting.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest