Design technology A level AQA portfolio

Watch this thread
ScarletAH
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’m currently at the end of year 12 and we have just started deciding what we want to do in our actual DT A level. I am going to make a outdoor cat house/shelter. It is for cat owners that leave their cats alone for a long time and have their neighbours feel the cat. It will provide a safe shelter and I want to add windows to it as there aren’t many cat house with acrylic windows available. Is this a good project, can I archive a high grade A/B?
I am also struggling with the online portfolio as my teacher is giving us no guidance. If anyone would be able to send me their old A level portfolio that they got a good grade on, it would be really useful. Not to copy it but to use it as a guide as to what to add to each page. If so let me know. I’m on the first page and I’m completely clueless as to what to add, a mind map, a specification, design brief?
If anyone has any advice, feedback or a online portfolio they don’t mind sharing please comment on this post.
Thank you!
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
A mind map is a good idea. Also do a design brief. I also found that making a short colour coded list of important factors for consideration was a really good way in order to help me to start on coursework tasks for other subjects.
Anko15
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ScarletAH)
Hi, I’m currently at the end of year 12 and we have just started deciding what we want to do in our actual DT A level. I am going to make a outdoor cat house/shelter. It is for cat owners that leave their cats alone for a long time and have their neighbours feel the cat. It will provide a safe shelter and I want to add windows to it as there aren’t many cat house with acrylic windows available. Is this a good project, can I archive a high grade A/B?
I am also struggling with the online portfolio as my teacher is giving us no guidance. If anyone would be able to send me their old A level portfolio that they got a good grade on, it would be really useful. Not to copy it but to use it as a guide as to what to add to each page. If so let me know. I’m on the first page and I’m completely clueless as to what to add, a mind map, a specification, design brief?
If anyone has any advice, feedback or a online portfolio they don’t mind sharing please comment on this post.
Thank you!
This project could be done well however there might be problems with your target market research as it is for cats you can't get specific feedback unless you know a few people who own cats for client research. I suggest you start with a broad mind map so you don't focus on something too quickly as the design process is all about development. This can be about pets in general, maybe look into automatic feeding ect. You can look into existing products and analyse them and do some article research to prove the need for your context. Design spec and brief comes a bit after all this primary/secondary research. I do AQA DT so looking at the NEA spec for it could be helpful too. Lmk if u need any more help
ChicKevin
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ScarletAH)
Thank you!
Mine have every page maxed out with text and images so takes an awful long time to read.
I was awarded 84/85 by my teacher - don't be surprised, I've spent a lot of own time doing it (plus I chose design as my career).

Your project is very interesting, however I think it is very specific (the "so neighbour can pet it bit") which makes it more of a one-off design and targets very few clients - meaning quality of primary research is likely to be low (pool of client not big enough so cannot collect enough feedback for design improvements).
Could it be - designing a modular outdoor garden for people who leaves their pets at home?
Modular meaning users can choose different components to fit their needs (eg dogs vs tortoises - have very different needs).

Reply or tag me if you would like more advice!
Click this link to view my NEA
Last edited by ChicKevin; 1 month ago
livalotxxxxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChicKevin)
Mine have every page maxed out with text and images so takes an awful long time to read.
I was awarded 84/85 by my teacher - don't be surprised, I've spent a lot of own time doing it (plus I chose design as my career).

Reply or tag me if you would like more advice!
Click this link to view my NEA
Hi chicKevin I am doing A level product design (in Y12) and my PD teacher has not explained the NEA coursework very well. I am still so confused as to what I need to do so seeing a real example would be so helpful. Could you send the password to view your NEA. Thanks so much.
ChicKevin
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by livalotxxxxx)
Hi chicKevin I am doing A level product design (in Y12) and my PD teacher has not explained the NEA coursework very well. I am still so confused as to what I need to do so seeing a real example would be so helpful. Could you send the password to view your NEA. Thanks so much.
I have changed the settings and now anyone with the link can view it. You can try the link again and tell me if it still doesn't work.
livalotxxxxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChicKevin)
I have changed the settings and now anyone with the link can view it. You can try the link again and tell me if it still doesn't work.
Thank you. It looks incredible well done!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads