Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

you are all really mean. ha.
    i am allowed me opinion!
    and i dont like the applications prodcedures so nerrrrrrrr.
    gay.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Mithra)
    *gasp* Blasphemy! Cambridge don't allow in anyone who doesn't speak in a perfect 'received pronunciation'. In fact I heard that they are bringing in a test to ensure that you aren't faking it this year.
    That's true, I did fake my accent in interview, just as I do most of the time when I'm in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    We should organise a TSR field trip to Warwick to throw bacon butties at her.
    love it!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Superhellie)
    i am allowed me opinion!
    gay.
    Nobody's being mean, they're simply pointing out how your opinion is based on false premises and assumptions which are simply wrong.

ReputationRep:
    i am allowed me opinion!
    gay.
    This compelling line of argument gives you more depth and I instantly feel inclined to agree.

Oh wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Of course they are. But that article is clearly very biased without any knowledge of the style of a Cambridge interview.

she went to the interview so she obviously did realise the style and felt discriminated. as it is 2001 things may have changed now, but you dont know how things were back then, so who are you to say she lying when you dont even know the girl

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=LH123]Maybe you just cannot manage the exams, and thus do not like them? Oxbridge are looking for academics, the best academics in most cases, and since many think the current examination system is flawed they must differentiate between two candidates somehow.

One case =/= every case. Just because the one or two times someone is treated horribly gets publicised it does not mean 100's of interviews where candidates are treated with respect and common courtesy don't happen. People just don't find the need to go to the media with these stories; its sensational sob stories that sell newspapers, something the British public can have a good moan about.

it shouldnt happen to anyone, not even once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Lit and Lang are respected, I would say. Plus the fact that I studied Literature in one year and failed the synoptic and still got an A suggests that, yes, I was Oxbridge material. 3 marks off AAA, which is the standard offer, would have sufficed, I'd have thought??? :dontknow: Or is it so elitist you have to be spot on?

Anyway, why do Essex girls wear knickers?

To keep their ankles warm.
    Erm...

ReputationRep:
    Did I say it was right what supposedly happened? No.

But the Oxbridge admittance tutors are not Deities, with Godlike powers and personalities. Everyone is human, you will get some nice professors, and some right **** ones too.

ReputationRep:
    i am allowed me opinion!
    [...] so nerrrrrrrr.
    gay.
    I wonder if this is why you mightn't do so well in an Oxbridge interview?

ReputationRep:
    Hang on... had anyone else pointed out that

1) she had a UCAS form
    2) she likely had more than one interview?
    3) she probably submitted written work before the interview?
    4) she may have taken an exam?

So she was underwhelming overall, not just because of one dicky interview.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by daniel250121)
    she went to the interview so she obviously did realise the style and felt discriminated. as it is 2001 things may have changed now, but you dont know how things were back then, so who are you to say she lying when you dont even know the girl
    I didn't say she lied. But the fact she felt affronted by people telling her she's wrong suggests she didn't what to expect from her interview. There is nothing in that article that has any evidence, its 'just a feeling she got' which says nothing. What is there in that article to show that she 'obviously' realised the style.

And the interview wasn't 2001, it was 1997. Over that period of time it is easy to misremember things, particularly in the light of later experiences which distorts them from their accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure its much easier to get into cambridge now 10 years on from when she was interviewed, any riff raff can get in

ReputationRep:
    Last year two of my tutors were from countries other than Britain, one was Scottish (like me! So yeah, stop *****ing about how 'northern' you are and how awful it must presumably be at oxbridge, cause frankly, you are all from the sunny south as far as I'm concerned) and one was from somewhere else in the North of England.

But yeah.

Obviously they all spend their time learning to differentiate between different accents from neighbouring regions in the South of England in order to discriminate more effectively in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    apparently they ask for class sizes and everything
    Surely this is a relevant piece of information?

like the STEP paper apparently you have to get a tutor for specially because its stuff you dont learn otherwise.
    and what if you cant afford that tutor.
    No.

It's perfectly possible to get acceptable STEP grades using only free resources available on the internet. There's perhaps a small amount not on the syllabus, but nothing that someone aiming for maths at cambridge won't know already/be able to grasp quickly.

(Original post by blissy)
    I wonder if this is why you mightn't do so well in an Oxbridge interview?
    hey hey hey!
    i wasnt talking about me not doing well at an interview for oxbridge, i havent even considered applying there because i know i wouldnt like the sort of lifestyle you get out of going there anyway.
    no need to get personal geese.

ReputationRep:
    hey hey hey!
    i wasnt talking about me not doing well at an interview for oxbridge, i havent even considered applying there because i know i wouldnt like the sort of lifestyle you get out of going there anyway.
    no need to get personal geese.
    I know, sorry, I was only (half)joking.

I think your attitude is hilarious (in a good way).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    I'm sure its much easier to get into cambridge now 10 years on from when she was interviewed, any riff raff can get in
    Who are you calling riffraff? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge academically stimulates you but you're not set for the real world come the end of it unlike more rounded universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Please may I ask where exactly you go/went to university? Or whether you even go/went at all? I can't tell by your response...

Also, define 'riff raff'. Someone who's not in public school with bucketloads of money earned by mummy and daddy? You can be intelligent enough to get in to Oxbridge with a state education and an average upbringing without being 'riff raff', as you so articulately put it.

Come on, you could at least credit your elitism with a decent argument!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.