Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom Phoenix)
    but the fact that he'll live in halls for the remainder of his degree means he's not going to learn about all the boring crap that students at other unis have to deal with; council tax (well, how to not pay it), rent, power, cleaning
    This is the only 'real life experience' that a Cambridge or Oxford student will probably miss out on. They probably won't have the experience of renting private accommodation. And it's hardly insurmountable and unless someone was particularly inadequate I don't see why it hamper them at all.

There is no reason why someone from Oxford/Cambridge would be more likely to bring their washing home than any other student. It is also perfectly possible to cook at most colleges (and is probably cheaper).

Also it is obvious that your background and schooling has a lot to do with whether or not you go to Cambridge. But it is not very likely that the public/state discrepancy is due to Cambridge admissions policies or tutor biases. But blaming a particular institution is far easier than addressing more fundamental factors.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In fairness, my brother is studying at Oxford. He has no common sense, doesn't budget, brings his all his washing home to my mum at the end of term (!) and can't even boil an egg. I'm not saying that this is the case with all people who go to Oxbridge, but the fact that he'll live in halls for the remainder of his degree means he's not going to learn about all the boring crap that students at other unis have to deal with; council tax (well, how to not pay it), rent, power, cleaning and cooking for himself and so on. He's going to come out incredibly well-versed in his subject, but he's not going to come out capable and organised for the real world.
    Surely the easiest way of not paying council tax would be through being a student, though?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holty-Dave)
    The people from my school who went to oxbridge, nobody doubts their intellectual brilliance but as a person, they weren't socially smart and even naive to a certain extent. My point is Oxbridge drills people to achieve academic success rather than the whole 'student experience'. Part of the reason I declined to go there.
    May we construe this as your having successfully interviewed for admittance to Oxford/Cambridge and then refused the privilege, or do you in actual fact mean 'declined to apply'?

ReputationRep:
    my cambridge interview last year was one of the scariest things i have ever done and looking back was the funniest. i got so confused and muddled up that i said that the mediterranean sea froze over lol!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    May we construe this as your having successfully interviewed for admittance to Oxford/Cambridge and then refused the privilege, or do you in actual fact mean 'declined to apply'?
    I was offered a place but it wouldn't have been my idea of 'the best years of my life' that are supposedly your years at university.

ReputationRep:
    everyone who got into oxbridge from my college were knobs.

ReputationRep:
    You spend all your day around intellectuals. In most other universities there is more diversity in terms of intelligence levels and social class. Therefore in the real world you won't be able to handle the variation. Also you are encouraged to grow academically rather than grow as a person and that comes through going out having fun often and not just through books.

The people from my school who went to oxbridge, nobody doubts their intellectual brilliance but as a person, they weren't socially smart and even naive to a certain extent. My point is Oxbridge drills people to achieve academic success rather than the whole 'student experience'. Part of the reason I declined to go there.
    In fairness, the people from your school who went to Oxbridge were probably socially inept to begin with. I doubt Oxbridge made them like that!

Also, it doesn't make much sense to say there is more diversity in terms of intelligence levels at other universities. If you've got AAA, you're probably going to go to a good uni, and I doubt the intellectual diversity at, say, Bristol is a lot better than at Oxbridge. You don't go to university to mix with people of varying intelligence...it's just not the point. You still have your friends from home as well, so I don't get what the problem is.

As for not going out and having fun, I'm having plenty fun here. I go clubbing several times a week, spend most evenings in the bar, play sport, watch daytime tv etc as well as doing the intellectual stuff. I'm tired of people thinking you can only have one or the other if you go to Oxbridge. I feel like I've had the 'student experience' you're talking about, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    My point is Oxbridge drills people to achieve academic success rather than the whole 'student experience'. Part of the reason I declined to go there.
    Why can't you have both? Maybe oxbridge attracts people whose idea of a "student experience" involves occasional contact with books?

(Original post by Craghyrax)
    Apparently Caius have some ancient rule that allows people with firsts to keep goats penned up in one of their courts. Will that do?
    Seeing as I'm not at Caius, you're just making it worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bugonawire)
    Mature and eloquent. Well done.

(Original post by bugonawire)
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    In fairness, my brother is studying at Oxford. He has no common sense, doesn't budget, brings his all his washing home to my mum at the end of term (!) and can't even boil an egg. I'm not saying that this is the case with all people who go to Oxbridge, but the fact that he'll live in halls for the remainder of his degree means he's not going to learn about all the boring crap that students at other unis have to deal with; council tax (well, how to not pay it), rent, power, cleaning and cooking for himself and so on. He's going to come out incredibly well-versed in his subject, but he's not going to come out capable and organised for the real world.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but I do think that living in-college the whole way through a degree can really hamper your development as an adult if you're not the kind of person to seek out adult behaviours already (i.e. if you're not already mature, really).
    you realise that we went there when we were 18/19, right? not 5 years old. if you can't cook, clean, pay bills and generally look after yourself by that age then I don't think you can blame oxbridge for it. Uni shouldn't teach you that stuff when you're already an adult, you should learn it at home when you're like 12 or 13.

ReputationRep:
    I was offered a place but it wouldn't have been my idea of 'the best years of my life' that are supposedly your years at university.
    ...and you know that because you have first-hand experience/tried it out? No. So instead you're at Loughborough. Good for you. I hope you're enjoying the "experience" and having the "best years of your life", because you'd probably have had a **** time here with your attitude and misconceptions.

(Original post by vapid slut magician)
    you realise that we went there when we were 18/19, right? not 5 years old. if you can't cook, clean, pay bills and generally look after yourself by that age then I don't think you can blame oxbridge for it. Uni shouldn't teach you that stuff when you're already an adult, you should learn it at home when you're like 12 or 13.
    i dont know how to cook or clean stuff or do anything financially.
    im going to hopefully learn a few bits and bobs before i go to uni in the summer.... the essentials you know?
    and im planning on going catered for the first year..
    its second year where you move out and get your own place that you truly become an independant adult i think.
    living in halls for your whole degree won't prepare you at all.. i agree with what that other person said about it... cant remember their name though so sorry
    but yeah..youll finish your degree... and then what? move back home cos you cant do anything yourself? i dont think sooooo!!!!!
    thats why moving out to a house after your freshers year is so important i think.
    it helps make the transition between teenager and adult.
    and you dont get that at oxbridge im afraid.

(Original post by jcb914)
    ...and you know that because you have first-hand experience/tried it out? No. So instead you're at Loughborough. Good for you. I hope you're enjoying the "experience" and having the "best years of your life", because you'd probably have had a **** time here with your attitude and misconceptions.
    i agree with holty-dave im afraid.
    they are probably having the best years of their life... whereas at oxbridge theyd be cooped up doing work 12 hours a day with no time to do anything remotely fun, except tea-parties.

well.. thats what ive heard from people my sister knows who went to cambridge anyway. i dont know as much about oxford.

go holty-dave!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhellie)
    im going to hopefully learn a few bits and bobs before i go to uni in the summer.... the essentials you know?
    its second year where you move out and get your own place that you truly become an independant adult i think.
    living in halls for your whole degree won't prepare you at all.. i agree with what that other person said about it... cant remember their name though so sorry
    but yeah..youll finish your degree... and then what? move back home cos you cant do anything yourself? i dont think sooooo!!!!!
    thats why moving out to a house after your freshers year is so important i think.
    You shouldn't need to get that from Oxbridge, or any university!

And yeah, everyone who graduates from Oxbridge "goes back home because they can't do anything". :rolleyes: Generally, people do know how to do things like washing, shopping and cooking. Compared to our work, it's a breeze to learn.

ReputationRep:
    they are probably having the best years of their life... whereas at oxbridge theyd be cooped up doing work 12 hours a day with no time to do anything remotely fun, except tea-parties.

well.. thats what ive heard from people my sister knows who went to cambridge anyway. i dont know as much about oxford.

go holty-dave!
    :rolleyes: You're not here, so you have no opinion. I know plenty of people who go out clubbing, to parties or wherever else 4-5 times a week or more. Yes, it is hard work, but if you manage your time well then there is lplenty of time to do fun stuff.

ReputationRep:

go holty-dave!
    Well you know nothing about cambridge, i'm sure you know at least that about oxford

ReputationRep:
    yeah me and my Cambridge 1st and masters from Oxford are gona go back home and live with mum and dad incase the big bad world gets me. what rock do you live under? you're being so ignorant I could die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    love it!
    Camebridge didn't, they rejected me.

WAAAAAAAH

jk i didn't even apply to Oxbridge

(Original post by jcb914)
    if you manage your time well then there is lplenty of time to do fun stuff.
    so... you need to cram everything in basically. squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze every second out of your university years eh?
    what about "me" time?
    dont get none of that do you!

you can go to amazing universitys and get amazing degrees and have an AMAZING time... without having to put 12 hours work a day in (again this is the figure i have heard from friends at cambridge)
    why bother when you dont have to put so much stress on yourself?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.