Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puck_1991)
    I think many people here are forgetting something obvious: Cambridge is a PRIVATELY funded University. This means, among other things, that they have the right to ACCEPT or REJECT anyone on whatever grounds they want. So, even if they DID decide to reject anyone based only on where they come from, or their etnicity, etc. even if it wouldn't be fair, they would be in their right to do so.
    Cambridge is actually a publicly-funded university; most of its funding comes from the government. (You, being an international student, and so not fulfilling the criteria for British government funding, would, however, have to pay full fees.) All of the major UK universities are publicly-funded, as opposed to the system in the US.

The do have the right to accept or reject whoever they want, however. Technically it would be against British discrimination law for them to reject someone simply on the basis of, for example, ethnicity -- but it is incredibly hard to definitively understand the reasons why someone has been rejected, so they could probably, de facto, do it. If it became a serious issue, I'm sure it would be picked up by the national press though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry I always thought it was privately funded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlwhocomplainstoomuch)
    I'll leave the Greek alphabet to the mathematicians, thank you very much.
    :rofl:

She sounds like a great candidate.

That really is a waste of webspace.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Cambridge is actually a publicly-funded university; most of its funding comes from the government. (You, being an international student, and so not fulfilling the criteria for British government funding, would, however, have to pay full fees.) All of the major UK universities are publicly-funded, as opposed to the system in the US.
    No, she wouldn't. Spain is a member of the EU, so she'd be paying fees at the home student rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    :rofl:

She sounds like a great candidate.

That really is a waste of webspace.
    To be fair, mathematicians do use the Greek alphabet. I don't know what the characters symbolise, because I'm not that intelligent, however!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    No, she wouldn't. Spain is a member of the EU, so she'd be paying fees at the home student rate.
    Ah, I didn't know that, I thought it was merely domestic, in the strictest sense, citizens who were applicable.

ReputationRep:
    Proposal: lower case theta is the best letter in the Greek alphabet, and one of the best symbols in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Proposal: lower case theta is the best letter in the Greek alphabet, and one of the best symbols in general.
    Definitely! θθθθ

ReputationRep:
    \theta

Yeah, it does have some kind of unique feel to it. I quite like \phi as well, though.

ReputationRep:
    So wait, she's got a good degree somewhere else but still hasn't got over not getting an offer from Cambridge?
    I think that is more of a "look, I did well, people may be wondering" type thing - the big story it would appear came out before she accepted the place at Warwick, so not getting over isn't quite the angle here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhellie)
    oh academically you'd be amazing yes... no doubt about that.. but thats all you'd know how to do.
    you'd collapse in the real world no doubt about it unless you'd magically learnt those skills somewhere else during your time in the bubble that is oxbridge!
    Haha, ok. Guessing mummy and daddy do everything for you. I could cook before coming to university. Paying rent is hardly difficult if you've enough motor skills to wield a pen and fill out a direct debit. Most people do their own laundry here (though again, already knew how).
    When I moved to London for the summer for a job, I coped fine with all the real world issues you seem to think we Oxbridge types would have problems with.

Just get over the fact that you're not good enough to be here, please.

ReputationRep:
    well I liked it

ReputationRep:
    Here lies hobnob, the fountain of common sense knowledge. Personally I think you should just start all your answers with yes or no hobnob! :p:

As for the Greek alphabet, surely just picking up on it would have been of some benefit? I haven't actually read the article properly so what I'm saying is probably ********, so nothing new, but if the interviewer was mocking about them not realising it was Greek, perhaps there was something within the context of the text that suggested it was Greek?

ReputationRep:
    She didn't even linger on what she thinks the implications of her social background did in the interview.
    The bloke might just have a thing against Essex. I know a lot of people that do.
    I know a girl from South east London that got into Cambridge with ease, and it's obvious she is different -with her accent and fashion sense- to the other students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kink)
    I know a girl from South east London that got into Cambridge with ease, and it's obvious she is different -with her accent and fashion sense- to the other students.
    So, what is your point? She is different to most other students, but you'd expect different accents at any university that doesn't recruit solely from the South east of london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    In December 1941, Germany declared war on the United States.
    A.k.a stupidest move in history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    What about all the society activity - theatre, comedy, debating, sport, anything you can imagine really! There's TONS going on.
    It's an excuse for more drink? Although like most other people, I'm going to have to big up my extra curricular commitments because everyone else does including being part of a student-staff consultive committee and creating the website for Durham's Amnesty International group, when I get started on Dreamweaver some time...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ploop)
    Here lies hobnob, the fountain of common sense knowledge.
    I am not lying.:hmmm:
    Personally I think you should just start all your answers with yes or no hobnob! :p:
    No, I don't think so.:p:
    As for the Greek alphabet, surely just picking up on it would have been of some benefit? I haven't actually read the article properly so what I'm saying is probably ********, so nothing new, but if the interviewer was mocking about them not realising it was Greek, perhaps there was something within the context of the text that suggested it was Greek?
    Well, apparently she was applying for English, so depending on which period the text she got was from, it could easily have included a couple of words in Greek. But obviously that doesn't mean she'd have been expected to be able to read and understand them.

ReputationRep:
    Well, apparently she was applying for English, so depending on which period the text she got was from, it could easily have included a couple of words in Greek. But obviously that doesn't mean she'd have been expected to be able to read and understand them.
    I got the impression from the newspaper article that she couldn't identify that what she was shown was Greek. Personally, I'd expect any applicant to any university to be able to identify writing in Greek (as opposed to translate it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    So, what is your point? She is different to most other students, but you'd expect different accents at any university that doesn't recruit solely from the South east of london.

That the woman is blaming her own background for the interviewer's perceived dislike. She might not have been the greatest student, or she may have been a bad interviewee. She is the one who places emphasis on blaming her hometown.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.