Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied to cambridge this year, and yes i found the interview very hard, but if i dont get in, its not because i was treated harsher than anybody else, but because there were othrs better than me. What advantage would it be to cambridge to not accept the best candidate.

This girl really is sour grapes. I love the way she criticises the cambridge course, but if it was so bad, why did she apply there in the first place.

It is clear to me that this girl was used to getting all she wanted and always coming top, but when the bar was raised, she just couldn't hack it.

ReputationRep:
    She probably had some cause to be upset (as it seems she was very upset already after the interview, not just after the rejection). I also don't see why it was necessary to comment on her accent at all.

However she does sound a bit like someone who just takes things very personally. Probably because she was very used to praise. Incidentally this might be one reason that she was rejected.

For example, I know a girl who sometimes asks me for "advice", but if I try to explain to her that the experimental approach she is taking doesn't make much sense scientifically, she gets all offended, although I'm only addressing the scientific basis of her argument - there is no personal component to it at all! (I even like her! lol)
    I think this is a very bad attitude for a scientist.

I imagine the same is true for any other discipline. You cannot have an academic discussion with someone who will interpret every counterargument as a personal attack. If someone comes across like that at an interview (any interview), I'd imagine they'd be rejected.

I'm not saying that was the case here. Obviously we don't know what happened. From what she describes, she does seem to have been treated unfairly, but maybe that's not the whole story.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to email a link of this thread to the girl :teeth:

:angel:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I would love to email a link of this thread to the girl :teeth:

:angel:
    You'd make the headlines.

'OXBRIDGE REJECT ATTACKED BY BIG BAD OXBRIDGE STUDENTS'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jigglypuff)

Lol. It would be worth it for the entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    'Oxbridge reject gets first shocker' :rolleyes:
    I wonder how many other 10's of 1000's of people have done that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jigglypuff)

:rofl:

Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I WON THE THREAD :banana:
    Quote from Milgram's "Obedience to Authority" of an Engineer who underwent one of his psychological tests and found out he was willing to administer death-inducing shocks to innocent individuals under instruction:

"Although I am employed in engineering, I have become convinced that the social science are much more important in today's world" (Milgram, S (1974, pp 69) Obedience to Authority. Harper and Row)

:yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Quote from Milgram's "Obedience to Authority" of an Engineer who underwent one of his psychological tests and found out he was willing to administer death-inducing shocks to innocent individuals under instruction:

"Although I am employed in engineering, I have become convinced that the social science are much more important in today's world" (Milgram, S (1974, pp 69) Obedience to Authority. Harper and Row)

I may be remembering that test wrong, but aren't the people administering the tests not told what the power they are inducing will do? It just tells them the power so they aren't really causing 'death-inducing' shocks under command any more than pressing a button which you don't know what it will do under command.

But I could be remembering the experiment completely wrong , if so forgive me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    I may be remembering that test wrong, but aren't the people administering the tests not told what the power they are inducing will do? It just tells them the power so they aren't really causing 'death-inducing' shocks under command any more than pressing a button which you don't know what it will do under command.

They are given a scale up to 420 Volts, which is labelled "DANGER: SEVERE SHOCK", and a further scale of 420-450 Volts labelled "XXX" and the "learner" actor makes extremely outward signs of extreme pain, including screaming that they have a heart condition etc. It's very probably that such a shock would have cause people to die. 60% took the actor up to 450 volts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)

Well, they could hear the screams of the test subject and then eventually a stony silence, so I think they had a fair idea of what pressing the button seemed to be doing.

ReputationRep:
    One evidently poorly documented unscientific experiment does not constitute a proof :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Also, Trinity College is the perhaps the most 'prestigious', conservative college at Cambridge -- she should be allowed to apply wherever she wants, but she should also be aware that if she applies to a college that appears to be in the 19th century...
    (Original post by Drummer23)
    maybe she went to Warwick due to choice, since the people at Trinity were - like someone who comes to mind - rather up themselves.
    I'm a fourth year student at Trinity and during my time here I've met a fair few students. I'd just like to say that the vast majority of Trinity students aren't up themselves and that the college is most definitely not stuck in the 19th century!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)

:five:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.