Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I distinctly remember wanting to cry in one of my Cambridge interviews, but instead I said "I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that. But I do know ..."

Maybe she should have stuck up for herself more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Ah, so you're a troll. That's ok then. I think its quite easy to find detailed posts representing my views on the matter in the forum, so you can read those if you care. Meanwhile I'll just neg rep you, because I find academic snobbery sickeningly reprehensible.
    I'm not a troll, how insulting! I just wished to point out certain discrepancies between subjects at Oxbridge. That said, I am currently doing the mother of mickey mouserie, so awful that I think I will drop out. I do not wish to attack the choices of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyet)
    I'm not a troll, how insulting! I just wished to point out certain discrepancies between subjects at Oxbridge. That said, I am currently doing the mother of mickey mouserie, so awful that I think I will drop out. I do not wish to attack the choices of others.
    Insulting eh? You can talk. And for someone who doesn't 'wish to attack the choices of others' you're doing an impressive job.
    I'm sorry you don't enjoy your degree. I enjoy mine most weeks when I don't have three essay deadlines and a cold.

ReputationRep:
    "Blah blah, my Warwick interviewer was so nice as she patted me on the back and gave me cookies for getting good A-level results"...how pathetic.

The article is old. It is the experience of ONE person, interviewed by ONE particular fellow, aaages ago. She probably exaggerated it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nyet)
    I just wished to point out certain discrepancies between subjects at Oxbridge.
    What do you mean by that?

ReputationRep:
    She had the last laugh

ReputationRep:
    Only after casting it aside, having gained little from it, did I realise that it was written by Eric Griffiths. Not even his book could help me...

(I refuse to give Oxbridge even a second look)
    Yep, without that experience she wouldn't be the same person she is today. She'd never have such a large chip on her shoulder, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to me like nothing more than sensationalism from our radical left wing media.

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly why people have those stuck up cambridge *******s.

But things have changes since then, slightly.

Cambridge still suck balls though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    She had the last laugh
    Indeed, she was lucky not to get an offer. She could have ended up like this poor woman, who now writes for the Guardian. Oh, wait...

ReputationRep:
    And you wonder why I didn't apply to Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    The interviewer was having a bad day, probably.

That said, to people saying she 'wasn't fit for Cambridge' or 'should have stood up for herself' - please do yourselves a favour and re-read the article, the man was throwing personal insults at her. There is a fine line between a personal insult and a provocative question.

I can't understand why it got so much media attention, though? There's a pretty negative underlying message against Cambridge in the article which is unfair, considering it was one girl up against one interviewer on one random day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    And you wonder why I didn't apply to Oxbridge?
    Because they don't offer Broadcast Journalism?

ReputationRep:
    get over it, it isn't a life/death situation, not the end of the world!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Because they don't offer Broadcast Journalism?
    No because I originally studied English.

Because I was afraid of how the people would treat me, being a Mancunian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    The interviewer was having a bad day, probably.

That said, to people saying she 'wasn't fit for Cambridge' or 'should have stood up for herself' - please do yourselves a favour and re-read the article, the man was throwing personal insults at her. There is a fine line between a personal insult and a provocative question.
    I was one of those who said she should have stuck up for herself - and I stand by it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    No because I originally studied English.

Because I was afraid of how the people would treat me, being a Mancunian.
    Well first of all your a-level subjects weren't really suitable for Oxbridge entry, and secondly neither were the grades you achieved. I don't wish to be mean, but you're just being stupid by believing there is some kind of prejudice here towards people from up north. There isn't, end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Well first of all your a-level subjects weren't really suitable for Oxbridge entry, and secondly neither were the grades you achieved. I don't wish to be mean, but you're just being stupid by believing there is some kind of prejudice here towards people from up north. There isn't, end of.
    Lit and Lang are respected, I would say. Plus the fact that I studied Literature in one year and failed the synoptic and still got an A suggests that, yes, I was Oxbridge material. 3 marks off AAA, which is the standard offer, would have sufficed, I'd have thought??? :dontknow: Or is it so elitist you have to be spot on?

Anyway, why do Essex girls wear knickers?

To keep their ankles warm.

ReputationRep:
    i congratulate her!!

ReputationRep:
    what a pile of crap. no one was ever rude or condescending to me at Trinity in the four years I was there and were happy to keep me on for an MPhil (though I subsequently decided not to). im so sick of people like this making out that state school kids get **** on at Cambridge and shouldn't go there. Some of us managed perfectly well to get accepted, make our offers, and come out with good degrees. Why she feels the need to mouth off about this 10 years later is beyond me, get over it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.