Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhellie)
    well cambridge especially... you have to fill out all these extra forms and whatnot showing every little detail about your insignificant (to them) life.... i think if cambridge needs that... then why shouldnt every other uni need that sort of information to help them make their decisions?
    and eugh. i dont know... it just seems so.... snobbyyyyyyyyyy!
    You have one additional questionnaire, designed to make the process fairer and help them make sure they select the right people. Other universities should ask for such information to make things fairer, in my opinion, but many of them don't have the resources/funding to do so.

ReputationRep:
    No chavs at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Why would I have reason to think otherwise Blissy? They are two of the best universities in the country if not the world and therefore attract the best students (not to mention the notoriously wealthy) and when I've encountered snobbery it's not from the poor looking down on the rich (inverted snobbery, if you will) it's from the rich looking down on the poor, always.

TBH I chose Leeds because of the city itself primarily but because I knew the people would be closer to being on my wavelength, if you catch my drift, and so far I haven't seen anything to the contrary.
    Sure, I think wanting to be in a place where the majority will be on the same wavelength as you is understandable. However if you think that everyone is from one social class, you really have no idea what the University is like. I think the student population here is more diverse than the majority of UK Universities if anything. My college is the smallest in the University, and packed to the rafters with international students. There's also a large range of people from different age categories. Cambridge does have snobs, but there's really no 'type' here. We make jokes about the mathmos, and you saw someone ****ging me off for being an SPSer a few pages ago, but that's about it, really.

You haven't 'seen' anything. TSR is very unrepresentative because it attracts a middle class majority.
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    No chavs at Cambridge.
    Depends how you define chavs. I have friends here with chav accents.

ReputationRep:
    shouldn't post this in here - but why do cambridge want to see parents names and addresses on the SAQ?

(Original post by Mithra)
    Because Cambridge believes that it will help the truly good students differentiate themselves from the masses :p:. What on earth do you mean 'on your insignificant (to them) life'. Their ONE additional form asks you to fill out a few more specific details about your course, your module UMS scores and a bit more personal statement stuff. Doesn't sound like every detail of your life to me, nor do they think "oh look at this person's pathetic life".
    apparently they ask for class sizes and everything.
    i just dont like the way they choose people really. its not fair at all.. and like in that interview where the guy looked down on her from being from essex.
    thats just awful. i wouldnt want to be somewhere that chooses people over other people perhaps just because theyre from a "better" area.. like if theyre exactly the same in every other way.
    its stupid.

oh and i dont believe in entrance exams really. unless all unis do them. theyre stupid too. like the STEP paper apparently you have to get a tutor for specially because its stuff you dont learn otherwise.
    and what if you cant afford that tutor.
    its STUPID.

ReputationRep:
    i just dont like the way they choose people really. its not fair at all.. and like in that interview where the guy looked down on her from being from essex.
    thats just awful. i wouldnt want to be somewhere that chooses people over other people perhaps just because theyre from a "better" area.. like if theyre exactly the same in every other way.
    its stupid.
    Quite the opposite in fact. Cambridge give weighting to your application if you come from certain (lower achieving) schools in certain (more economically deprived) postcodes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    its stupid.
    How is interviewing people and talking to them face to face LESS fair than just making a decision based on your UCAS? Notice that the interviewer never said anything about her being from Harlow, she just felt that he 'sneered' at her about it. She probably had some sort of feeling already that she was not as good because she was from Harlow and so heard something that could just as easily not have been there at all.

oh and i dont believe in entrance exams really. unless all unis do them. theyre stupid too. like the STEP paper apparently you have to get a tutor for specially because its stuff you dont learn otherwise.
    its STUPID.
    You don't need stuff that you don't learn in A-level, its just applied in a different way. A tutor helps but is not vitally necessary.

Why don't you believe in entrance exams? Surely they are just the same as any other test?

ReputationRep:
    well cambridge especially... you have to fill out all these extra forms and whatnot showing every little detail about your insignificant (to them) life.... i think if cambridge needs that... then why shouldnt every other uni need that sort of information to help them make their decisions?

:rofl: Because they don't have as many applicants to choose between, and aren't so good at trying to take as many facts about a person into account as possible when making the decision?

Lol - that makes them the least snobby and the most open minded!

ReputationRep:
    its STUPID.
    But, evidently, not all universities are equal.

ReputationRep:
    what a weak article.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]
    Depends how you define chavs. I have friends here with chav accents.

Like me! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    No, hers is worse!

ReputationRep:
    well cambridge especially... you have to fill out all these extra forms and whatnot showing every little detail about your insignificant (to them) life....
    i filled out one extra form which was just a repeat of my ucas form and left the 'anything you want to add' type box empty. Took about 5 minutes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    its STUPID.
    I'm not a mathematician, but I'm pretty sure that's complete nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Funny, cause in my experience I've had it the other way (though this was itself founded on the ill-formed judgement that I was born wealthy?!). When I was at Cambridge I once had some locals sneer at me "born with a silver spoon". Nothing could be further from the truth. Snobbery does work both ways.
    I like you, because of your Coldplay sig. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    its STUPID.
    Maybe you just cannot manage the exams, and thus do not like them? Oxbridge are looking for academics, the best academics in most cases, and since many think the current examination system is flawed they must differentiate between two candidates somehow.

its stupid.
    One case =/= every case. Just because the one or two times someone is treated horribly gets publicised it does not mean 100's of interviews where candidates are treated with respect and common courtesy don't happen. People just don't find the need to go to the media with these stories; its sensational sob stories that sell newspapers, something the British public can have a good moan about.

Asking class sizes, UMS and such is also not stupid. Class sizes can be a huge problem in getting the right education at the level we are talking. Some schools will have much smaller amounts of students in lessons and this means each individual will get more attention and thus is more likely to get better grades (not in all cases, obviously). Large classes reduce proper contact time and thus if one does not understand a theory, process or idea then it may be harder to get the teacher to explain it individually in the detail that student needs.

Finally, I reiterate that they are looking for the best possible academic students they can get; UMS scores are very indicative at at least how good at exams a student is, but also intelligence. Someone who just scrapes an A is, and I use this term lightly, worse than someone who gets 100%, or 90%, surely? Until A*'s come in UMS's are important for Cambridge for exactly that reason.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, look at all the love in this thread now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Nina)
    *gasp* Blasphemy! Cambridge don't allow in anyone who doesn't speak in a perfect 'received pronunciation'. In fact I heard that they are bringing in a test to ensure that you aren't faking it this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I'm not a mathematician, but I'm pretty sure that's complete nonsense.
    It is complelte nonsense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.