The Student Room Group

AQA response to A-level Chemistry Paper 2 reported leak

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Talkative Toad
that would be unfair for people who did way better in paper 2 than in paper 1&3 but didn't cheat

Not necessarily bcuz the grade boundary wud be out of 195 not 300. And no one cheated on paper 1 and 3 so it would be fair. Idk its just a thought i had and someone else mentioned it too 🤷*♀️
Original post by faizahkhan
Not necessarily bcuz the grade boundary wud be out of 195 not 300. And no one cheated on paper 1 and 3 so it would be fair. Idk its just a thought i had and someone else mentioned it too 🤷*♀️

yeah but some people could be relying on paper 2 to boost their grades, wouldn't be fair to punish people like @kndqwbdadlawjdb because of cheaters and AQA screwing up, That's just me though.
i really hope they still credit paper 2! came out of that exam buzzing cuz it was the best chemistry exzam i had sat, only to see online later that it was leaked...
Original post by Spelunker
i really hope they still credit paper 2! came out of that exam buzzing cuz it was the best chemistry exzam i had sat, only to see online later that it was leaked...

It’s not fair at all because even if they hypothetically made you sit it again with their back up paper, people won’t perform the same! I always found paper 2 easier (and got a higher grade for it in the end) without that paper I wouldn’t be sat in Med school right now, so fingers crossed for you!
Surely the best thing to do is let the grades inflate a tiny bit so that its not unfair to the majority who sat it legit. They're not gonna catch the cheaters so better to have a few more students with A/A* grades than ruin hard working students' A-levels? I do OCR and I really liked the paper 2 that I sat so I would hate to see some of the AQA people lose their valuable work.
Original post by Talkative Toad
that would be unfair for people who did way better in paper 2 than in paper 1&3 but didn't cheat

I agree , however if you don't complain they will simply mark paper 2 looking for an unusual distribution . If they don't find anything significant they will just accept the results . Any grade boundary change that they carry out could be minor and you will be cheated of your deserved grade. If people complain in numbers and strongly they will be forced to give out higher grades.
Original post by SuttonOG
No he isnt, are you all stupid? AQA have literally said they still arent upping grade boundaries.

Firstly im female :smile: and secondly every year grade boundaries change bc they depend on how the cohort does. You're confusing grade boundaries with percentage of ppl who can get A/A*s etc when theyre not the same thing.
It would be silly to keep grade boundaries the same as 2019, as, for example, if the paper is much harder, they will obviously decrease or not enough ppl would get the marks required to acess top grades---- if the percentage in 2019 is 80% for an A* but no-one in 2022 manages to get 80% ofc they change the grade boundaries accordingly by using their normal distribution curve, they wouldnt stick to grade boundaries from previous years and just say oh, no-one can get an A*
More ppl will get higher grades then in 2019, but the mark which determines this---the grade boundaries---will change depending on how the cohort does- which is why its a worry if ppl had the paper in advance- bc the grade boundaries will naturally go up unless AQA gets their act together and does something
Original post by Philpiritin
I agree , however if you don't complain they will simply mark paper 2 looking for an unusual distribution . If they don't find anything significant they will just accept the results . Any grade boundary change that they carry out could be minor and you will be cheated of your deserved grade. If people complain in numbers and strongly they will be forced to give out higher grades.

I don't do AQA chemistry but yeah I don't think that discounting paper 2 would be fair and this will simply create an unbalance between those that sat AQA vs Edexcel vs OCR. Sucks for people who did fabulous on paper 2 but trash on paper 1 and didn't cheat. I used to think that OCR was the worst exam board, oh boy was I wrong.
@Talkative Toad pLEASES NOOO I WANT TO CRY THIS IS ALL TOO MUCH IVE HAD THE TOUGHEST 2 years of my life and I still even though I’ve struggled I revised really hard it took a lot of courage. I liked paper 2 😭 this is a nightmare
Original post by Student5cience
@Talkative Toad pLEASES NOOO I WANT TO CRY THIS IS ALL TOO MUCH IVE HAD THE TOUGHEST 2 years of my life and I still even though I’ve struggled I revised really hard it took a lot of courage. I liked paper 2 😭 this is a nightmare

I hope that AQA are going to be fair with this, Disclaimer: I don't work in education, I don't think that their method is fair. Yeah I liked my Chem paper 2 too.
Original post by faizahkhan

But as a proportion of the marks available those who are great at organic chemistry would be hoping that paper 2 would increase their average, and those who are better at inorganic would / should have their average brought down a bit, so just discounting the paper would be unfair. Having said that there is no "fair" answer (re-sit is unfair in different ways for example, TAGs ditto, and moderating papers - are they really going to drop someone down a grade bc their paper 2 looked a lot better than their other papers?) because some people have behaved unfairly by cheating. AQA may get a lot of chemistry appeals this year!
Reply 71
Original post by kndqwbdadlawjdb
I'm a little concerned about "monitoring for any students with suspicious performance on this paper" because this paper went MUCH better than my paper 1 and I don't reckon I'm gonna have a performance that good on my paper 3 either which is going to make me look a little strange. Anyone else feeling similar?

YES!! Paper 1 for me wasn't good in comparison to paper 2. Obviously I haven't got an amazing grade on paper 2 but I have probabaly done a bit better which could make me look suspicious?

Quick Reply

Latest