Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What can I do to improve my flexibility?

ReputationRep:
    Yoga.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely!! Yoga is the best way to improve flexibility. You can become the bendiest

ReputationRep:
    Yoga

ReputationRep:
    Cod Liver Oil.

And Yoga.

ReputationRep:
    yoga

or, if you don't want to, stretch - especially before bedtime
    when you do that, try to go slightly further down in the splits (for ex) every time.. but carefully! you dont want to overwork something

ReputationRep:
    Gymnastics classes?
    Always stretch after warming your muscles up first though, there's nothing worse than stretching cold muscles. Go for a run etc before hand.
    Do some simple home exercises like watching TV while sitting in a straddle shape, or lie on your back with your legs in side splits and let gravity do the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeautifullyTragic)
    Do some simple home exercises like watching TV
    My brain so didn't comprehend the rest
    I'm hypermobile, so double jointed, naturally flexible. It hurts after a while.

Just be gentle with yourself, and Yoga's really good (I find it can muck with my bones in certain positions, especially as my hips have a tendency to sublux) but a lot of it does help increase both vitality and flexibility

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumTheory)
    My brain so didn't comprehend the rest
    I'm hypermobile, so double jointed, naturally flexible. It hurts after a while.

Just be gentle with yourself, and Yoga's really good (I find it can muck with my bones in certain positions, especially as my hips have a tendency to sublux) but a lot of it does help increase both vitality and flexibility
    LOL, double jointed - that's a myth!! :yep:

To the OP, Yoga is probably what you need. Barbara Currie has written lots of books about her Yoga and also has DVD's out. I swear by Barbara Currie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    LOL, double jointed - that's a myth!! :yep:

To the OP, Yoga is probably what you need. Barbara Currie has written lots of books about her Yoga and also has DVD's out. I swear by Barbara Currie.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility

ReputationRep:
    See imtired's profile pic for the perfect end result.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does
    And it can hurt like hell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brook Taylor)
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility
    Haha, wikipedia.

I myself am Hypermobile. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Type III - the hypermobile strain.

HMS (Hypermobility syndrome) is in lamen's terms, a connective tissue disorder- a collagen deficiency. It's not about being 'double jointed' - the syndrome does affect your joints, but only in terms of pain. The actual reason for being hypermobile is down to the extreme elasticity of ligaments and tendons, which when over stressed (or in a non-hms sufferer, not over stressed, just used) causes injury.

The term 'double jointed' doesn't really cover it, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    Eat jelly.

ReputationRep:
    I said Yoga first. Stop ruining my moment people!

ReputationRep:
    gymnastiques

ReputationRep:
    Stetches, everyday.

:yy:

And Yoga

ReputationRep:
    Stretch every morning when you get up, and every night just before you go to bed (and I don't just mean stretch your arms up in the air! Spend like 10/15 minutes on your legs in particular). You should see a notable improvement in a few weeks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.