The Student Room Group

Is it possible to study psychology without it at alevel or science?

I have googled this before and the answers vary. typically it says unis prefer a science or psychology and i obviously will have none of that. i’m a year 11 student who’s due to start college in september and i’ve chosen english lit, sociology and criminology. i just wanna make sure that i have picked the right options for me in case i wanted to go into psychology. It’s not for definite but i really enjoy these subjects and have an interest in them. however a further question would be what is the workload to say if i took sociology, crimonology or psychology? i am just not sure what to do here if anyone could help that would be great! thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Isabelle25
I have googled this before and the answers vary. typically it says unis prefer a science or psychology and i obviously will have none of that. i’m a year 11 student who’s due to start college in september and i’ve chosen english lit, sociology and criminology. i just wanna make sure that i have picked the right options for me in case i wanted to go into psychology. It’s not for definite but i really enjoy these subjects and have an interest in them. however a further question would be what is the workload to say if i took sociology, crimonology or psychology? i am just not sure what to do here if anyone could help that would be great! thanks in advance :smile:

In an initial Google search of "psychology degree uk", I found:
- University of Chester's psychology page: no specific A level subject requirements.
- University of Essex's psychology page: same as above.
- University of Exeter's psychology page: same as the 2 above.
- University of Manchester's psychology page: has a list of A levels of which you must have done 1.
- KCL's psychology page: has a list of subjects, like Manchester.

Have a look at university websites, as I've just done for you, and you'll find out what entry requirements are for each university.
Reply 2
Thank you so much!

I'm taking my A levels too next year and I'm planning to go to the clinical psychology field, Im taking sociology, psychology and eng lit, and from all the research I did, mostly all uni's don't really have specific a levels you need to have for psych , even prestigious universities like Cambridge I believe! So i think you're good to go, however just a side note, criminology isn't really regarded as an A level by alot of universities so you may want to consider that too. Good luck!

Hey,

I think a lot of unis vary in requirements so you just have to check specifically - but for most, you do not require to have an A level in Psychology such as Coventry University.

However, if you do want to do psychology as a degree, maybe think whether doing it as an A-level will help you! Especially when gaining a basis of knowledge for your degree. I know people who have studied psychology at A-level and then went on to their degrees and found it useful but again, it isn’t always a requirement. Just see what fits best for you and your interests!

I studied psychology at A-level and found it extremely interesting!

I hope this helps 😀
Sara

Is Criminology an A level? Check it's accepted by any unis you are considering.
Hi there,

Here are the entry requirements for the University of Chichester https://www.chi.ac.uk/psychology-and-counselling/course/bsc-hons-psychology/
We also offer an integrated foundation year if you are interested in psychology but do not meet the course entry requirements yet, or if you want more time to prepare for higher education.

Many of my coursemates did not do Psychology or science A-level and were accepted onto the course here :smile:

Hope this helps,
Rylee
3rd Year Advanced Applied Psychology
Student Amabassador

Quick Reply

Latest