Personal statement to fit two courses

Watch this thread
Down_worlder
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, so I want to apply for natural sciences at Cambridge as I really like the structure, and it would get me to where I want to go - neuroscience research. However, at other universities where they do offer it I would like to apply for straight neuroscience - would there be a way to tailor my personal statement to be good for both courses? If not, which should I place more emphasis on?
booklover1313
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Down_worlder)
Hey, so I want to apply for natural sciences at Cambridge as I really like the structure, and it would get me to where I want to go - neuroscience research. However, at other universities where they do offer it I would like to apply for straight neuroscience - would there be a way to tailor my personal statement to be good for both courses? If not, which should I place more emphasis on?
Have you considered psychology at Oxford? It's quite a scientific course.

Cambridge will understand that your personal statement isn't just for them. You can still put in all the scientific things that interest you, without mentioning studying neuroscience specifically? There is the extra personal statement for Cambridge that you could use to be more nat sci specific? (I believe!)
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....saq/completing
bea_murray0
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge want to see a passion for natural sciences, so if you want a shot at Cambridge, I assume they'll want to see a natsci PS. You can link neuroscience in, especially if you've done further study in neuroscience, e.g. I read X book and discovered I found neuroscience particularly interesting because XYZ. Depending on your other unis, neuroscience admissions departments might not mind neuroscience not being the main focus of the PS, I know med applicants that applied with a medicine PS to neuroscience and got offers, however unis might be more understanding about being a second choice to medicine compared to a second choice to a different course at a different uni, especially if your other choices are also very competitive for neuroscience. You can also email to ask if other universities will accept a separate personal statement for neuroscience (you could try asking if Cambridge will accept a separate one but I doubt it). The other option is streamlining your course choices, e.g. skipping Cambridge to just do neuroscience, or only applying for natsci courses, but I appreciate you have conflicting interests so it's difficult. If neuroscience is what you want to do, you can go to a top uni for neuroscience and arguably that might be better for you since the course is more relevant to your career, but if you like natsci equally (along with the appeal of Cambridge), I can understand the dilemma
Down_worlder
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
Have you considered psychology at Oxford? It's quite a scientific course.

Cambridge will understand that your personal statement isn't just for them. You can still put in all the scientific things that interest you, without mentioning studying neuroscience specifically? There is the extra personal statement for Cambridge that you could use to be more nat sci specific? (I believe!)
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....saq/completing
Interesting.... do you think that psychology would be closer and more relevant to neuroscience than natsci? Because I would like to do that for masters wither way.
Last edited by Down_worlder; 1 month ago
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Interesting.... do you think that psychology would be closer and more relevant to neuroscience than natsci? Because I would like to do that for masters wither way.
The Oxford psychology course is specifically a scientifically oriented one - different psychology courses have varying levels of neuroscience. It might be worth looking at the course content and seeing what interests you.

You could also look into what NatSci modules interest you, and whether you would still like to learn the other subjects in the first few years.
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi!

Whilst applying for university I was in a similar situation with writing one personal statement for a variety of subjects. If you are planning on making Cambridge your firm choice, it is worth emphasising the Natural Sciences aspect of the course. In order to tailor the statement to both subjects, within mine I talked about the subjects I did at A-Level and how these relate to different aspects of the courses I was applying for. If there is a common ground/interest between the two subjects that you can link to your current studies this would be helpful. Furthermore, mentioning of career plans after university is important in a personal statement, by mentioning an interest in both natural sciences and neuroscience research you are also linking the two subjects together.

Best Wishes
Trinity
2nd Year Politics and Sociology
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge (and Oxford) are aware that they have slightly different courses. Cambridge has its own separate short PS so you could focus on natsci on that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (31)
18.02%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (44)
25.58%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (87)
50.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
5.81%

Watched Threads