Turn on thread page Beta

Upset with transsexual friend watch

ReputationRep:
    A close friend of mine has had a FTM sex change operation, is on hormones, and looks very different now. Although I understand that it is what he/she wants, I can't help but feel that they are a completely different person. I know them as a girl, don't know if I can really adjust. It's as if the girl I knew has been killed. It didn't help that I was somewhat attracted to her.

ReputationRep:
    Weird situation buddy - don't know what to say! If you can't handle the change, maybe move on?

ReputationRep:
    Weird indeed. Look at it this way, the female part of your friend will never exist again, so you need to turn off those feelings for "her" and look at "her" as a new male friend. It might be tough but if you still have feelings for "her" you would be hurting yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You have to come to accept that he (which is how you should refer to him) has always been a he internally. Although your feelings for the outward him (or previous him) complicate the situation, and it's not easy to merely 'shut off' residual feelings for him (sorry if that sentence makes you uncomfortable), you need to, before you hurt yourself more.

ReputationRep:
    This will seem kind of harsh but the person you knew, was just an act. you were attracted to a non person, they were acting female to try and fit in when they inevitably never could. the person he is now is the real person, and if you liked the person they were pretending to be you will love the person they really are inside. not sexual love of coarse. maybe the reason you liked them so much is because you thought a lot alike. trust me you will make much better friends then you would of lovers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.