Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok so im looking for some curry experts to help me out a little!!!

i thought i would be adventourous last night and i made a curry from scratch, i looked it up on the internt, got some popular cooking methods and recipes etc..... but decided just to work from what i had and make it up a little!!!

it was lovely and would definatly do it again some time.... problem is (as i kind of improvised with what i had) i dont know what sort of curry its "most" like. eg. tika masala etc. (im just curious really)

heres what i did:

1) in oil, fryed some onions and garlic.
    2) added dried spices (tumeric, cumin, ginger, corianda, paprika and chilli powder)
    3) then added the chicken (cubed)
    4) added a bit of fresh choped ginger and fresh chopped chillis
    5) once chicken had cooked i added tinned tomato's
    6) let that reduce a little then added a bit of yogurt

what sort of curry is this, or does it not count as a "propper" curry

ReputationRep:
    You didn't do this at 3:30am this morning at Nottingham Uni, did you?

ReputationRep:
    lol nope, 6pm coventry im affraid!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I'm going to steal your recipe though !!

ReputationRep:
    Darnit, I really thought this would be the biggest coincidence of my life

Sorry, I'll let you carry on with your thread now :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    I don't know, I'm going to steal your recipe though !!
    make sure you use enough oil.... i read that its that that carries the spices!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candy x)
    make sure you use enough oil.... i read that its that that carries the spices!!!!

Thanks lol

My mouth is watering. 10am is too early for curry, right?

ReputationRep:
    While I don't see why it matters, it sounds sort of madras-ish. Kind of. You butchered the recipe a hell of a lot if that's what you were going for.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, next time dry fry the spices, then gring
    d them. Then they get so much more flavour. Then add the oil and cook
    As for the name, there isn't really one.
    I'd be tempted to put it as 'Generic Faux-Indian Curry' though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    You didn't do this at 3:30am this morning at Nottingham Uni, did you?
    Haha!! I was going to say 'Ask the Indian ghost of curry...'

ReputationRep:
    well alot of the indian curries use a combination or all of the spices you used, there's usually a particular ingredient or combination that makes it a particular dish.
    I'd be tempted to say yours is the tomatoes, the other inredients are used in alot of dishes, although the yoghurt is often a side dish that can be added to make it milder, or sometimes cream is used in the cooking instead. But I'd say that 'cause its just the tomatoes that make it different, you couldn't really name it close to a dish, its closer to one of the curry skeletons..get what I mean?
    It sounds nice! how long did it take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    well alot of the indian curries use a combination or all of the spices you used, there's usually a particular ingredient or combination that makes it a particular dish.
    I'd be tempted to say yours is the tomatoes, the other inredients are used in alot of dishes, although the yoghurt is often a side dish that can be added to make it milder, or sometimes cream is used in the cooking instead. But I'd say that 'cause its just the tomatoes that make it different, you couldn't really name it close to a dish, its closer to one of the curry skeletons..get what I mean?
    It sounds nice! how long did it take?
    took me about an hour, thats with preparing everything though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    Thanks lol

My mouth is watering. 10am is too early for curry, right?
    Its never too early for curry. Or indeed too late

OP, google a recipe for 'Gurkha curry', they are lush. they're even better when made by Gurkha's themselves :coma:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.