The Student Room Group

Should/ how much "support" should universities provide?

Hey everyone,
Through reading through forums and talking with my peers I've realised students/prospective students value the support a uni provides as much if not more than the academic course. I think this has become a fairly common opinion, but the more I think about it the stranger the idea has become. Universities are higher education and research institutes, and so academic support makes sense, but how much is too much? And what about pastoral or financial support?
Just interested in other people's thoughts, I personally feel that my university has really good academic support and options in place for when life doesn't go to plan, but peers on my course don't feel they've had enough support.
What do you think?
Are you counting career service?

Seems uni students get higher levels of support compared to people the same age who got jobs instead... and that doesn't look fair. Is that what you mean?
I feel like it's good to have support, as there's many aspects of life that night harm someone's academic life and therefore harm future goals and ambitions. Support ina way is allowing everyone to have the same playing field no matter what or where they are from and what they experience. So there's no such thing as too much support as long as its within reason and they aren't doing the academic work for them.

My uni which I won't name has a very good system for support and thus has good rankings combined with academic success as both go hand in hand.
(edited 1 year ago)
These are difficult times and it is more than appropriate that universities provide as much support as they can, especially to students who need help to overcome barriers to their learning. There are many talented and dedicated students who would struggle to get by without a little extra help. With the cost of living crisis, some are now even facing difficulties with the basics of rent, food and utility bills.

I came across this thread just after having made a donation through the alumni association of one of the universities I attended. Over the last few years, this university has raised over £100 million to provide scholarships for students with health problems and disabilities or who come from minority groups or low income families. Without this help, some of these students may not have been able to attend university and reach their potential. These scholarships not only provide material assistance but also let the students know that they are valued by all those who have benefitted from their studies in happier and easier times.
Original post by Joinedup
Are you counting career service?

Seems uni students get higher levels of support compared to people the same age who got jobs instead... and that doesn't look fair. Is that what you mean?

Yeah I suppose careers service falls under this category, I know I've found it really useful in both temporary part time work and looking for a graduate position!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending